The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Is that Diana Manners later Cooper?

One more lady. V.A.D.

el.jpg

Is that Diana Manners later Cooper?

Alas not, though she does resemble her I must agree.

She went missing just after it had become known that her husband was involved with another woman. This let to a massive nationwide search involving thousands of people.

Alas not, though she does resemble her I must agree.

She went missing just after it had become known that her husband was involved with another woman. This let to a massive nationwide search involving thousands of people.

Is it Agatha Christie?

Yes it is!

I was just checking Wiki to see if she had been in the VAD when Uncle George beat me to it!

Ron

Mystery solved. Well played.

You're not the first to be pipped by Uncle, Ron.

Is it Eric Blore?

Well it isn't PG Wodehouse, who as far as I am aware did nothing constructive for his country in the Great War.

And as for the Second World War....... well.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it's not Noel Coward.

I think I'll pass on this one.

Bizarre.
Last one I got a sibling whom I thought was a spitting image of the right answer.
This time I discount the correct answer on the basis that he doesn't look anything like himself!
I'm sure Coward would have something about that!

Maybe you`ll have more luck with this chap. No lookalike siblings for him.

Another writer.post-95959-0-05590300-1453467393_thumb.j

Maybe you`ll have more luck with this chap. No lookalike siblings for him.

Another writer.attachicon.gifar.jpg

I'm sure we've had this chap. I'll have a check.

EDIT: yes, RodB posted him in May. He is the war correspondent Ellis Ashmead-Bartlett.

I'm sure we've had this chap. I'll have a check.

EDIT: yes, RodB posted him in May. He is the war correspondent Ellis Ashmead-Bartlett.

Apologies. I did carry out a search on David's last list, but I'm afraid it's down to my unreliable memory since then.

I had originally planned to post Murdoch, but a quick check showed that you had beat me to it.

Is your chap Robert Wilton?

Apologies. I did carry out a search on David's last list, but I'm afraid it's down to my unreliable memory since then.

it.

David's list is rather out of date now, and the chances of an update look increasingly unlikely. I do hope all is well.

Is your chap Robert Wilton?

Not him, no. My man was imprisoned during the GW.

David's list is rather out of date now, and the chances of an update look increasingly unlikely. I do hope all is well.

Not him, no. My man was imprisoned during the GW.

I've been working hard on this one. I've found that Gibbs was arrested but I don't think it's him. Haven't found any that were jailed yet, but I shall persevere.

Regarding David: I have recently tried to make contact with no reply as yet, so like you, I can only hope that all is well.

I've been working hard on this one. I've found that Gibbs was arrested but I don't think it's him. Haven't found any that were jailed yet, but I shall persevere.

He was known for his work on the countryside and wildlife.

Flippin' 'eck, that was a bit of a trawl.

William Beach Thomas.

Flippin' 'eck, that was a bit of a trawl.

William Beach Thomas.

Yes! An interesting story:

"During the early part of the First World War Beach Thomas defied military authorities to report news stories from the Western Front for his employer, the Daily Mail. As a result, he was briefly imprisoned before being granted official accreditation as a war correspondent. His reportage for the remainder of the war received national recognition, despite being criticised by some and parodied by soldiers ... "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Beach_Thomas#

They were certainly sticking their necks out if they had any intention of reporting the truth.

Interesting little journey. Picked up one or two along the way as it were, but they may have to wait till I come off shift again.