Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Good one Dai; as was blindingly obvious I didn't have a clue. As usual. Perhaps the team would consider this man; his head wasn't that shape under the helmetattachicon.gifConehead.jpg.

Pete.

That`s a great picture Pete.

Loads of clues in there, but all over my head I`m afraid. Really need to brush up on my uniforms and medals etc.

Hello Pete

Would the gentleman in question have been attached to the RAF in 1918?

John

Hello Pete

Would the gentleman in question have been attached to the RAF in 1918?

John

Not that I am aware of, but he was on 'our' side. The word pioneer could have been was invented for him both in his home and then in his adopted country.

Pete.

Then I think it was his compatriot who became a big name in helicopters

My first though in previous post was Alexander Kazakov

John

Edited by Knotty

It's definitely a name you will recognise, although he was responsible for some amazing firsts before WW1 too. I think you are right on the money John.

Pete.

It's definitely a name you will recognise, although he was responsible for some amazing firsts before WW1 too. I think you are right on the money John.

Pete.

John has led me to the money, Pete, but I can`t bring myself to bag him when John has surely cracked it.

Can I offer up this duo in the meantime???post-95959-0-44914500-1457643499_thumb.jpost-95959-0-32812500-1457644128_thumb.j

Both of these have links with each other, and only one other person on the Western Front, as far as I understand.

Thanks gents

For the record Igor Ivanovich Sikorsky, as Pete said a pioneer in every sense.

John

Thanks gents

For the record Igor Ivanovich Sikorsky, as Pete said a pioneer in every sense.

John

And an outstanding addition to the W.I.T. archives. Great post Pete, and well sussed John.

John is spot on, which sort of rhymes; I'm a poet and I don't knowit.

I was drawn to the photograph initially because I have a wooly hat which makes my head look similarly pointed. At this point Igor Sikorsky and I diverge. I didn't design, build and fly the first multi-engined aircraft or the first airliner, I singularly failed to develop a range of long range flying boats for Pan-Am and I certainly not the man behind the first practical helicopter, nor is my name synonymous with rotor powered flight.

Pete.

Pete disappointed that you did not perform a single feat, poetry eh!

Struggling with this next one,can only make out what looks like an Edelweiss collar badge, and what looks like Austrian valour medals.

John

Crown Prince - later Emperor - Karl of Austria, and Crown Prince - later Emperor - Hirohito of Japan?

The Western Front connection would presumably be either Kaiser Wilhelm II or, more likely, Crown Prince Wilhelm.

Ron

You're in the correct place alright. The second picture is a self-portrait, which might help, but is not the thing that links them. Two of only three such cases on the Western Front. The third has already appeared on here, and was English.

Crown Prince - later Emperor - Karl of Austria, and Crown Prince - later Emperor - Hirohito of Japan?

The Western Front connection would presumably be either Kaiser Wilhelm II or, more likely, Crown Prince Wilhelm.

Ron

I`m sorry for the delay, Ron. I didn`t see your post at first as I was posting a reply at the same time to John`s Austrian medals post.

I`m afraid you`re way off track there Ron, probably because I may have accidentally mislead you slightly.

On the original post, I stated that they had links with each other, and with one other person on the Western Front. This is literally precise as far as I know, but in a later post I have intimated that all three served on the Western Front. Apologies for this, because the two featured were both Austrian, and so actually served on the Italian Front. The missing link certainly did serve on the W.Front, was British, and was essentially a journalist before joining up.

So there we have it. Two Austrians and a Brit. A real "Three peaks challenge". Which extremely rare distinction links them all?

Is that clue vaguely Alpine?

Are we talking mountaineers...Mallory, Or Irvine??

Edit: Not Irvine,he was born 1902 so no war service.

Edit edit: Not Mallory either,although a bit literary, he wasn't a journalist. Picture doesn't look like him either.

If it is it's got to be Mallory he served with the RGA on the Somme, Irvine would have been to young born in 1902.

John

Is that clue vaguely Alpine?

Are we talking mountaineers...Mallory, Or Irvine??

Edit: Not Irvine,he was born 1902 so no war service.

Edit edit: Not Mallory either,although a bit literary, he wasn't a journalist. Picture doesn't look like him either.

If it is it's got to be Mallory he served with the RGA on the Somme, Irvine would have been to young born in 1902.

John

The "three peaks challenge" was indeed a huge hint and almost a giveaway in fact.
However, it has nothing to do with mountains or mountaineers.
The Brit was a one-off. The Austrians were a two-off, but if we look at Russians, they may have been one of hundreds.

Women serving on the front, Dorothy Lawrence the English soldier?

John

Women serving on the front, Dorothy Lawrence the English soldier?

John

Well done John. You`ve found the British link. The two Austrians should follow soon now.

Marie von Fery-Bognar and Jarema Kuz?

There is also the cemetery at Falze di Piava grave with Unknown Woman clothed as an Austrian Officer

John

Marie von Fery-Bognar and Jarema Kuz?

There is also the cemetery at Falze di Piava grave with Unknown Woman clothed as an Austrian Officer

John

It would seem that my two weren`t the only two women who served in the Austrian army after all, even though Wikipedia suggests that they were.

Your bona-fida suggestions are not my pair, though they do deserve to take the points by default.

My first one became known as the heroine of three peaks. Highly decorated and lost a leg. The second was a war artist for the imperial war press bureau and also painted for the Museum of Military History in Vienna.

Aha.

Why didn't you say they were girls!!!!

Viktoria Savs is the one the left.

Drat! I knew there was something I forgot to mention.

Viktoria Savs is correct. Just the artist to go.

Thanks for tidying that one up,uncle.