Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

1 minute ago, helpjpl said:

Missing is Sergeant David Nelson:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Nelson_(VC)

JP

Quite so JP, but I fear Knotty pipped you to the post on this occasion. 

10 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Quite so JP, but I fear Knotty pipped you to the post on this occasion. 

I think the first photo is George Thomas Dorrell.

This is David Nelson:

JP

David Nelson.jpg

1 minute ago, helpjpl said:

I think the first photo is George Thomas Dorrell.

This is David Nelson:

JP

David Nelson.jpg

Ah. It would seem that you are correct after all JP. The missing man was indeed Nelson. Knotty got the right men, but not necessarily in the right order😕

(Reminds me of Morecambe and Wise with Andre Previn)

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

(Reminds me of Morecambe and Wise with Andre Previn)

Andrew Preview to you. Eric's other great alternative name was when they had Reg Dwight on the show and Eric described him as "Elephant John, came on, sang a sad song - got laughs". I can't see a picture of the former chairman of Watford FC without thinking of the quote.

Perhaps the assembled company would consider this gentleman?

image.jpeg.68f868998e42a3d326244dcb704bfce4.jpeg

What I'm looking for is both his names, what he gave one of them to, what it's proper name was and what the letters stand for.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

3 hours ago, neverforget said:

Ah. It would seem that you are correct after all JP. The missing man was indeed Nelson. Knotty got the right men, but not necessarily in the right order

To many glasses this afternoon, should have paid more attention to the pictures, rather than the event itself, spotted Bradbury and assumed the rest as Dorrell replaced Bradbury. 

Hats off to you PJ.

Pete it looks like your gentleman is impersonating Oliver Reed

11 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Andrew Preview to you. Eric's other great alternative name was when they had Reg Dwight on the show and Eric described him as "Elephant John, came on, sang a sad song - got laughs". I can't see a picture of the former chairman of Watford FC without thinking of the quote.

Perhaps the assembled company would consider this gentleman?

image.jpeg.68f868998e42a3d326244dcb704bfce4.jpeg

What I'm looking for is both his names, what he gave one of them to, what it's proper name was and what the letters stand for.

Pete.

Pete. Is it William "Drummer" Kenny V.C. ?

Whoever it is, I've seen better slug-balancing acts. It looks like he's just about to lose it.

Edited by neverforget

To finish off your question Pete, his real name is Ronald McDonald Hutchinson, and the plane is the Reconnaissance Experimental 8, designed by the Royal Aircraft factory Farnborough.

20180102_103806.jpg.9e37ba75976968114f85dbf729314f44.jpg

Who is this???

Links to Pakistan and the Corn Exchange. 

Edited by neverforget

Excellent team answers by Teabreak and Knotty; Teabreak wins the prize biscuit. Or takes the biscuit (I'll get me coat).........

Harry Tate it is. The Reconnaissance Experimental No. 8 was an 'improvement' on the BE2C, although anything with wings would have been. It was still vulnerable to attack despite the novel innovation of having the observer behind the pilot armed with one or two Lewis guns, and had a reputation for being difficult to fly. Despite all of that it was built in large numbers. The RFC wouldn't have a really good two seater machine able to look after itself until the Bristol Fighter (which was a contemporary design) arrived in substantial numbers. You can spot RE8's on the ground by the four blade propellor in contemporary photos.

Pete

(The photograph of Harry and his twirliing moustache comes from Wikipedia and is covered by fair use).

3 hours ago, neverforget said:

20180102_103806.jpg.9e37ba75976968114f85dbf729314f44.jpg

Who is this???

Links to Pakistan and the Corn Exchange. 

Is he George Henderson? (The clues having taken me to the Brighton Pavilion hospital).

8 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he George Henderson? (The clues having taken me to the Brighton Pavilion hospital).

No, but you have the right regiment. I.E. Sikhs.

Just returned from town and seen your new post NF, the gentleman is known to me, so I will refrain from answering.

John

9 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Just returned from town and seen your new post NF, the gentleman is known to me, so I will refrain from answering.

John

I thought he might be😊 which in itself is a large clue for others. 

Went to school in Bromsgrove.

Led about a dozen men against around fifteen hundred of the enemy.

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

He is Eustace Jotham VC.

He is indeed. Well played. 

There are more links on the forum page, amd I am hopeful that John will add some more meat to the bones, and share his tale and street sign picture.

The street name plate is below as alluded to by NF, and I have just found the order of ceremony for his commemorative stone laying.

Today coincidence was that he was born in Linden House, now called Stanmore House, the doctors surgery I just happened to be attending today. 

I was also present at the laying of his VC commemoration stone, back in 2015 and was lucky enough to not only see, but handle his VC in its small display case, which was on loan that day to the town from Bromsgrove School. ( I asked if I could move the case to take photo without flash or reflections)

Followed the Culture page thread which NF added and it seems that  pal eyman was involved in the ceremony so I must have met him at some point.

558A83D7-1DD9-4F42-8739-0D51C3FC4AF3.jpeg

558204B3-1F10-4FC9-B174-82AF294E7B18.jpeg

Thanks for taking the trouble to share that with us John. It all adds such a wonderful personal touch to the story of Eustace. 👍

tr.jpg.2ca167d679253870366c455eab4343da.jpgrt.jpg.7a599cc5b367311abb733f9c68f3d1fb.jpg

Ok. They're getting easier now

What's the connection???

An Englishman and a Welshman.

Sergeant and Corporal.

W+W. Their Earth.

This really isn't too difficult folks.

What do you think is happening in the Welshman's picture, from which I have removed the King?

The other chap is a Guardsman.

Okay, NF the chap on the right is the first Welsh VC, Corporal William Fuller. Still a bit perplexed on the sergeant,thought it might have been John Hogan, but he was with the Manchester’s.

Edited by Knotty

6 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Okay, NF the chap on the right is the first Welsh VC, Corporal William Fuller. Still a bit perplexed on the sergeant,thought it might have been John Hogan, but he was with the Manchester’s.

William Fuller is correct John. Not Hogan though. The answer to the decolorized Guardsman is staring you in the face.