Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Clifford Hardman Brook, acted as Clive Brook and ex 11th London Regt and MGC. although W**** says Artists Rifles

19 minutes ago, johntanner said:

Clifford Hardman Brook, acted as Clive Brook and ex 11th London Regt and MGC. although W**** says Artists Rifles

Spot on-  Thought it funny he was Artists and not commissioned.   So,2LT, 11th Londons (Finsbury Rifles)

The other ranks are from films he played in- as a Lt in 1929, Captain in 1932(Shanghai with Marlene Dietrich) and a Major in 1937. Curious how his film roles promoted him in sequence.

On 23/12/2017 at 09:40, Knotty said:

think Japanese and in WW2 the Yamato.

Just to bump this one up as he’s been there since 21/12 - another clue  the 4th Carrier Division

That’s the fellow Guest, the last Japanese veteran of WW1 and one of the last admirals of the Imperial Japanese Navy(quote), quite a Naval career.

Here is the link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiaki_Matsuda, there are plenty of other references on the extensive library.

Clean start to New Year, and a Happy one to you GUEST and everyone else on here

John

I hadn't realised we still had a "live one" on the go until just now.

A little early to be calling time on 2017 just yet I think. Surely we could squeeze on or two more out before the approaching deadline. 

20171220_095632.jpg.9018591aca931301f38ecf3c880f65ed.jpg

Escaped P.O.W.

Edited by neverforget

Alan Jerrard,VC  -an RFC  decoration, though he was an officer of the South Staffs, whose regimental insignia he waers.

Is it just me but very easily confused with Anthony Eden?  If the badges were not wrong, I would have gone for him.

1 hour ago, voltaire60 said:

Alan Jerrard,VC  -an RFC  decoration, though he was an officer of the South Staffs, whose regimental insignia he waers.

Is it just me but very easily confused with Anthony Eden?  If the badges were not wrong, I would have gone for him.

Quite so. The only man to win a V.C. whilst on a Camel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Jerrard

Edited by neverforget

1 hour ago, voltaire60 said:

It's just you M. V. Young Ant had what my old mum would have describe as 'matinee idol' looks.

5a46c3961caba_Edeninuniform.jpg.8f53aa07bbb7b40bb517ec45fd79e72a.jpg

Photo from Wikipedia but originally a Getty stock image I think.

9 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

And a nice easy on for the close of the year-   But what is the link with Dresden?       And-even more obscure-with Plymouth???

image.jpeg.69610c3a67e6b6a8682f6c176a00e144.jpeg

image.jpeg

Is this a spot the difference quiz?

If so the top chap is Anthony Quayle, and the other fellow is Harry Brighton. 

Regarding parts two and three of your question; no idea as yet.

No- Anthony Quayle is correct- Just incompetence in loading it twice. Pictured here in "Lawrence of Arabia". Although his own war record in WW2 was distinguished.  The Dresden link should now be quite easy.

Plymouth-well, that is obscure- can't make it too easy-  you lot would have massively over-indulged in calorific intake through Christmas. All those turkey sandwiches  whack the calorie numbers upwards. Only being public-spirited in giving something for your brains to burn them off.

The only link to Plymouth that I have thus far uncovered, is that hosted Tempest by Anthony Quayle's Compass Theatre, with Sir Anthony as Prospero. 

I suspect this may be a little too obscure though?

11 minutes ago, neverforget said:

The only link to Plymouth that I have thus far uncovered, is that hosted Tempest by Anthony Quayle's Compass Theatre, with Sir Anthony as Prospero. 

I suspect this may be a little too obscure though?

Not quite NF-   Concentrate on Quayle's roles as an actor- remember, there has to be a Great War connection or the Mods. will use their new 10,000 volt cattle prods that Father Christmas brought them- all 6 of them. 

His parents were from the Isle of Man and in 1915 there was a sailor from HMS Marksman drowned and now commemorated on the Plymouth War Memorial, his name was William Quayle also from the Isle of Man, some relation to him?

Other than that he was in Lawrence of Arabia as a fictitiously named officer, cannot reference anything for WW1 & Plymouth ....yet

31 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Robert Duvall-

He of the “I love the smell of napalm” in Apocalypse Now?

Quayle narrated 'Reaching for the Skies': a documentary series  on aviation. One of the episodes focused on the Bomber and on bombing strategy. Dresden, Plymouth, Vietnam - all victims of this.

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

He of the “I love the smell of napalm” in Apocalypse Now?

Yes- he.  

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Quayle narrated 'Reaching for the Skies': a documentary series  on aviation. One of the episodes focused on the Bomber and on bombing strategy. Dresden, Plymouth, Vietnam - all victims of this.

UG-  the link with Plymouth is not by Quayle. You have to get Dresden first - then you can work out the link.  Although Plymouth is my home town it is just an odd little story  connected with the answer to Quayle-Dresden..and nothing to do with the bombing of both.

Apologies if I have made it too obscure.....    Let's get it knocked down  so you can get on  with New year's Eve and New year's Day- Here is a pretty direct clue:

Image result for anthony quayle eagle has landed

After systematically going through all of his roles, I assume that the geezer on the right is supposed to Himmler, and so the film would be The Eagle Has Landed. 

I had discounted this, along with all of his others except L.O.A. as not being Great War related.

Confused. 🤕

25 minutes ago, neverforget said:

After systematically going through all of his roles, I assume that the geezer on the right is supposed to Himmler, and so the film would be The Eagle Has Landed. 

I had discounted this, along with all of his others except L.O.A. as not being Great War related.

Confused. 🤕

This should make it easier   The film is not Great War related-but his character had a very interesting Great War- think of Dresden.

image.jpeg.d6488c1f725e03406ace970edf260394.jpeg

I see that Canaris served on S.M.S. Dresden.

After the Battle of Mas a Tierra, and the scuttling of Dresden, Canaris escaped from internment, and on his way back to Germany, he briefly stopped off at Plymouth.

Edited by neverforget

5 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I see that Canaris served on S.M.S. Dresden.

After the Battle of Mas a Tierra, and the scuttling of Dresden, Canaris escaped from internment, and on his way back to Germany, he briefly stopped off at Plymouth.

Spot on -NF- Though I thought "The Eagle has Landed" would have been spotted a lot sooner.  You can have a rest till next year now.  Back on Tuesday.

I'm sure we can squeeze at least one more deserving case in before we close hostilities for the year. 

An outstanding General on two fronts with two General's names.

a1.jpg.d1e4a544d63b7502e19f40b115f64f2d.jpg