Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I haven't got a clue who he is but I do like UG's idea of a sausage mogul. There's something intriguing about having subcontinental themed nobility conferred on someone by bratwurst.

Pete.

The magnate of the wiener. The tycoon of the frank. This chap (in addition to being a statesman of global significance) was more of a sausage inventor, to be strictly accurate. A Thomas Edison of the Hot Dog world. Or, of the Linda McCartneysphere.

Let us remember that, according to Blackadder, the German colonial empire consisted of a sausage factory in Tanganyika. Perhaps this person was the German governor of that colony? I don't think it's Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck.

Ron

No, he was not a colonial governor. More a peer of WSC/De Gaulle. And an entrepreneur in the world of sausages.

Konrad Adenauer, the inventor of the vegetarian sausage? I can't believe I've just typed that sentence.

Pete.

Konrad Adenauer, the inventor of the vegetarian sausage? I can't believe I've just typed that sentence.

Pete.

Yes indeed. Chancellor of West Germany from 1949 to 1963, finally stepping down at the age of 87. During the GW he was Mayor of Cologne, "and as the British blockade of Germany began to bite, starvation set in badly in the city. Adenauer had an ingenious mind - an inventive mind - and researched ways of substituting available materials for scarce items, such as meat ... he turned to the search for a new sausage and came up with soy as the meatless ingredient. It was dubbed the Friedenswurst or 'peace sausage' ... "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26935867

A veggie burgher?

Good one.

I liked the metaphors, or are they similies? Or what???

Who remembers this one?

"The Yehudi Menuhin of the Nib".

(Eric, about Ernie).

Who is the man with the jazzy tie?

post-101238-0-47860200-1457985709_thumb.

John, I suddenly thought that as a long term inmates of WIT? I should welcome you to the asylum. Sorry to see you get your coat and leave........

Pete.

Pete,is it Alcide Nunez by any chance?

Pete,is it Alcide Nunez by any chance?

Nope, one of the rather dismissive slang phrases for jazz later used in his country was schräge musik. Which is also a roundabout link to his line of work.

Pete.

Nope, one of the rather dismissive slang phrases for jazz later used in his country was schräge musik. Which is also a roundabout link to his line of work.

Pete.

Okay. Complete turnaround, or a different "slant", if you like.

Is it General Josef Kammhuber?

Okay. Complete turnaround, or a different "slant", if you like.

Is it General Josef Kammhuber?

I see what you did there, nice one. Not Kammhuber, my man was a civilian in the Great War, who started off as a welder, and in a very roundabout way he was linked to the Armistice in November 1918.

Pete.

I see what you did there, nice one. Not Kammhuber, my man was a civilian in the Great War, who started off as a welder, and in a very roundabout way he was linked to the Armistice in November 1918.

Pete.

He is Reinhold Platz, Fokker's chief welder/head designer, magician, puppeteer and friend of Sooty. An inspirational figure, at the start of every working day at the Fokker factory in Schwerin he would galvanize colleagues with his always-popular call, "Izzy wizzy, let's get busy!" When he died his son, Matthew Platz, took up his work: but it was never quite the same.

But I don't see the Armistice connection.

Wasn't a clause of the Armistice to surrender all Fokker DVII's with immediate effect?

John

UG is spot on with the id, and gets bonus points for Sooty and Sweep references. John gets a mention in dispatches for the Armistice connection. The DVII was the only weapon named specifically in the agreement I believe.

Pete.

Does anyone recognise this musician???post-95959-0-84996700-1458067312_thumb.j

Appeared in a film about his brother, and was himself the subject of a book, and a song.

I know this one.

Very talented, especially considering his war history, and medical history.

Quite.

Had his arm blown off, but didn`t let that stop him pursuing his dream to be a musician.

Don`t be coy Dai. Let`s file him away and move on to one of yours.

PW?

John

Paul Wittgenstein it is. Concert pianist before losing his arm, and concert pianist after losing his arm.

Tenacious fellow. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Wittgenstein