Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

20 minutes ago, Knotty said:

It maybe one of those where although its staring me I cannot see it..bug*er

If you go back over the clues, I feel sure that you will see the fuller picture.

Well played UG, couldn't see the wood through the trees, however UG not William but Wilfred and William Fuller = W+W  & Fullers earth

Edited by Knotty

Who on earth is this ? ? ?

(It is not TE. Photo of TE from Wikipedia added for comparison purposes.)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Uncle George

Hi UG

Can one assume these are not French but Eastern European (of the time) troops, and the lady in question is one of the heroic nursing staff?

13 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi UG

Can one assume these are not French but Eastern European (of the time) troops, and the lady in question is one of the heroic nursing staff?

These troops are not French. The lady is not one of the heroic nursing staff. Nor is she Wilhelm Wassmuss.

I’ve gone through my uniforms books and now convinced they are Romanian Army, so the next task is to identify the lady, nurse or nun? I plumb for a nurse!

This looks like a real toughie to me. I really haven't a clue. 

51 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I’ve gone through my uniforms books and now convinced they are Romanian Army, so the next task is to identify the lady, nurse or nun? I plumb for a nurse!

These soldiers are indeed Romanian. The lady is not a nurse and she is not a nun.

Here's a pen portrait:

"  ... People have criticized [her] as being erratic and theatrical, but one had only to come into contact with her wonderful charm and force of character to be brought entirely under her spell. She always loved her adopted country and worked hard for it ... "

Lady Leila Paget?

Blimey is it really, don’t think that she would have made my radar for a month of Sunday’s.

If it is, nice one UG a very obscure personage.

On 03/01/2018 at 21:22, seaJane said:

Lady Leila Paget?

No, not her.

Think it must be Queen Marie of Roumania- not a flattering picture-which makes her look like Mother teresa's fatter,older sister.

Yes. Image IWM Q77077:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205321863

On 03/01/2018 at 21:50, Knotty said:

Blimey is it really, don’t think that she would have made my radar for a month of Sunday’s.

If it is, nice one UG a very obscure personage.

If you think SHE's obscure, who is this ? ? ? (But he was famous enough to be drawn by the great caricaturist Hirschfeld). He had a VERY interesting War:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Hirschfeld

image.jpg

So was The King

It would be interesting to compare their service records.

Lord Lothian?

No.

(Is the policeman of any significance?)

Yes. His one-time celebrity was as an author of crime novels. I have two of them - they are very dated and laboured.

He was an Irishman, who found himself in Petrograd in 1914. There, as he describes it, he spoke to a "chance-met officer who wore the uniform of some Scottish regiment." This mysterious officer suggested that he join the Russian army - "By doing so you could help us enormously," the officer said. So our chap enlisted as a private soldier in the Imperial Russian Horse Artillery.

12 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

No.

Yes. His one-time celebrity was as an author of crime novels. I have two of them - they are very dated and laboured.

He was an Irishman, who found himself in Petrograd in 1914. There, as he describes it, he spoke to a "chance-met officer who wore the uniform of some Scottish regiment." This mysterious officer suggested that he join the Russian army - "By doing so you could help us enormously," the officer said. So our chap enlisted as a private soldier in the Imperial Russian Horse Artillery.

Charles Barry?

Looks uncannily like Dorothy L. Sayers ...

That is surely a woman?