Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Who is this??? Killed by "unfriendly friendly fire".

20180116_180355.jpg.f3bd76d526c0b87cb9fb62ffca0e2d40.jpg

Edited by neverforget

Isn’t that photo used an avatar used on this forum? If not its pretty similar 

Edited by Knotty

34 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Isn’t that photo used an avatar used on this forum? If not its pretty similar 

I'm not sure to be honest, but his picture usually appears in conjunction with this chap. 20180116_175843.jpg.6e10d7dccc685a718676977b62a19e24.jpg

Seen as villians by some and as heroes by others. 

Both names please.

Sorry NF, I haven’t yet worked out who the sailor is yet apart from the fact he a member of the Imperial German Navy, but on the subject of the avatar it is used by Melpack.

I hadn't noticed.

This isn't a difficult one. These two spelled the beginning of the end for the German Empire. 

Are these two Reichpietsch and Köbis, the two sailors executed after the protests aboard Prinzregent Luitpold?

Pete.

P.S. That was really hard NF, if I'm right of course. I've had to look into the mutinies and made the mistake of looking forward to Rosa Luxembourg and Karl Leibnicht rather than backwards to the origins. It proved how little I know of the events too.

14 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Are these two Reichpietsch and Köbis, the two sailors executed after the protests aboard Prinzregent Luitpold?

Pete.

P.S. That was really hard NF, if I'm right of course. I've had to look into the mutinies and made the mistake of looking forward to Rosa Luxembourg and Karl Leibnicht rather than backwards to the origins. It proved how little I know of the events too.

Bang on the money Pete. Kobis and Reichpietsch it is.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albin_Köbis

Key players in the Kiel Mutiny. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiel_mutiny

Well done Pete, spent sometime on getting the ship from his tally, there is only one Prinzregent......, but then other things got in the way.

This chap had, in addition to this very fine hat, a very distinguished Great War, and was a Second war 'first'. Who is he ? ? ?

image.jpg

I haven't the foggiest, but I think I might have found a picture of his missus.

483f2d2b77ae7e97ca3661931755a571--lampshades-fine-art-photography.jpg.8e6f6733fa690087f71a128c72fc949d.jpg

If you can’t fight get a big hat !

As per NF not a clue yet, however I’d say definitely German possibly Hussar?

30 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I haven't the foggiest, but I think I might have found a picture of his missus.

483f2d2b77ae7e97ca3661931755a571--lampshades-fine-art-photography.jpg.8e6f6733fa690087f71a128c72fc949d.jpg

If you want to get ahead, get a hat.

18 minutes ago, Knotty said:

... I’d say definitely German possibly Hussar?

Yes and no.

I'm going to have to appeal to your generosity to get anywhere with this one old chap.

15 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I'm going to have to appeal to your generosity to get anywhere with this one old chap.

He was awarded the Pour le Mérite as a Lieutenant during the GW, and the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross as a Colonel during the Second war.

Edited by Uncle George
grammar

Danke schon monsieur por favor.

Ferdinand Schorner?

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

No, not him. Remember, my chap was a Second war 'first'.

He was the first German general to be captured and made a prisoner of war.

I have the name of Johann von Ravenstein captured by  2nd New Zealand Division in North Africa, is this who we are after?

Edited by Knotty

25 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I have the name of Johann von Ravenstein captured by  2nd New Zealand Division in North Africa, is this who we are after?

Yes, that is him. 

"On 27 May 1918, Oberleutnant von Ravenstein and six of his men, mounted on bicycles, dashed ahead of his battalion and seized a vital bridge over the river Aisne near Chemin des Dames. The seven men held French troops at bay with hand grenades until joined by the remainder of the battalion. On 31 May 1918, von Ravenstein's regiment suffered heavy losses attacking French positions near the Chatelet Woods. Ordered to attack again, von Ravenstein and 15 volunteers infiltrated the French lines and occupied the deserted Genevroy Farm in the enemy rear. A French battalion approached through the woods to investigate the farmhouse but was promptly put to flight with many casualties by heavy machinegun fire delivered by von Ravenstein's volunteers."

"Pushing on with his battalion towards the Marne, his troops eventually took 1,500 prisoners and captured in excess of 30 field guns and machine guns. For his accomplishments, Ravenstein received the Pour le Mérite."

Image and text from here:

http://www.specialcamp11.co.uk/Generalleutnant_Johann_von_Ravenstein.htm

and text from here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_von_Ravenstein

This gentleman was allegedly another of the first to achieve a notable event of WW1. He was also a purchaser of whiskey and a bridge fanatic.

4916757D-5D7C-46E5-8A48-28DB3FF451A0.jpeg

19 hours ago, Knotty said:

This gentleman was allegedly another of the first to achieve a notable event of WW1. He was also a purchaser of whiskey and a bridge fanatic.

4916757D-5D7C-46E5-8A48-28DB3FF451A0.jpeg

Whiskey? Or whisky?

If 'whisky', is he Sir James Stevenson, he of Johnnie Walker and the Ministry of Munitions?

Yes indeed teabreak it is a cryptic clue, as is the bridge reference.

UG, no it is Whiskey, and as you can see from above it is a cryptic clue.

If what you see is rearranged you should get him.

I think I know who this is, but rather than bring this round to a premature halt, is it within the rules to add an extra clue for others to follow up?

If so, not only was this man a bridge fanatic, his purchasing of Whiskey meant that he something in common with Tom Bridges.