Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Crimson Field - BBC drama series

NigelS

In what way is it so far from unrealistic? It is making an attempt to portray an aspect of the Great War that is quite frankly neglected in the popular remembrance. How many members of this forum have actually ever been in a (1) Military hospital / CCS , either recently or in the past? (2) Had direct hands on experience of nursing as a profession, and I don't mean as a patient (3) Actually encountered the emotions portrayed? Does it really matter if the uniforms are not that exact, after all it is not a show parade in front of a guardroom, it is a TV programme. I feel in one way, that because the programme does not represent heroics, trenches, references to unit, that many do not think that it matters. Maybe we should all do a bit of retrospective thinking on the subject of the programme, what do we actually think that it would be like? Many of the armchair military historians may think that they have an understanding of military life, either now or in the past, but who is to say that this perspective is actually right. If those who slate the programme have actually done service in a hospital at the hard end, or worked in a army medical unit, I would respect what they have said, but actually how many?

Gorilla

Most of the TV audience will have no idea how realistic (or unrealistic) this TV drama is simply because they are not well informed. Thankfully there are lots of people on this forum who are informed because that have dedicated years of their professional time and personal time into researching the past. They may be 'armchair military historians' as you so graciously put it, but some of the 'armchair military historians' on this forum have a staggering level of knowledge. A cursory glance at Sue Light's website might give you a feel for how deep and rich her particular 'armchair' is. That aside, one does not have to have had direct experience to have an informed view. Most respected authors of the Great War clearly did not fight there. Your arguments taken to the extreme would suggest anything written on the Great War would only have credibility if the person had fought in the trenches.

I have read this thread with a mixture of amusement and bemusement. It seems fairly clear to me at least that this is a fiction pretending to be fact - 'faction' if you prefer. The BBC could have made this drama and set it in any other conflict, but it chose to set it in the Great War for a reason - the upcoming rolling 100th anniversaries. The fact that it is part of the BBC's commemorative set of programmes on the Great War has understandably raised some expectations; that it might attempt to be realistic and the historical contextural framework that the drama is woven into might be reasonably accurate. Clearly as has been pointed out by 'armchair military historians' the drama has fallen quite short of what of was achievable.

The BBC actively solicited expert advice - perhaps another indication that it thought historical accuracy had some merit. It chose to ignore some of the expert advice. Historical accuracy was in some cases subordinated to artistic and creative priorities. Sadly in the case of this drama historical accuracy and artistic merit did not necessarily have to be mutually exclusive. I suspect the informed 'armchair military historians' are quite rightly wondering why there are so many glaring historical errors that do not appear to be justified by any higher artistic objective.

I have not watched the programme, but from the few trailers I have seen and from the comments on this thread, I think it has been the right choice. If the errors are as glaring as the posters in this thread tell us, I wonder why it is set in the Great War at all and why the BBC solicited expert advice. They may as well have set it in an imaginary future world.

Lastly, I think the frustrations of 'armchair military historians' (and historians with out armchairs for that matter) is that the Great War is an important part of our national history and is a rich source of mis-information. In the media age much of our (mis)information comes from the TV. One might reasonably expect that a national TV company funded (by law) by the population has a slightly higher level of responsibility. I think it perfectly understandable that there are frustrations among the better informed. To take expert advice and then ignore it seems (to me at least) to be quite irresponsible

For those who say "It's only a drama" I would politely disagree. It is a drama deliberately positioned as "representing one of the untold stories of World War 1" , a representation of factual events in the past deliberately made for the commemorative year of the Great War. I recently watched the remake of a film. During the intro it said "This is a True Story. Some characters and events have been changed" (or something to that effect) and I recall thinking how those two statements did not make sense when combined.

I note the viewing figures are steadily falling if the BARB figures are anything to go by.

I see the iPlayer button states "Contains some upsetting scenes". QED.

MG

MG said: I see the iPlayer button states "Contains some upsetting scenes"

Mostly upsetting because they are historically inaccurate, the characters stereotyped, the plots shallow and hackneyed, the script cliched and the costumes wrong.

Is that what the BBC would like us to do, and is it only a coincidence that it is being aired one hundred years after the start of the Great War? It's the BBC who should abandon all pretence and market the programme for what it is : a soap opera?

Mike

Yes, you've got me there, Mike !

I've really enjoyed the series. I did note the allusion to the Pals as being something of an anachronism ; even if we allow for Loos, the foliage in the background does not indicate late autumn.....so I'll admit that that annoyed me. Big mistake there. And some others too.

This is a blend of Call the Midwife and Oh, What a Lovely War ! with a dash of East Enders added in.

But I'm looking forward to seeing it on Sunday. It works for me....but I'm sad.

Phil (PJA)

I am most annoyed by the fact that the BBC has positioned/presented this trash as a major part of its Centenary output.

From the Director of the last two programmes in the series:

<< In the following week, one of the nurses, who is having a relationship with a German soldier, is discovered. She is court-marshalled [sic] and threatened with being shot. That’s the very last episode in the series >>

They surpass themselves - can't wait.

Sue

I think it should read 'this series' as no decision has yet be made on further series, which I'm sure will inevitably appear, otherwise there will be a riot within the Richard Rankin fan club.

Sue

The series gets more like Blackadder as it progresses - didn't he get a nurse shot in error after trifling with her morals? So not even original story lines - how lazy.

Keith

One of the meeja companies states that 44% of the audience for The Cringing Field is aged 65+. How does that compare the demographics of the GWF?

How does that compare the demographics of the GWF?

Positively adolescent I would think - given the levels of grumpiness on display on this Forum!

<< In the following week, one of the nurses, who is having a relationship with a German soldier, is discovered. She is court-marshalled [sic] and threatened with being shot. That’s the very last episode in the series >>

Sue

Mrs Ghazala was most upset when I informed her of above. She hates to be told the plot before she has watched it. Hey ho, spare bedroom for me tonight!

Sue

The writer and producer should be offered the blindfold and last cigarette.

Your first question was 'in what way is it so far from unrealistic?' I think you're the one who's short on knowledge.

I respect your input with regards to nurses of the Great War, as looking at your site you have done a lot of work, but I dispute your statement that I am short of knowledge. You don' t know me, and I have more than a little bit of knowledge and experience about the profession, indeed I actually do it.

One of the meeja companies states that 44% of the audience for The Cringing Field is aged 65+. How does that compare the demographics of the GWF?

I would hazard a guess that it is probably quite close.

For a much maligned programme I note that we have now reached 24 pages of comment. I seem to remember that my history professor the late Arthur Marwick would refer to this "unwitting testimony" suggesting that the producers had successfully created a TV series that people avidly followed!

Len

Positively adolescent I would think - given the levels of grumpiness on display on this Forum!

The grump factor is in fact very low, about 4, in that my contributions have been few and comparatively low-key.

Grump factor is on a scale 0 to 9, where 0 is all sweetness and light, and 7 is the highest that ordinary mortals can achieve on a bad day, 8 is yours truly at full throttle, and 9 is reserved for the patron Saint of ALL GRUMPINESS, Victor Meldrew.

"There is a war going on somewhere in the background," advises the Sunday Times "Culture" supplement about tonight's episode, "but even without graphic military action, the series quietly analyses the potential effects on morals, manners and social conventions of an extreme situation."

Moonraker

She is court-marshalled [sic] and threatened with being shot. That’s the very last episode in the series >>

Sue

Look forward to the, suitably, 'marshall' music :rolleyes:

Mike

Can't wait!!

Well, actually I can now the plot has been given away.

• Admin

I think those of you who are watching are missing the point, as OOna Chaplin says,

"It's one of the most important TV series I've worked on. Shows like this make you feel you can change the world. Hopefully people will be so horrified by what they see they won't engage in war anymore."

I hope you will show a bit more respect in future, now back to Vera!

Ken

Nothing else on at moment so I'll watch episode 5 and be suitably horrified!! By the script!!!

My money's on the German boyfriend turning up as a casualty, the silly nurse's equally silly soldier boyfriend comes back to sweep her off her feet, and the Captain admits his feelings for that sister, matron/whatever. Oh and TE Lawrence comes back for his motorbike.

... as Oona Chaplin says, "It's one of the most important TV series I've worked on. Shows like this make you feel you can change the world. Hopefully people will be so horrified by what they see they won't engage in war anymore." ...

Ken

I'm sure that all of us can name many, many films and TV dramas that do this rather more effectively than TCF.

Moonraker