Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Was with a party from Worcester at Gheluvelt ,100 years to the day of the action, quite a few had relatives involved very emotional day for them. As you can see I'm from Worcestershire now, but a Newbury man born and bred, lost a couple of family members with the Royal Berks.

John

John

At my school we have a war memorial which the students and I created to remember soldiers whose name they share but also to honour Royal Berks men with whom any of us can find a connection. It is our focus for Remembrance activities in November. If you would not mind I would very much like to add your relatives to our memorial. I will send you a message with more details, although of course I would fully understand if you do not want to share their names and stories

David

Just a field in Belgium. The Chateau in behind the trees to the left, the Worcesters re-established the line along the road in the trees together with the 1st South Wales Borderers who sometimes get forgotten. Photo taken where the SWB and Worcesters memorials now stand.

Pete.

post-101238-0-71362800-1458172739_thumb.

Pete

Dead right as always. Without the SWB hanging on in the Chateau's grounds I suspect the Worcester's advance would have ended very differently: and not in a good way!

David

I was at Gheluvelt a couple of years ago, and we looked at the Chateau, the battlefield and the memorials; it was all very moving.

However, our guide said that he'd been there several times, and he'd never seen anyone in or around the Chateau. He thought that it was empty, but didn't know for certain. It certainly looked well cared for, but is anyone living there - does anyone know, please?

Thanks.

Hi Scorer
When we were there, we saw several vehicles outside and we were told that the "family's doing staff" were involved in the upkeeping of the chateau and grounds. Ok you can take that with a pinch of salt, so like you it would be nice to know the reality of what is happening at the chateau.

John

Hi Scorer

When we were there, we saw several vehicles outside and we were told that the "family's do staff" were involved in the upkeeping of the chateau and grounds. Ok you can take that with a pinch of salt, so like you it would be nice to know the reality of what is happening at the chateau.

John

Okay, thanks; it would be good to know, wouldn't it?

I was at Gheluvelt a couple of years ago, and we looked at the Chateau, the battlefield and the memorials; it was all very moving.

However, our guide said that he'd been there several times, and he'd never seen anyone in or around the Chateau. He thought that it was empty, but didn't know for certain. It certainly looked well cared for, but is anyone living there - does anyone know, please?

Thanks.

When I was there last in June 2014 there was a man cutting the grass with a motor mower. I was told that the Chateau was used for training and conferences. Might be worth a separate thread as I am sure someone will know. It would be a good place for a GWF conference if true. Not that I am casting any aspersions on Birmingham in general and Tally Ho in particular, I'm looking forward to going there in a fortnight.

Pete.

Pete.

"The face is pleasant, and the frequent winning smile makes you forget at times the great soldier. It has passed into commonplace that all our great military leaders are men of unbending mien, stern in appearance, and grimly taciturn. Why this should be so is not easy to say ... [This man] is every inch a soldier, but never allows you to forget he is also a man. There is always a latent lurking twinkle behind the clear, firm eyes. He possesses a deep sense of humour - it is not every soldier who possesses it - and loves to hear and crack a joke ... "

This biographical sketch was published during the GW. Who is the author describing ? ? ?

This sounds like Herbert Plumer, who certainly had a nice sense of humour.

Ron

This sounds like Herbert Plumer, who certainly had a nice sense of humour.

Ron

No, it's not Plumer. Not Birdwood ...

Sir William Robertson Chief of the Imperial General Staff

"What seems to strike most people who come in contact with Robertson is his iron constitution and remarkably strong will. He has no nerves to speak of, and lets nothing daunt him; neither hard work nor difficulties that would have seemed insuperable to a less determined nature."

John

Sir William Robertson Chief of the Imperial General Staff

John

Yes! Who'd've thought it?

"The question is often asked as to why General Sir William Robertson is not more popular. This is not to suggest that he is unpopular, but there is this to be said about him - he has never cultivated those arts which make for popularity ... "

Quotes from 'Sir William Robertson - the life story of the Chief of the Imperial General Staff' (1917) by G A Leask:

https://archive.org/stream/sirwilliamrobert00leasuoft#page/n5/mode/2up

I`ll try my hand at a WAIWA.

The author was part of a military dynasty, but to whom was he referring???

"Field Marshal French turned to me and said "I know all about your having asked for a stokes mortar bombardment: ??? has told me."

I felt I could see ??? telling him this, and explaining that it was he who had refused it; blaming himself in fact, for the nature of the raid.

Now, that is just ??? all over, and I repeat it that you may know the man, and understand why every officer and soldier of his Brigade swears by him.

You know, if he trusts you, that he will defend you, and that no-one will be allowed to belittle you except across his mangled corpse.

And the feeling with regard to Plumer among the fighting troops is much the same."

Morning

I'll have a go, how's about Brigadier General George Edward Pereira of the 47th Brigade

John

Spot on John. From Feilding's "War letters to a wife."

Nice to see a little plug at the end for my favourite General too.

That is a self portrait of Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, who volunteered in Aug 1914 and as a driver in the reserve unit of the 75 Mansfeld Field Artillery Regiment he suffered a breakdown in 1915 and when recuperating painted the picture.He experienced several nervous breakdowns in his lifetime.

John

You are right of course. I'm glad our statistician is back with us - he can work out your hit rate (100% it would seem!)

Quite right UG. Very impressive John. I doubt this chap will detain you long either:

post-66715-0-37788900-1458338373_thumb.j

I thought I might start one of our mini threads, in this case of people in paintings. In fact talking about our themed threads reminds me I haven't posted any moustachioed Balkans for ages...and as for Robert Nivelle

David

...and as for Robert Nivelle

Don't even go there. The whole all-French-Generals-look-like-Nivelle gag sequence is so last year. I'm all for recycling but that is just wrong; why can't we have some more cute donkeys or famous pigs of WW1?

Your painting looks like a desperate defence in a wintry trench pre-Brodie helmets. Did it snow in the later stages of 1st Ypres?

Pete.

P.S. I think John's early WIT? career is very impressive too. Positively Bradmanesque.

P.S. I think John's early WIT? career is very impressive too. Positively Bradmanesque.

I suppose these days we have to say Vogesesque!

Don't even go there. The whole all-French-Generals-look-like-Nivelle gag sequence is so last year. I'm all for recycling but that is just wrong; why can't we have some more cute donkeys or famous pigs of WW1?

Your painting looks like a desperate defence in a wintry trench pre-Brodie helmets. Did it snow in the later stages of 1st Ypres?

Pete

You are in the right area and the right time

David

PS I still think naming that donkey from Gallipoli remains my finest moment on WIT.

Evening

Thank you for the comments

Sergeant with the 1st Battalion,The Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry,Thomas Rendle.On 20 November 1914 near Wulverghem in Belgium, German artillery fire had collapsed a trench and buried a number of men including 2nd Lt Colebrooke, he attended his broken leg and carried him back to safety. It was the only VC won by DCLI

John

Vogesesque indeed!

Curious story about this chap. After the war he emigrated to South Africa. However someone who shared his surname bought a VC and pretended to be him, regularly attending VC events as 'Thomas Rendle'. Eventually rumbled he was fined.

Another favourite action. Can you name the officer in the foreground (possibly the unluckiest man not to earn a VC) and for a bonus point the officer on the other side of the road

post-66715-0-06478200-1458341627_thumb.j

David

Is that a representation of the Devonshires in the Bois des Buttes in May 1918? Or not as the case may be?

Pete.