Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Seconded to the RFC in 1914, this  aviator received his MC in 1915 before achieving his first aerial victory in 1916, and in 1917 he was awarded the DSO for his actions, who is he?

D8EF9982-5D86-4311-8709-B496CC733415.jpeg

Edited by Knotty

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Seconded to the RFC in 1914, this  aviator received his MC in 1915 before achieving his first aerial victory in 1916, and in 1917 he was awarded the DSO for his actions, who is he?

D8EF9982-5D86-4311-8709-B496CC733415.jpeg

I've got him, but I'd say anyone else getting him from your clues was quite a long shot...

Well I made short work of it too. Not a very lengthy list of M.C. and D.S.O. fly boys.

I was looking up something else when his name appeared, and as he has not been on WIT, I thought why not? 

Andrew, as NF said not many MC+ DSO pilots, there is also a bit of a local connection, so I  will wait to see if anyone else comes up with the answer.

ps Got to keep WIT moving:thumbsup:

Edited by Knotty

Other clues then, he was originally commissioned into the Durham Light Infantry, he was an instructor at Eardington in 1915, post award of MC.

4 hours ago, Knotty said:

Other clues then, he was originally commissioned into the Durham Light Infantry, he was an instructor at Eardington in 1915, post award of MC.

Would that be Eardington on the beautiful River Teme? One of my favourite fishing spots. 

Probably is NF, but it also shows me to be making a silly spelling mistake and it should be Erdington ( I should blame spellchecker!)

Put me out of my misery and name him....please:thumbsup:, ive got another WIT to go on.

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Probably is NF, but it also shows me to be making a silly spelling mistake and it should be Erdington ( I should blame spellchecker!)

Put me out of my misery and name him....please:thumbsup:, ive got another WIT to go on.

Ok, it's Wing Commander Selden Herbert Long, known as Tubby. Surprising that someone else didn't find him courtesy of your clues. 

As I'm sure you know, Eardington is a small rural village in beautiful Worcestershire, but Erdington is a far less picturesque suburb of Birmingham.  

That’s the man I was looking for, surprised he wasn’t in WIT before. Received his MC for trench stafing and disrupting transportation

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selden_Long

Let’s try this chap. Photographed here around about the start of WW2, (age mid 40’s) he was a Hungarian born American who was given a very specific order, which with French assistance he carried out, however the outcome was unknown.

18353314-2456-4B8C-BF4B-9EE3BB41ECC9.jpeg

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

That’s the man I was looking for, surprised he wasn’t in WIT before. Received his MC for trench stafing and disrupting transportation

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selden_Long

Let’s try this chap. Photographed here around about the start of WW2, (age mid 40’s) he was a Hungarian born American who was given a very specific order, which with French assistance he carried out, however the outcome was unknown.

18353314-2456-4B8C-BF4B-9EE3BB41ECC9.jpeg

He is Tom Courtenay as Pasha in 'Dr Zhivago'.

image.jpg

Edited by Uncle George

Is he Edward F Younger, the American Sgt. who chose the US unknown soldier for interment at Arlington?

Pete.

P.S. Eardington may be all rural and picturesque but it doesn't have the austere concrete majesty of the Gravelly Hill interchange nearby I think.

Edited by Fattyowls

3 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Is he Edward F Younger, the American Sgt. who chose the US unknown soldier for interment at Arlington?

Pete.

That's a great shout Pete. Unravelled Knotty's clues far more adeptly than I did. 

Good spot as a doppelgänger UG

Sorry Pete, I can see where your coming from but its not him - however he was a sergeant in France

Ah. Game back on 👍

No sir not him either.

He was an archetypal American doughboy given a unique purpose.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Alexander Arch?

I came across him too during my search last night, but discounted him (rightly or wrongly) on the grounds that I had already previously posted him. 

Hi Gentlemen

Indeed he is Sgt A.L.Arch, I apologise if he has been on before, I entered his name into the search and nothing came back so I assumed that he had not been featured. 

Am I right in thinking that the search still covers the original WIT thread?

my clues unique order= Fire, French help= 75mm Field gun

Edited by Knotty

15 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi Gentlemen

Indeed he is Sgt A.L.Arch, I apologise if he has been on before, I entered his name into the search and nothing came back so I assumed that he had not been featured. 

Am I right in thinking that the search still covers the original WIT thread?

Well played Uncle George.

I've tried to paste the link to his previous appearance but can't seem to do it for some reason. 

You actually solved him John in October last year. Post 7401.😊

Edited by neverforget

Just goes to show how your mind plays tricks, I must have remembered him subconsciously, found his name connected with something else, tried to search and didn’t find anything hence posting. 

Here is a link I used :- 

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/history/ceremony-today-to-honor-south-bend-soldier-who-fired-first/article_3e6a73cc-0ae7-5ff1-8191-46ded549d509.html

What is embarrassing is the fact I found him out the last time and couldn’t remember.

No worries John, we've all been guilty of it once or twice before. It's bound to happpen now and again with so many interesting people that the thread has uncovered. 

I wish I had the technical skills, but spreadsheets and stuff like that are beyond my capabilities I'm afraid. 

David did such a fine job, and I still hold out hope that he will return one day, but if not, it's going to be a brave (and clever) man who takes over the mantle. 

In the meantime a search usually does the job.

Speaking of absent friends and comrades, I notice that Stoppage Drill has also been conspicuous by his absence of late. Here's hoping that all is well.

Ghazala has also been conspicuous by his absent, again hope is all well in his camp.

Joking apart with regards the list, slowly working my way through updating the “Names on my medals” thread, so bit busy at the moment.