Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I'll take a wild guess. Are we looking at a young Benjamin Delahauf Foulois, and a young Norman Holbrook?

I'll take a wild guess. Are we looking at a young Benjamin Delahauf Foulois, and a young Norman Holbrook?

No. Here's a clue to their connection (which was shared by this chap):

post-108430-0-31364600-1457806296_thumb.

The British chap looks like Alan Brooke. Might the American be George C Marshall? And the chap in civilian clothes perhaps later to become General Leclerc or General Juin?

Ron

The British chap looks like Alan Brooke. Might the American be George C Marshall? And the chap in civilian clothes perhaps later to become General Leclerc or General Juin?

Ron

You are right about Brookie. But not about the other two.

I mentioned their different GW experiences: the American spent almost all of the USA's GW in staff duties, eventually reaching the front on 11 November 1918 (sic). The other chap was British - he started the war a private soldier and in 1918 was a Lieutenant Colonel DSO* MC.

Alan Brooke.

Irish stock, born in France, RGA in Great War, CIGS in second.

Hmmmm. Can't immediately see a link.

Is that US Air Force insignia?

So is the Briton also a flier?

The Briton IS also a flyer. The American was taught to fly by the Wright Brothers.

Has anyone heard from David (ridgus) recently? Absent for a good while from a thread/forum that he enjoyed.

NF told us in January that he recently tried to make contact with David, but had not at that time received a reply.

Carl Spaatz?

No but you are almost there.

The British chap had a long war. Sir John French commended him in his first despatch of September 1914.

Think you have it there, sir.

I was stumped by the reference to Arnold going to the front, thought he was Stateside for duration, you live and learn as they say. Portal was'nt to bad as I come from that part of the world so it came eventually

John

Yes! Portal and 'Hap' Arnold. They and Sir Alan Brooke were colleagues on that remarkable, unique, war-winning conceit, the Combined Chiefs of Staff.

The CCS Committee last met in May 2015.

I should have recognised Portal, as I have some photos of him at the Coronation, standing behind the Queen. Cunningham and Alanbrooke were also in the group.

Ron

I should have recognised Portal, as I have some photos of him at the Coronation, standing behind the Queen. Cunningham and Alanbrooke were also in the group.

Ron

" ... the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II at Westminster Abbey on 2 June 1953. General George C. Marshall, representing the United States, was seated in the front row of the Choir ... Two of the Great Officers of State, appointed for the day, were the Lord High Constable, Viscount Alanbrooke ... and the Lord High Steward, Viscount Cunningham of Hyndehope, who bore St Edward's crown. Near by stood Viscount Portal of Hungerford, bearing the Queen's sceptre. At the rear of the procession of eight Commonwealth premiers entering the Abbey was Sir Winston Churchill. As he drew level with the Choir, Churchill stopped, shook Marshall's hand, and resumed his stately progress."

'Masters and Commanders' (2008), by Andrew Roberts.

Two other WW2 leaders taking part in the Coronation were Earl Alexander of Tunis, who carried the Orb, and Viscount Montgomery of Alamein, who carried the Royal Standard.

They both served in the Great War, so we are still just on topic!

Ron

A world statesman and sausage mogul. Only in Germany ... But who is he ? ? ?

I know this one because I posted him a while back. Mum`s the word.

Has anyone heard from David (ridgus) recently? Absent for a good while from a thread/forum that he enjoyed.

NF told us in January that he recently tried to make contact with David, but had not at that time received a reply.

I`m afraid I`ve had no reply from David. Fingers crossed that all is well with him.

I know this one because I posted him a while back. Mum`s the word.

I`m afraid I`ve had no reply from David. Fingers crossed that all is well with him.

Thanks NF. Seems the last any of us heard from him was via the WIT spreadsheet he sent to us all. Hope all is well with him.

I was reminded of this thread and the old Witters watching the documentary about Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown who died recently. In the documentary he mentioned his meeting with Ernst Udet the German WW1 air ace. I know Udet was discussed here in WIT (I do remember some of it from here!) Documentary still here on BBC iPlayer if anyone missed it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b045pbq2

A world statesman and sausage mogul. Only in Germany ... But who is he ? ? ?

Apologies. I withdraw my claim to have already posted this chap. He has not yet appeared on WIT after all.

My memory was playing tricks on me. I started a thread about him elsewhere on the forum, and assumed it was here.

I haven't got a clue who he is but I do like UG's idea of a sausage mogul. There's something intriguing about having subcontinental themed nobility conferred on someone by bratwurst.

Pete.

Let us remember that, according to Blackadder, the German colonial empire consisted of a sausage factory in Tanganyika. Perhaps this person was the German governor of that colony? I don't think it's Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck.

Ron