Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Crimson Field - BBC drama series

NigelS

Well done Kath ! At last someone has found a tangible link between this programme and the Great War.

The Charlie Chaplin spoof mentioned in the article is pretty funny-- on Youtube here.

We can't watch it!!!!

Kath.

Well done Kath ! At last someone has found a tangible link between this programme and the Great War.

Looks like we've now gone full circle: My opening post on this thread included a link to a newspaper interview with Hermione Norris which discussed her grandfather's shell shock.

NigelS

The author Kate Saunders has just given this series a real toasting on Radio 4's 'Front Row' review programme, basically writing it off as inaccurate, cliched rubbish and an insult to the memory of Great War nurses and doctors. The presenter John Wilson vainly tried to defend the show but she was having none of it. We shall soon have the chance to make up our own minds...

I've just watched the recording I made of Episode 2 and won't be watching any further episodes for the reasons cited by Mark Hone in his excellent précis of Kate Saunders' comments. I enjoyed reading everyone's comments on this thread. Thank you all. It's so good to have my gut feeling put into words by those more eloquent than I!

Sue, Many thanks for the link. One of the more valuable posts about the Crimson Field. Just about as historically correct.

Old Tom

'Professor Hallett said: ... “It was amazing to see how they had recreated two wards and several other tents and it felt very authentic although of course some artistic licence is involved . . . Sometimes it could be quite difficult because they might want to do something one way for the drama but I’d have to come in and say ‘no I’m sorry they wouldn’t have done that in 1915’."'

As mentioned in the Kate Saunders interview, the series is mainstream drama, arguably another example of the undemanding entertainment offered recently by Downton Abbey, Mr Selfridge and The Musketeers.

Moonraker

'Professor Hallett said: ... It was amazing to see how they had recreated two wards and several other tents and it felt very authentic although of course some artistic licence is involved . . . Sometimes it could be quite difficult because they might want to do something one way for the drama but Id have to come in and say no Im sorry they wouldnt have done that in 1915."'

As mentioned in the Kate Saunders interview, the series is mainstream drama, arguably another example of the undemanding entertainment offered recently by Downton Abbey, Mr Selfridge and The Musketeers.

Moonraker

I think the difference between this programme and those mentioned above is that they've made no claim of historical accuracy. Had the producers of this not made such high blown claims - then possibly we would be focussing on it simply being a poor drama.

Scathing comments in "You Say" in today's Sunday Times Culture supplement (whose contributors of late have been fixated on anachronistic Routemaster buses in TV dramas): "lovely clean war; collar-attached shirts, no cap badges; medal ribbons for Tommies in recent battles" and "senior officers saluting navy style ... other ranks saluting without wearing caps, no cap badges, Sam Brown belts applied improperly".

I did notice a few medal ribbons, but assumed these could have related to service in the Boer War.

Moonraker

I spoke to a nurse about to retire last night - retire from nursing that is . She said even in the sixties as a young nurse she sat in complete silence when confronted by a ward sister, spoke only when spoken to. I haven't watched a bit of it I am avoiding more programmes on the war than I though that I would for some reason, but loving the thred!

I tend to agree with you David, fully trained career nurses would know better and be silent. I can't help thinking that the war enticed many young women to join for the same reasons as the young men. The chance to break away from home, travel and to be part of the big adventure and unlike the true vocational nurses, they would be difficult to discipline having gained a little freedom and perhaps having a bit of the suffragette spirit. I also suspect that like the boys, many girls lied about their age to be a part of it. They would have been immature and I think that comes out quite well in the programme.

In last weeks episode an Officers wife was sent for from England. His legs had been amputated. I find this hard to believe as forget the pristine uniforms and picture instead uniforms covered in blood and goodness knows what else, chaos with hundreds of patients and overworked staff. Not forgetting the noise of men in agony. However bad a patient would they have had civilians visiting?

Perhaps someone can put me straight on this.

If you think the nurses in this series are implausible and not true to the period, for goodness sake don't watch the low-budget WW2 film I saw last night, 'The Red Rose of Normandy', which features supposed German military nurses in mini-dresses and shocking red lipstick. That apart .... and overlooking the fact that the plot, script, acting, etc, are all execrable, the film is apparently well regarded in some circles for the period authenticity of the uniforms, equipment and military vehicles, all of which were provided by re-enactor groups. I confess that I had my doubts about the 1970s VW Beetle in a camo paintscheme, but otherwise the kit, weapons, trucks, tanks, etc, were indeed quite impressive .... which just goes to show that a production needs a great deal more than good props to be remotely convincing. I shall now watch this evening's episode of The Crimson Field with a very strong awareness that it could quite easily have been a great deal worse ...

In last weeks episode an Officers wife was sent for from England. His legs had been amputated. I find this hard to believe as forget the pristine uniforms and picture instead uniforms covered in blood and goodness knows what else, chaos with hundreds of patients and overworked staff. Not forgetting the noise of men in agony. However bad a patient would they have had civilians visiting?

Perhaps someone can put me straight on this.

Susan

Covered a number of times in the Forum.

See:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33937&hl=hotel+etaples

Kevin

In the Universe (the Memsahib buys it) there is piece on The Crimson Field where three of the actresses involved are briefly interviewed. The following is written by the interviewer:

"An incredible amount of effort went into getting every detail of the set, costumes and make-up effects as accurate as possible".

Words fail me....

I'm not as critical as some/many of the series (and find it a pleasantly undemanding way of passing a Sunday evening), but I have to agree with Squirrel. I can understand that when making a TV (or cinema) drama expediency sometimes over-rules accuracy, but there are some unfortunate basic errors.

Moonraker

Thank you Kevin and Ginger for the links.

With regards to the programme not being accurate, i totally agree. Although it wasn't put out as a docu-drama. We've had this all before with Downton Abbey and i do believe that the majority of people watching these programmes really aren't interested in, if this person is wearing the right badge or doing a wrong salute. They are not interested in the war only the human stories i.e will Suranne Jones character ever see her fiance alive again. Will there be a relationship between a certain Doctor and nurse. If you mention to someone who hasn't an interest in the war that the programme isn't accurate their eyes tend to glaze over because as i've said they aren't bothered. Speaking for myself i want programmes to be accurate because i'm really interested in the war and because if programmes aren't accurate how can we grow in knowledge.

Sunday Night and Episode 3 is on IPlayer. It's a nice slow motion train wreck. Oh boy.

Although I am considered an historical anorak by those who know me, ultimately I can't become too exercised about whether soldiers are wearing the right buttons or the make of lorry in one shot wasn't manufactured until 1922. What concerns me is when the makers of a programme have made no real attempt to capture the spirit of the period or represent important aspects of the era in an authentic way. What annoyed me about Downton Abbey was that they didn't even bother to get the basic chronology of the war correct-we had the Battle of the Somme happening before conscription was introduced and the chauffeur being worried about being sent off to the Dardanelles in 1917. With 'Crimson Field', the whole thing is just so obviously bogus that I can't suspend disbelief. It's just a load of people in fancy dress playing at soldiers and nurses.

They should rename this series "Not much mud, not much blood, but a load of poppycock".

Is there any historical evidence for the 'ears' scene ?