Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Yes it is: a fresh-faced BL. For an extra point - here's an anecdote about him from Ll.G's 'Memoirs'. What was his reply?

'I remember before the War, while we were both saying at Cannes, driving with him on a sunny day along the road to the golf course at Cagnes. The sky was cloudless and the sea was blue as only the Mediterranean can be, while on the left was the white-topped amphitheatre of the Maritime Alps. I turned to Bonar and asked him if he did not think it beautiful. "I don"t care much for scenery," he replied in his rather toneless voice.

'The night before I had been to a performance of one of Mozart's operas - I think it was "Il Seraglio." It was the first time I had heard it and I was struck with its exquisite beauty. I mentioned the fact to Bonar Law, but his reaction to my enthusiasm was only to say, "I don't care much for music."

'As we approached the golf course we saw some extremely pretty women, also on the way to play golf. I called Bonar Law's attention to them. "Women don't attract me," was his laconic answer.

' "Will you tell me," I said, exasperated at all this disdain for all the attractions of life, "what it is you do care for? Scenery - music - women - none of them has any meaning for you. What is it you do like?" '

"Bridge."

(Courtesy of The Extensive Library)

Ron

"Bridge."

(Courtesy of The Extensive Library)

Ron

Yes - bridge! You will have read Ll.G's analysis of this "most perfect partnership in political history":

"For nearly five years Mr. Bonar Law's friendship for me and mine for him not only survived but grew from year to year ... There never were two men who constituted such a complete contrast in temperamental and mental equipment ... "

https://archive.org/stream/warmemoirsvolume035284mbp#page/n643/mode/2up

L-G, modest as always.

That reminds me of joke by Dave Allen many years ago, where at a gentleman's club, one man asked another (a frightful bore) if he would like a drink, or watch TV, or listen to some music.

The bore's answer was always "No thank you, I tried it once, and I didn't like it!"

In the end, the bore announces that it's time for him to go home, as his son is coming to collect him.

To which the first man asks... "Is he your only son?."

I thought perhaps that Bonar Law might have been the origin of the story.

It is from Carry on Camping, though it refers to a daughter.

Ron

Here's an interesting man. An excerpt from his diary:

"I am feeling absolutely rotten and utterly soured of everything even religion if an essential is loving one's neighbour and feeling kindly to them - for I hate and loathe them. It seems to me that anyone who has decency, unselfishness, kindliness, public spirit and such like is a fool."

Who is he ? ? ?

post-108430-0-22740800-1453907909_thumb.

Is it Edward "Monty" Guilford?

Is it Edward "Monty" Guilford?

No. (I'd not heard of Guilford. A very good guess.) My man was a public figure, who, it was said, thought that only the fourth person in the Holy Trinity would be good enough to marry his daughter.

Is it "The fighting padre", Pat Leonard?

Is it "The fighting padre", Pat Leonard?

No not him. The picture I posted in #3761 shows some facial scarring. Indeed, he was shot in the face by a sniper in 1915.

Is it John (later Lord) Reith of the BBC?

It is. He served initially with the 5th Scottish Rifles, then with the Highland Field Company Royal Engineers, and with the Royal Marine Engineers.

http://spartacus-educational.com/Jreith.htm

His account of his service is titled 'Wearing Spurs'. It is discussed briefly on the Forum here (from post #5):

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=220370#entry2235680

An account of the man is here (be afraid):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2689509/Dark-man-built-Beeb-Hes-venerated-titan-BBCs-high-minded-values-But-new-book-reveals-Lord-Reith-egocentric-monster-came-loathe-TV-deeply-troubling-infatuation-children.html

I hadn't previously seen a picture of the young Reith, but recall black & white film interviews with him. He is quite recognisable in this early image. The scar on his cheek was still noticable in those later interviews.

post-33278-0-72442500-1454345526_thumb.j

Time for another one from me, I think (not the picture of him that is seen most often).

And not a medic!

Edit: but does have connections with a couple of my earlier posts.

It's the landlord of the South Pole Inn; Thomas Crean.

Superman, eat your heart out. I think I'd choose Crean over you to be on my dream team.

Yes!

Yes!

After going on a hunch that he may be connected to polar expeditions, he didn`t take a lot of finding. He does rather stand out amongst them as a most extraordinary person. I was very impressed.

Not so impressed with this fellow`s c.v. though.post-95959-0-09047600-1454499137_thumb.j

If you don`t immediately recognise him, I will reveal more about his chilling reputation.

• Admin

John Christie?

John Christie?

No, but if the claims that are being made in a new book about him are true, then he was a murderer, as well as a cannibal.

There is a strong link to polar exploration, which include his sexual predation for one of his comrade`s widows.

• Admin

Sir Douglas Mawson it is then

Sir Douglas Mawson it is then

Correct, Michelle.

Who knows how true it all is, but here is my source http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2487023/Hero-Antarctic-explorer-Douglas-Mawson-starved-friend-death-new-book-claims.html

Another possible conspiracy theory may be generated from this section from his Wiki page:

It was unknown at the time that Husky liver contains extremely high levels of vitamin A. It was also not known that such levels of vitamin A could cause liver damage to humans.[9] With six dogs between them (with a liver on average weighing 1 kg), it is thought that the pair ingested enough liver to bring on a condition known as Hypervitaminosis A. However, Mertz may have suffered more because he found the tough muscle tissue difficult to eat and therefore ate more of the liver than Mawson.[10] It is of interest to note that in Inuit tradition the dog's liver is never eaten. While both men suffered, Mertz suffered chronically.