Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Crimson Field - BBC drama series

NigelS

Did they just confuse the courtesy title of Honourable with the honorific for an MP (Right Honourable)?

Did they just confuse the courtesy title of Honourable with the honorific for an MP (Right Honourable)?

They did indeed.

Enough of that tripe. Snooker!

Simple, but naive question. How the hell did the German boyfriend get so far behind the British lines without once being stopped & questioned as to 'who, what, why?'

Some good depictions of the grub.

Last week, the tommies were tucking in to robust portions of bacon and egg. Tonight, the Indian Army officer ( not so stereotyped, I thought) was enjoying a healthy meat and two veg platter.

This is a refreshing change from the downtrodden image of the soldiers that we've seen in previous dramas....alright, this is a hospital, so there is going to be some pampering, but I was impressed.

Phil (PJA)

Tonight, the Indian Army officer ( not so stereotyped, I thought) was enjoying a healthy meat and two veg platter.

I thought it went on the floor when he tipped the table over.

German bloke jumped out of train and escaped. How did he know which village to make for before the letter was delivered? Also is it good practice for Matron to walk into a wood where there is live firing without shouting out? Maybe those bullets swerve at the sight of her uniform? Last week she was Sapphic now had an Indian Sergeant as lover. Confused?

Will the German POW escape a la Steve McQueen?

Right Honourable is a title for those appointed to the Privy Council. Though all MPs are referred to as the honourable member in the house.

Last week she was Sapphic now had an Indian Sergeant as lover.

Confused?

No, not confused at all.

This is the BBC demonstrating its determination to be inclusive. Blond british women of high intellect and devotion to duty must display appropriate enlightenment when it comes to selection of sexual partners.

Phil (PJA)

Ronnie O'Sullivan probably has about as authentic a Great War haircut as some of the 'Crimson Field' cast.

I understand that the BBC can produce good drama.

Having seen the episode last night, clearly this programme fails in so many ways......

Wait til next week when Captain Blackadder arrives to save the day.

Having seen the episode last night, clearly this programme fails in so many ways......

The understatement of the Centenary.

Having kept quiet for so long, as I was enjoying the series as a bit of light entertainment and was able to suspend belief for the duration, even I was slamming it last night. The German soldier appearing in the cottage was just one step too far : D.

Although, having said that, I do still like it and will watch it to the bitter end.

I humbly submit that the fanciful plot I outlined a few days ago (Spitfire to Patagonia etc) is several orders of magnitude more credible than the utter tosh that was actually served up last night ...

I am now confidently expecting that next week's final episode will conclude with the Sister and her German soldier fiancé being shot by a firing squad of nurses, commanded by the quartermaster-sergeant.

I wasn't too far out with the appearance of the German boyfriend, although the manner of his arrival was more unbelievable than I was thinking!! There was a near Kenneth Williams moment when the Indian officer said, " aah Matron" And not wishing to stereotype but asking about a Singh in the Indian army must be like looking for a needle in a haystack, yet he knew him without any hesitation.

I am now confidently expecting that next week's final episode will conclude with the Sister and her German soldier fiancé being shot by a firing squad of nurses, commanded by the quartermaster-sergeant.

Despite my pacifist leanings, I will be there, gun in hand - or is it more likely to be death by blunt force trauma ... urinal, bedpan, plate of brussels sprouts ... ?

Sue

The plot and the characters and stories become more and more unbelievable with each episode.....I am now watching only to see how surreal it can get.

Most of the points in last night's episode that raised my eyebrows have already been mentioned - "Right Honourable", the mouth-watering meal, the German arriving ... I did think about trying to rationalise the nurse/refugee/German husband sub-plot, but it seems that would have been a wasted effort.

Regarding Matron's sexual leanings, wasn't it suggested in the episode before by the passed-over-for-promotion nurse that Matron did Have a Past (nudge-nudge) and that some people assumed it was Sapphic?

It's a bit unfair to freeze the recording, but the high-value postage stamps on the Right Honourable's box of bulbs were imperforate (presumably photocopies or scans cut to size) and today would be worth a great deal of money.

At least the hospital site has become muddy, which makes it look more realistic (but there I go being influenced by popular perceptions that France was always muddy during the Great War - it must have dried out a bit in the summer, which is when the series started).

Moonraker