Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Folks

Great to see the old thread still purring along nicely with the good, the great and the frankly bizarre (and that's just the posters!)

Gosh I have missed it, and the Forum in general, so it is lovely to be able to dip a tentative toe back into the water.

Some of you may remember that In the distant past I was the thread's statistician (totally self appointed of course) but my database is now 112 pages behind. As it already stood at 1155 WITs and WAIWAs (do we still have those?) I think we will be pushing on towards 1500 by now. I wil try and catch up over the summer (yes, absence has not dulled the edge of my OCD).

Anyway my profound thanks to my good friends who have enquired after me in my absence, and I'm very glad to reconnect with this warm, funny, knowlegable community

David

Welcome back matey, we've missed you.

Pete.

Mention of Sooty and Sweep put me in mind of these puppets. Who are they ? ? ?

I'm very rusty at this but is the chap in the middle the Cardinal who brought the Pope's peace proposals to Europe - Pacelli?

David

Folks

Great to see the old thread still purring along nicely with the good, the great and the frankly bizarre (and that's just the posters!)

Gosh I have missed it, and the Forum in general, so it is lovely to be able to dip a tentative toe back into the water.

Some of you may remember that In the distant past I was the thread's statistician (totally self appointed of course) but my database is now 112 pages behind. As it already stood at 1155 WITs and WAIWAs (do we still have those?) I think we will be pushing on towards 1500 by now. I wil try and catch up over the summer (yes, absence has not dulled the edge of my OCD).

Anyway my profound thanks to my good friends who have enquired after me in my absence, and I'm very glad to reconnect with this warm, funny, knowlegable community

David

Really good to see you back, David. A most welcome return to the fold. As Pete says, you have been missed.

Remember....You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. :)

Here's an easy one, a cast iron money bank, if you don't get it at first glance, look at the base

khaki

attachicon.gif0315161702.jpg

attachicon.gif0315161704.jpg

Where`s the cents in that?

I'm very rusty at this but is the chap in the middle the Cardinal who brought the Pope's peace proposals to Europe - Pacelli?

David

David! How wonderful to see you back. No, not Pacelli. Not Italian. Nor French.

David! How wonderful to see you back. No, not Pacelli. Not Italian. Nor French.

Can I ask if they all share the same nationality?

Can I ask if they all share the same nationality?

Well, yes. I was not being rude in my first post - "puppets" is a heavy clue.

"Puppets" as in government?

The bloke in the middle definitely looks like a catholic cardinal.

I don't know why, but the name "Pershing" keeps crossing my mind???

A money box did you say....perhaps I'm thinking "Ker-ching"?

"Puppets" as in government?

The bloke in the middle definitely looks like a catholic cardinal.

I don't know why, but the name "Pershing" keeps crossing my mind???

A money box did you say....perhaps I'm thinking "Ker-ching"?

Yes, a Catholic puppet government. Who CAN they be?

I was interested to learn, a few years ago, that Pershing did not receive his nickname 'Black Jack' because he had a fearsome personality, or similar. No. The nickname was originally 'N****r Jack' - a reference to his service in a regiment of so-called 'buffalo soldiers'.

Hi All

I think it must be The Regency Council of Poland pending the election of a King l-r Jozef Ostrowski, Aleksander Kakowski ( Archbishop of Warsaw), and Prince Lubomirski.

John

My first go then

A reckless participant in the Great War (modern Charge of the Light Brigade),as a Major General he gained more notoriety after 1917,and became the last of a Khanate

post-105748-0-89374800-1458153533_thumb.

John

... and WAIWAs (do we still have those?)

Yes. Who is Max Aitken describing here:

"A defeat does not sour him, even though it depresses him ... He is strictly honest and truthful to other people, down to the smallest details of his life. He will not even tell what is usually known as a 'dinner lie' to get out of a distasteful engagement. Yet he frequently deceives himself." ? ? ?

EDIT - sorry John - it took me so long to post this, it got overtaken by yours. Anyway: no harm, no foul. In the old days we often had three or four running at the same time.

My first go then

A reckless participant in the Great War (modern Charge of the Light Brigade),as a Major General he gained more notoriety after 1917,and became the last of a Khanate

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

John

Is he Roman Fyodorovitch von Ungern-Sternberg? Crazy name, crazy guy.

UG

That's the fellow, bit of a loose cannon

Would your quote refer to Winnie?

John

Blimey it's been so long it has taken me twenty minutes to remember how to put up pictures. Anyway I thought I might start with an old favourite of mine. If you recognise the action immortalised in this famous painting then you should be able to get this chap fairly quickly. Funnily enough I had always thought he was the chap in the centre but in fact he is towards the back on the right of the painting.

post-66715-0-10579400-1458166997_thumb.jpost-66715-0-11960200-1458167032_thumb.j

Good Evening ridgus

Major E B Hankey promoted to Brevet Lt-Colonel after the action

John

Good Evening ridgus

Major E B Hankey promoted to Brevet Lt-Colonel after the action

John

John

Quite right. The action of course being the Worcesters' counter attack at Gheluvelt on 30th October 1914. I know that modern scholarship has somewhat chipped away at its reputation as a decisive moment in the 1914 campaign, but the action retains its place in my affections.

David

So my first attempted spot is so wide of the mark that it's barely on the right continent; I recognise the WAIWA but it's already been solved; and my first picture is unmasked in the blink of an eye. Ah it's good to be back in the old routine!

David

Was with a party from Worcester at Gheluvelt ,100 years to the day of the action, quite a few had relatives involved very emotional day for them. As you can see I'm from Worcestershire now, but a Newbury man born and bred, lost a couple of family members with the Royal Berks.

John