Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Crimson Field - BBC drama series

NigelS

Ahhhh, just as I thought that Matron has 'exotic tastes'.

She looks like a girl who'd be up for a kebab at the end of a good night out. Go Sister-friend!

Or am I missing something?

Maxi

Please forgive this rant but I have never seen such an appalling display of marching in drama ever.... Utter shambles, the director, that is the person directing this scene, is useless and should be ashamed of his efforts. Why cannot they get such a simple job of just getting the actors to walk in step never mind march ? Dreadful, just dreadful......

Please forgive this rant but I have never seen such an appalling display of marching in drama ever.... Utter shambles, the director, that is the person directing this scene, is useless and should be ashamed of his efforts. Why cannot they get such a simple job of just getting the actors to walk in step never mind march ? Dreadful, just dreadful......

I think she would have had about a 50 yr wait for a kebab,

I was discussing this yesterday with my sister who is a retired nurse who has no interest in The Great War. She said she watches it because there is nothing much else to watch and that she found some of the plot line to be unbelievable.

I seem to recall there was a series on a few years ago set in a late Victorian hospital (I seen to recall Cherie Lunghi was in it playing a sister/matron)

I had no great interest in it one way or another and because I have no interest in late Victorian hospital I couldn't attest to its accuracy or not. If we simply accept that the crimson field isn't a docu drama or even a historical drama and rather a drama set in the past it may be more palatable for most. I shan't be returning to the series.

Casualty 1910 as I recall. One hundred years before 2010 and the programme showed that some stories (immigration, racism) are old.

Well, admittedly I only watched the first episode, but it seemed to me they were trying to depict how awful the situation in these places was, for both nurses and patients. I thought the exaggeration was quite funny. e.g. the toes! Inaccuracies of uniforms etc. would not be noticed by the average viewer. It didn't seem much worse to me than "Downton Abbey", which a lot of people seem to think is great.

Hazel

Last night's episode: more unconvincing sub-plots. And that annoying feature of TV dramas and films of this period: pristine vehicles driving along modern roads. Last night the doctor and nurse were motoring along in an immaculate civilian vehicle on a perfectly tarred road (surely a rarity nowadays, given the excessive number of potholes in today's highways) through beautiful, unspoilt countryside (North Wiltshire-South Gloucestershire, judging from the stone walls) with no sign of war or military traffic.

I can understand the difficulties of replicating war-torn France, but portraying the journey was quite unnecessary. All that was needed was to show the car leaving the hospital, then arriving at the hotel, where the doctor could have tried his chat-up technique and the nurse could have stomped off into the building.

Moonraker

Last night's episode: more unconvincing sub-plots. And that annoying feature of TV dramas and films of this period: pristine vehicles driving along modern roads. Last night the doctor and nurse were motoring along in an immaculate civilian vehicle on a perfectly tarred road (surely a rarity nowadays, given the excessive number of potholes in today's highways) through beautiful, unspoilt countryside (North Wiltshire-South Gloucestershire, judging from the stone walls) with no sign of war or military traffic.

I can understand the difficulties of replicating war-torn France, but portraying the journey was quite unnecessary. All that was needed was to show the car leaving the hospital, then arriving at the hotel, where the doctor could have tried his chat-up technique and the nurse could have stomped off into the building.

Moonraker

Have you passed your concerns on to the BBC?

I see that there is a new series of Points of Views, maybe some of the critics should air their views towards that programme. I like the programme, and as a current nurse like the emotional aspects.

Many of us will have seen original Great War footage of a burial service , showing several stretchers being conveyed to a communal grave, and the bodies deposited while the Chaplain conducts the service in front of the soldiers gathered round.

This was surely the inspiration behind the opening scene of last night's episode.

I got the impression that a serious effort had been made to replicate this episode ; despite the dismal verdict delivered by the Pals, I feel it's worth rather better reviews.

Phil (PJA)

SPOILER ALERT!!

DO TRY TO KEEP UP

The plot so far. Plucky gels have joined a troupe of comedians (a Concert Party?) behind the Lines.

ALL of them have secrets to hide and are far more interested in making sure that their hair has not been disarranged than in saving mortally wounded soldiers with surprisingly invisible wounds.

Only two episodes left to resolve all the outstanding issues and tie up loose ends!

Sister Joan Livesey (Suranne Jones - 35) will defect to the other side to find and marry her lover. Running across No Mans Land, she will pursued by Rosalie Berwick (Marianne Oldham - coy about her age) on Livesey's motorcycle, which will easily negotiate the non-existent shell damage and craters of the war zone.

Meanwhile, stern but lovely Matron Grace Carter (Hermione Norris - 47) will be miraculously cured of any Sapphic tendencies hinted at by her enemey, Sister Margaret Quayle (Kerry Fox - 47) who turns out in Episode 6 to be a cross-dressing Major who has homosexual feelings towards the tough but kind Lt. Colonel Roland Brett (Kevin Doyle)

The charming Rosa Marshall (Lady Alice St. Clair-Erskine - 26) will meantime pursue her dream and follow the love of her (short) life in the person of Private Charley Dawlish and his twelve lucky companions whose luck runs out when they are all tragically wiped out by a runaway tram on their way up the Line. Rosa (26) will be left inconsolable but still plucky and demonstrating the British Stiff Upper Lip in all its glory.

The "enigmatic" Kitty Trevelyan (Oona Chaplin - 27) will just stand about looking decorative and wondering who she can murder next with her trusty cakeknife.

All the other male characters are largely superfluous and die together when the mine that the awful Huns have laid beneath the hospital is detonated.

THE END.

(But we are told that there may well be another series to justify the astronomical sums spent on building the set. Lucky us!)

P.S. My apologies to all whose Sunday evenings for the next to weeks I have just ruined.

Would they pay any more heed, than they did to the experts?

Mike

Wo knows? But complaining on here ain't going to get us anywhere.

• Admin

The letter that dastardly ex husband made mysterious VAD sign was word processed.

Many of us will have seen original Great War footage of a burial service , showing several stretchers being conveyed to a communal grave, and the bodies deposited while the Chaplain conducts the service in front of the soldiers gathered round.

I would be interested in watching this original footage. Do you have a link to it?

Thanks,

~Ginger

It's in the Battle of the Somme film. You should find extracts from it on YouTube if not the whole film.

Cheers Martin B

This was surely the inspiration behind the opening scene of last night's episode.

I got the impression that a serious effort had been made to replicate this episode ; despite the dismal verdict delivered by the Pals, I feel it's worth rather better reviews.

Phil (PJA)

Not sure what year this was..

post-100478-0-17777500-1398690750_thumb.

The footage is shown a lot : it is pretty grim ; nothing upbeat and exhilarating in regard to noble sacrifice. The stretchers appear stained, and if I'm not mistaken, one of the bodies ( they're all tightly wrapped in canvas) looks distinctly truncated, as if both legs are missing.

To my shame, I've yet to learn how to post a link.

It hits me quite hard, because my grandfather was an Army Chaplain in France, and he would have been doing that kind of thing a lot.

He certainly worked in the hospitals. I've even been struck by the thought that the Chaplain in the footage looks very much like he might have done in1916, judging by his wedding photograph from 1921 !

Phil (PJA)

I'm expecting the German boyfriend to turn up as a casualty. The "coincidences" seemed to pile up one on top of the other yesterday, the silliest being the lad who just happened to be a waiter at the very restaurant that Sister Livesey frequented! I fully expect a second series based on so many "skeletons in closets" scenarios.

Yes 'Testament of Youth- the Movie' has been in the offing for a couple of years but can't find anything recent on the WWW. Assume that it's still going ahead.

details here

Moonraker

I'm expecting the German boyfriend to turn up as a casualty. The "coincidences" seemed to pile up one on top of the other yesterday, the silliest being the lad who just happened to be a waiter at the very restaurant that Sister Livesey frequented! I fully expect a second series based on so many "skeletons in closets" scenarios.

I believe there were genuine instances of that happening. There were many Germans in Britain before the war, working as waiters or barbers, along with German bands. When the war began they all went home.

Cheers Martin B

That's great Moonraker - much appreciated. It seems to have been planned for ages but good to know that due for 2015 release. Thanks and regards, Michael Bully

details here

Moonraker