Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

51 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Got him George

That's the fellow. A remarkable chap and proper old clever-clogs

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/obituaries/researcher-who-recognised-the-value-of-collaboration-20140123-31bqz.html

The generals:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gordon_Legge

In addition, his eldest son George Ferguson Legge was killed in action in France as a private.

A most unusual last wish from the dynasty's head:

"In accordance with his wishes, no monument or headstone marks his grave."

Edited by neverforget

Ok. To follow that dead easy one, I revert back to our recent theme of authors. 

This lady was the daughter of a very well known WW1 general. Who is she???

20180108_144756.jpg.db090ffb2d05364077d47907e6b13289.jpg

Primarily an author of children's books, she was a remarkably woman, expert skier, and ran things alone when her husband became a ww2 P.O.W.

Edited by neverforget

5 hours ago, neverforget said:

Pete. I can't believe you missed Lynyrd Skynyrd. They were the highlight of the day. I suspect that 10cc had reduced you to a catatonic comatosed state by their dull set. 

For some reason I'd completely forgotten about them; now you come to mention it I do remember 10cc being dull. My memory is very selective of the event; I can remember how Jagger introduced himself when they finally got on stage and how the synthesizer chords of 'Fool to Cry' drifted out across the crowd, but as for Alabama's finest I can't remember a single thing. It's not as if I didn't like them, I think I saw them at least twice at other venues and they were outstanding.

I'll wait for some more clues on your  off piste lady author, I'm sorry I haven't a clue.

Pete.

6 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

For some reason I'd completely forgotten about them; now you come to mention it I do remember 10cc being dull. My memory is very selective of the event; I can remember how Jagger introduced himself when they finally got on stage and how the synthesizer chords of 'Fool to Cry' drifted out across the crowd, but as for Alabama's finest I can't remember a single thing. It's not as if I didn't like them, I think I saw them at least twice at other venues and they were outstanding.

I'll wait for some more clues on your  off piste lady author, I'm sorry I haven't a clue.

Pete.

I thought the Stones were dreadful at Knebworth. Don't get me wrong, I think they made some incredible albums, but were very much a studio band, who employed some outstanding session musicians. Saw them live twice and couldn't help but cringe from embarrassment. 

My lady author was the daughter of a prominent Aussi general.

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Ok. To follow that dead easy one, I revert back to our recent theme of authors. 

This lady was the daughter of a very well known WW1 general. Who is she???

20180108_144756.jpg.db090ffb2d05364077d47907e6b13289.jpg

Primarily an author of children's books, she was a remarkably woman, expert skier, and ran things alone when her husband became a ww2 P.O.W.

Is she Elyne Mitchell?

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is she Elyne Mitchell?

Indeed she is Uncle. Daughter of "Harry" Chauvel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elyne_Mitchell

Two destroyers destroyed. One survivor.

Who is he???

d2.jpg.2aeac3e4d5ddaf70506c129b391e6de6.jpgd1.jpg.cbedf809b911a84e4a97251509c45de7.jpgss.jpg.5c4a31ebc3fc40a81f8d7b4e2ec67c49.jpg

1 minute ago, michaeldr said:

A most timely subject for WIT

That's what I thought.😊

58 minutes ago, neverforget said:

One survivor.

Not  (in every sense) strictly true

Looking around this subject just now, I see that there has also 'survived' not only his written account, but also one of the guns from his ship

Ah. How misleading of me.🤓

H.M.S. Boadicea had been with them but escaped unscathed. 

After some lengthy checking of the Naval timeline it shows that 100 years ago today we lost HMS Opal and HMS Narborough during a storm in the North Sea, with a single survivor from both ships namely William Sissons.

Didn't pick up the “timely reference” in post #8025

Edited by Knotty

9 minutes ago, Knotty said:

After some lengthy checking of the Naval timeline it shows that 100 years ago today we lost HMS Opal and HMS Narborough during a storm in the North Sea, with a single survivor from both ships namely William Sissons.

Didn't pick up the “timely reference” in post #8025

Correct on all counts John. 12th January 1918. A terrible tale of lost lives.

The full report of the incident, including Sissons' witness statement here:

https://www.gwpda.org/naval/adm1373726.htm

Pictures taken from here:

http://www.gwpda.org/naval/opalnarb.htm

Edited by neverforget

Also on this day (12th January 1918) the Minnie pit disaster occured in Staffordshire. 

20180112_233045.jpg.a4730691677b5579a812fa7bc20dbdc3.jpg

In memory of little Walter Stubbs of Audley, Stoke-On-Trent, United Kingdom, who was one of 156 Miners who lost his life 100 years ago today during the Minnie Pit Explosion. He was just 14 years old, digging for coal to keep local homes warm, and also to fuel the war effort. Of the 156 Miners who died, 48 were under 17.

I think this one may prove to be rather challenging.

These two ladies, both officially titled Lady.....) were two of ten celebrities who signed up to an official charitable action, mainly aimed at fellow "posh" ladies, asking the public to donate precious items in order to support less fortunate infants bereaved by the war.

One of them was an author, dubbed "The most beautiful woman in the world", and was married to a Lord who had been k.i.a. in 1916, and the other was a politician and the grandmother of a famous actress.

jl.jpg.9bebe5b974e354267db520a447655c9d.jpg

Was one of them Elinor Glyn?

And I'm guessing a Bonham-Carter for the other.

Violet?

17 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Was one of them Elinor Glyn?

And I'm guessing a Bonham-Carter for the other.

Violet?

Not Elinor Glyn sJ, but you're bang on the money with Violet Bonham-Carter.

The other lady pictured was a talented artist, and was also heavily involved in the war effort, amongst other things turning her home into a hospital. 

Also on the list of ladies committed to the fund were Consuelo Spencer-Churchill (Duchess of Marlborough), Lady Jellico, and Ellen Terry.

Cynthia Asquith?

1 minute ago, seaJane said:

Cynthia Asquith?

No.

She was the Lady Diana of the time. Known for her etiquette. 

Lady Diana Manners, later Cooper perchance?

Pete.

6 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Lady Diana Manners, later Cooper perchance?

Pete.

Spot on Pete.

Both ladies seen here supporting the Children's Jewel Fund.

http://www.thecourtjeweller.com/2018/01/jewel-history-childrens-jewel-fund-1918.html?m=1

"Children's Jewel Fund"

(originally appeared in the Observer, 12 January 1918)

Pictured:
Assisted by a doll named Arthur (whose sign reads "I am Arthur. Please help all us babies for our absent daddie's sakes"), Lady Diana Manners and Lady Bonham Carter receive pieces for the Children's Jewel Fund, March 1918

The eloquent appeal which was made on New Year's Day on behalf of the Children's Jewel Fund for starting more infant welfare centres throughout the country has had a remarkable response. Not only have magnificent tiaras, necklaces, pendants and other rich ornaments been sent by ladies of title to the Duchess of Marlborough at 175 New Bond Street, but a number of personal relics and treasures have been received, which show the enthusiasm with which the movement has been taken up in all parts of the country.

"I have no jewels of any value," a Lancashire lady wrote, "but I send this little pendant purchased years ago in very happy times at Granada in Spain. It has been valued at five guineas. I wish I had something better to send." Miss Ellen Terry, one of the ten ladies who signed the appeal, has had sent to her half a sovereign mounted as a pendant. It was the last thing the mother of the donor gave her before she died.

Some schoolgirls, who wrote to the Duchess to say they had no jewellery, sent a postal order for ten-and-sixpence. A young naval officer, who had no jewels but sleeve links, "and those," he said, "I must keep," sent half a sovereign. An eyeglass and a gold toothpick, which belonged to the author of "Miserimus" , have been sent by a lady with a ring, which was given to her mother by Lady Blessington. A lady from Glasgow, who called at New Bond Street, was so full of enthusiasm that she promised on her return to Scotland to get all her friends to contribute jewels to the fund. In this case the proceeds are to be specially earmarked for the needs of Glasgow mothers and babies.

Lady Tree has given a diamond pendant and a wedding ring which belonged to a friend who has died; Lady Jellicoe two handsome bracelets; Lady Londonderry a gold bracelet set with diamonds and rubies; Mrs. George Keppel a diamond buckle; Mrs. Reginald McKenna a watch and a long chain of blue enamel set with pearls and diamonds.

A pearl dog-collar with diamond plaques from the Duchess of Marlborough; a diamond tiara from the Countess of Essex; a diamond bandeau from Lady Henry; a pearl and diamond hair ornament from Lady Ward; an antique diamond ring from Lady Bonham Carter; a diamond and turquoise pendant from the Countess of Rocksavag; a pearl and amethyst necklace from the Duchess of Rutland are amongst other rare treasures which have been contributed to the fund. Already the list is so large that our space is too short to do.

It is curious to see how the gifts are sent. Some have come in their original morocco and silk lined boxes, almost as fine as the jewels themselves. Others have been sent in any old tin or box. A diamond ring which has been valued at 250 pounds was sent, for example, in an old matchbox. It does not matter how they come, or what they are, any gift, from a tiara to a wedding ring, is welcomed, and the donor will receive a card which she will be able to treasure a grateful acknowledgment from the Duchess of Marlborough.

As to the need of this fund Lady Henry said yesterday to a representative of the Observer that the greatest war work anyone can do is to help, by saving the babies, to replace the lives that have been sacrificed on the field of battle. The number of centres already established for the care of mothers and babies is not much more than a thousand. Five times this number are urgently needed.

Before any welfare centre was started at all the infant mortality rate in this country was as high as 145 per 1,000. That was ten years ago. With the thousand or so centres in existence the rate is now below one hundred. In New Zealand, where infant welfare has been placed on a more perfect basis than anywhere else in the world, the rate has declined from 100 to 50 per 1,000. It is clear, therefore, that infant welfare can save at least another half of the young lives that are now lost to the nation through avoidable causes.

Every woman is asked to do her part in this "the greatest war work" by contributing just one jewel to help start more of these urgently needed centres. To quote the words of the appeal, every woman is asked "to give of her best so that the pride and joy of another woman's heart may be helped to strong and healthy life."

Gah, I should have got Diana Manners - I think I even read that description of her beauty in Catherine Bailey's 'The Secret Rooms' (about Diana Manners' brother mostly, but including her - and highly recommended).

40 minutes ago, Knotty said:

NF am I going delirious or have you changed your avatar?

I have John.

That's a picture of my gt.uncle Albert aged 17 taken just 4 years before he was K.I.A. at Arras. I've just acquired his picture along with his older brother John who won the M.M. 6 months after Albert was killed. I posted them in the gallery earlier.

I've always wondered what state of mind John was in when he performed his act of gallantry. Was it an act of revenge, or was it a reckless act brought on by grief and not caring anymore? I'll never know of course.