Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Crimson Field - BBC drama series

NigelS

What did the Indian Army officer and the matron say to each other in Punjabi?

Moonraker

What did the Indian Army officer and the matron say to each other in Punjabi?

According to elsewhere on the web, it wasn't actually Punjabi but Urdu, delivered in a very bad accent.

It was definitely advertised as being Punjabi - if it was, then it was apparently such a poor effort that it appeared to be Urdu :)

Sue

Interesting review in the

Independent

which perhaps is worth mentioning here as it confirms some of the reservations expressed in this thread.

Moonraker

There were over 27,000 Germans living in London at the time of the 1911 census and so a nurse with a German boyfriend is not an unreasonable story line and if handled well could have been quite good but....... oh dear.

Neil

I think we can be forgiven - I suspect that the only reason Sedgemoor District Council’s Tim Mander noticed and identified the reactors was because he knew where the scene was filmed so was watching closely; shrouded in mist and at some distance away, to the casual observer these would have just been seen as large buildings not nuclear reactors. The comment "hang on, that looks familiar - that wasn’t there in 1915!" is a bit daft: the Western Front wasn't there in 1915 either!

NigelS

Very little of this thread has anything to do with the Great War.

Essentially critics (including me by the way) are railing at something that has little to do with the Great War (unless I am misinformed) and railing against the systemic bollox and (in)accuracy of the BBC period dwamas. One might as well be railing against Dr Who. Despite the huge entertainment value of this thread surely this should reside in the penumbra of Skandles (sic) rather than the mainstream Great Bore Forum lest the GWF becomes branded as the tabloid red-top of Great War discussion.

With some MOD editing there would be value. Without it I think it is inevitable that the thread degenerates into something that does not show the GWF in its best light.

MG

Very little of this thread has anything to do with the Great War.

Essentially critics (including me by the way) are railing at something that has little to do with the Great War (unless I am misinformed) and railing against the systemic bollox and (in)accuracy of the BBC period dwamas. One might as well be railing against Dr Who. Despite the huge entertainment value of this thread surely this should reside in the penumbra of Skandles (sic) rather than the mainstream Great Bore Forum lest the GWF becomes branded as the tabloid red-top of Great War discussion.

With some MOD editing there would be value. Without it I think it is inevitable that the thread degenerates into something that does not show the GWF in its best light.

MG

This man is talking sense!

Anne

Serious question about series 2. If the production company and the BBC said they'd listened to the feedback and wanted to try a second series but will pay more attention to the detail and have more believable plot lines - would we think they should be given another go? Sometimes series should be allowed to fail so producers can improve the next.

Long winded and expensive way of doing the research properly GB.

This thread has every right to be in the main forum and not Skindles - and as this is the case, anything off-topic will be removed - as has happened on quite a few occaisons already.

There is only one more episode now so once vitriol has been pored on that, I'm sure this thread will start to taper off

I don't think we need to worry about the integrity of the GWF one bit. Anyone tuning in to view the forum in general will be struck by the excellent service it provides, and the professional and dignified way that it presents itself. This folly of a thread will also be taken for what it is: A comprehensive slatingand rejection for an abysmal offering by the BBC

The first series is supposed to be set in 1915. All the soldiers are wearing soft caps with no helmets in sight.

So why is one of the main themes of Episode 4 some lads from a Pals Battalion who think that if they stick together they will be OK, many of their comrades having been killed? Most of the Pals battalions spent 1915 training in Britain. The Pals were slaughtered on the Somme in 1916, not in 1915.

I am surprised that such a historical inaccuracy was permitted.

Calm down please everyone it is just a drama.... turn it off read a book,

It is a drama, Eastenders is a drama, does that show portray accurately the make up of the East End? No! turn it off

Edited by RupertDubrecht

if you think this thread is bad you should have been here for the famous, infamous, Haig and Shot at Dawn threads. There were death threats and pals banned on those. Some even deserted to the 'other side' and only come back under assumed names.

Calm down dear, calm down.

I have one post on this thread (one or two others seem to have been 'disappeared') and have never watched a minute of this contentious series so I am not going to drone on about it but I'm mildly concerned about the suggestion that humour is restricted to Skindles and all other threads shall be solemn and reverential. Even one about an inconsequential TV series.

Nothing at all wrong with humour - but on-topic humour please....

Ian, those who post but haven't seen the program could argue that no one on this forum served or even lived through WW1 but still comment on every aspect of it.

Serious question about series 2. If the production company and the BBC said they'd listened to the feedback and wanted to try a second series but will pay more attention to the detail and have more believable plot lines - would we think they should be given another go? Sometimes series should be allowed to fail so producers can improve the next.

But why would they? The programme is watched, and presumably enjoyed by millions. It is not failing at all against the targets set by its producers. I am sure those same producers will not alter a thing in series two and that it will continue to be great success.

David

PS Coronation Street is set in an area of Manchester that was once described to me by a friend who came from there as 'Beirut but with more guns'. Verisimilitude and TV drama have never been bedfellows

Ian, those who post but haven't seen the program could argue that no one on this forum served or even lived through WW1 but still comment on every aspect of it.

Well, you might say that but I couldn't possibly comment. I'm a good boy, I am. :rolleyes:

I have been watching it. Not with a critical eye but to pass an hour. If it has stimulated others interest in WW1 and the way the wounded were dealt with it has done its job.

I have been watching it. Not with a critical eye but to pass an hour. If it has stimulated others interest in WW1 and the way the wounded were dealt with it has done its job.

You are suggesting it had a 'job'? I thought it was 'Eastenders visits the Sommendaele'. I'd no idea there was a serious subtext.