Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

19 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Looks uncannily like Dorothy L. Sayers ...

It is indeed. Her creation Lord Peter Wimsey served in the Rifle Brigade during the Great War, was severely wounded and suffered a breakdown. Wikipedia tells us that:

"After the war he was ill for many months, recovering at the family's ancestral home in Duke's Denver ... Wimsey was for a time unable to give servants any orders whatsoever, since his wartime experience made him associate the giving of an order with causing the death of the person to whom the order was given. [His former sergeant] Bunter arrived and, with the approval of the Dowager Duchess, took up his post as valet. Bunter moved Wimsey to a London flat at 110A Piccadilly, W1, while Wimsey recovered. Even much later, however, Wimsey would have relapses—especially when his actions caused a murderer to be hanged. As noted in 'Whose Body?', on such occasions Bunter would take care of Wimsey and tenderly put him to bed, and they would revert to being "Major Wimsey" and "Sergeant Bunter".

Image from here:  https://voegelinview.com/the-inkling-who-wasn-t-there/

22 minutes ago, neverforget said:

That is surely a woman?

Indeed it is. One can tell that we are on the theme of great detectives :)

13 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Indeed it is. One can tell that we are on the theme of great detectives :)

Or novelists???

1p.jpg.24623e9fb7cce4f04ab66ae97d4658df.jpg

Just now, RaySearching said:

Was he a conscious objector ?

Ray

He was indeed Ray.

Mr. Gunn.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Aldous Huxley?

45 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Sullivan Gunn?

No and no gents. He had a couple of affairs with high profile women. One was the wife of a very well known Royal Navy officer, (who was particulary famous in a different role) and the other was the wife of a very well known novelist and playwright. He eventually married one of them.

"Mr Gunn" had a brief career as an actor before settling as an author.

After embarking on yet another marital affair, his marriage came to an end in 1918, and he ended up living with his mistress and her husband in a menage a trois. From this point he descended into mental illness, and spent the rest of his life in a sanatorium.

Think Peter Pan, and the Antarctic. Add a George Bernard Shaw play, and you have him. There you are: More clues than you could shake a stick at. (Not a clue.)

Off to bed shortly. 4.15 start in the morning.

Edited by neverforget

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

After embarking on yet another marital affair, his marriage came to an end in 1918, and he ended up living with his mistress and her husband in a menage a trois. From this point he descended into mental illness, and spent the rest of his life in a sanatorium.

Think Peter Pan, and the Antarctic. Add a George Bernard Shaw play, and you have him.

Gilbert Cannan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_Cannan

JP

This really isn't fair of me (mea culpa, mea maxime culpa), but he was a detective story writer and he did serve in my area of interest ... the photograph [thumbnail from owner site] wasn't taken until 1939.

sJ

WIT.jpg

6 hours ago, helpjpl said:

Gilbert Cannan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_Cannan

JP

Cannan is correct JP. Your link to his wiki page tells all. My picture was taken from here:

https://goo.gl/images/TaYgXa

6 hours ago, Knotty said:

Sullivan Gunn in post#7950 is a play on words

Sorry John I was too dumb to spot that. 

Clearly you knew who he was.

9 hours ago, seaJane said:

This really isn't fair of me (mea culpa, mea maxime culpa), but he was a detective story writer and he did serve in my area of interest ... the photograph [thumbnail from owner site] wasn't taken until 1939.

sJ

WIT.jpg

Is this John Rhode? AKA John Street? He wrote the Dr Priestley novels.

It isn't. He kept his name, but the National Portrait Gallery seems totally unaware of his professional life as an expert on anaesthesia.

I have asked about / mentioned him on the GWF in the past, a clue which may make you smell a rat.

18 minutes ago, seaJane said:

It isn't. He kept his name, but the National Portrait Gallery seems totally unaware of his professional life as an expert on anaesthesia.

I have asked about / mentioned him on the GWF in the past, a clue which may make you smell a rat.

Is it George Washington Crile sJ ?

EDIT: Or perhaps George Crile jnr.

Edited by neverforget

Is it Alfred Walter Stewart ? (a play on the smell of rat stew:D)

Edited by Knotty

Neither. You may have to go rat-hunting in my posts xx

How about A.J. Cronin?

While we wait for sJ to confirm, who is this writer of crime fiction ? ? ?. He had a very interesting life (and death):

image.jpg

Not Cronin, although he did indeed join up as another surgeon probationer RNVR.

Cyril Tawney, coincidentally, wrote a song called Stanley the Rat, although my WIT had trouble with a rat rather than being one.

10 hours ago, seaJane said:

Cyril Tawney, coincidentally, wrote a song called Stanley the Rat, although my WIT had trouble with a rat rather than being one.

William Stanley Sykes?

Author of Essays on the First Hundred Years of Anaesthesia, and also three detective novels.

10 hours ago, Uncle George said:

While we wait for sJ to confirm, who is this writer of crime fiction ? ? ?. He had a very interesting life (and death):

image.jpg

Wild guess: Dashiell Hammett?