Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Crimson Field - BBC drama series

NigelS

Steven, Having seen episode 3, I withdraw my implied criticism of your comments. I only watched 1 episode of Downton Abbey. They could have been made by the same people. Not for anyone with an attention span of more than a few seconds. I hope Jamaica Inn is better. The only saving grace is that I don't have to buy a TV licience.

Old Tom

I'm also pretty disgusted with the BBC World War One Twitter page. They have a picture map of the chain of evacuation which totally excludes the field ambulance units.

Most of my heroes served and died with a field ambulance unit - gutted!

The Soap Field, as its no better than a soap opera. UGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Steven, Having seen episode 3, I withdraw my implied criticism of your comments. I only watched 1 episode of Downton Abbey. They could have been made by the same people. Not for anyone with an attention span of more than a few seconds. I hope Jamaica Inn is better. The only saving grace is that I don't have to buy a TV licience.

Old Tom

Thank you, sir. I, too, watched only one episode of Downton (one too many).

I managed to avoid the vast majority of last night's installment, except for the Irish soldier standing in the nip. Source, anyone? (or should that be, "Sauce, anyone"?).

The Soap Field, as its no better than a soap opera. UGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Right from day one, I had this down as a soap. Not one that washes with us though eh!

Can`t believe that this is the sixteenth page of discussion on this trash, but then on the other hand, it is pretty much sixteen pages of criticism, so I suppose it`s arguably worth that.

Must be the most comprehensive slating that anything has received since I`ve been on here.

Congratulations Crimson Fieldenders Street. :thumbsup:

I agree with everything you have said Mark. I really do believe that if you are making a programme about events that have taken place they should be accurate. But i believe that when it comes to drama, programme makers aren't that bothered. They are just out for the wider audience. For what will appeal to more people. If that means ignoring facts to do it they will. Especially if it fits in with their storyline and keeps them within budget.

• Admin

I think it is the language that bothers me most, using modern expressions in a so called period drama.

Michelle

...What concerns me is when the makers of a programme have made no real attempt to capture the spirit of the period or represent important aspects of the era in an authentic way. What annoyed me about Downton Abbey was that they didn't even bother to get the basic chronology of the war correct-we had the Battle of the Somme happening before conscription was introduced and the chauffeur being worried about being sent off to the Dardanelles in 1917. With 'Crimson Field', the whole thing is just so obviously bogus that I can't suspend disbelief. It's just a load of people in fancy dress playing at soldiers and nurses.

Couldn't have put it better.

It part of the policy of "balance" at the BBC for programs on the Great War, they do a set of reasonably good programs, and to restore "balance" they have some really c**p ones.

We haven't got to August yet, god preserve us from what's on the stocks.

I had intended to watch last nights episode to see if there was anything to redeem it - instead I watched "The Happiest Days of Your Life" a 1950's precursor to the St Trinians franchise starring Alistair Sim, Margaret Rutherford and Broomer's favourite Richard Wattis - most enjoyable it was too - it would be an overstatement to say it was the happiest day of my life but I was a darn sight happier watching it than "The Crimes Unfurled"

They should rename this series "Not much mud, not much blood, but a load of poppycock".

Is there any historical evidence for the 'ears' scene ?

I seem to remember reading or hearing (no pun intended) about the Gurkha's sometimes killing Germans on trench raids/ patrols and bringing back their ears but I can't remember the source.

I am bowing out of this thread . Returned from the pub yesterday in time to watch the programme but just couldn't face it ! But have lost my right to comment . Hope that those pals who carry on watching don't find it too gruelling.

Although i agree with a lot of what has been said , at the risk of being thrown off the forum for good i can't help observing that a lot of people have wasted a lot of time talking about a programme that has been full of condemnation. 16 pages!

Yup, this is the forums present entertainment thread. Commenting simply as I just cannot believe it is that bad, which, does not bode well if the TV companies intend to cover the whole centenary period with similar drivel.

Andy

Just watched the third episode. Even more ho hum, with three unconvincing changes in characters' attitudes. The set does look good. I don't know if

this

has been posted before? (I can't be bothered to trawl through the last 15 pages of this thread.) Note the comments, including number 2. Despite my hearing, I had no trouble with the dialogue, thought I didn't hear the helicopter noted in post 4.

I did wonder about the Hospital Blues worn by some of the patients. I'm familiar with their use in UK hospitals, but at one that handles casualties straight from the battlefields? At least my query about the nurse wearing a medal ribbon was cleared up.

Moonraker

I seem to remember reading or hearing (no pun intended) about the Gurkha's sometimes killing Germans on trench raids/ patrols and bringing back their ears but I can't remember the source.

Same myth in the Falklands but one incident alleged to a para. A lot of myth about the little chaps. All I can confirm is they make a hell of a curry.

Same myth in the Falklands but one incident alleged to a para. A lot of myth about the little chaps. All I can confirm is they make a hell of a curry.

Yes it probably is a myth, can't think where i read or heard about it, i may have even confused it with WW2 when they were fighting the Japs.

They should rename this series "Not much mud, not much blood, but a load of poppycock".

Is there any historical evidence for the 'ears' scene ?

I thought the ear scene was some type of homage to Francis Ford Coppola's "Apocalypse Now", the series thus far is very,very,poor.

French colonial troops were reputed to collect ears, even to be rewarded for the number collected, but always the same ear, and the man in the programme had a matching pair. Always a suspect 'scheme', as there was no way of ensuring that they were 'enemy ears' ...

Although i agree with a lot of what has been said , at the risk of being thrown off the forum for good i can't help observing that a lot of people have wasted a lot of time talking about a programme that has been full of condemnation. 16 pages!

Please don't get thrown off the forum Susan - the thread is not worth it! I must agree that 16 pages could have been put to better use but then again it is a forum for those to post what they wish (within reason, and it is up to the Mods to lock it when they reckon enough is enough).

Anne

The ears or the Gurghas or the Falklanders I suppose?

Mark Hone a full page ok wrote:

With 'Crimson Field', the whole thing is just so obviously bogus that I can't suspend disbelief. It's just a load of people in fancy dress playing at soldiers and nurses.

Yes it's getting to be a pretty rough slog, is the next one the last?

Please don't get thrown off the forum Susan - the thread is not worth it! I must agree that 16 pages could have been put to better use but then again it is a forum for those to post what they wish (within reason, and it is up to the Mods to lock it when they reckon enough is enough).

Anne

Anne: enough will never be enough when discussing this pearl of the BBC Director's and producer's art.

Incidentally, did anyone pick up my earlier question - is there any evidence for the pro-Rebel Irish soldier appearing on parade in the nip? Did it (or something similar) ever happen?

Conscientious objectors whose appeals had been turned down refused to don uniform, but whether they ever appeared naked?