Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Crimson Field - BBC drama series

NigelS

Although I (naturally) deplore the anachronisms in the programme, what really appals me is the sheer ineptitude of it as drama. It's woodenly-acted, poorly-plotted and has everything slapped on thick for "dramatic effect". There's hardly a plot twist (sic - I just couldn't come up with a more suitable word) that isn't telegraphed several scenes in advance, and every PC box has been ticked several times over.

It's bilge and not even very good bilge.

The WW1 battalions in F&F may have been as well supplied with barbers

One, at least, hailing from Putney.

But - I repeat myself - you knew what it would be like.

I knew what it would be like.

I haven't watched a single moment of it.

Why do you ?

Serious question, I'm not being holier-than-thou (at least not on this occasion).

Why do you ?

Outraged indignation, and the fact that Episode 1 was worth a try and Episode 2 was worth watching to see if it managed the feat of getting worse. I wouldn't have thought it possible, but it managed.

I promise you, Mr Drill, I'll not be watching any more.

Stoppage is right, I'm guessing the majority of these posts could have been written before it was broadcast.

Hang on a minute fellas !

We need to remember this is made for popular consumption, not for the likes of us.

Compare it with The Monocled Mutineer, and it might be arguable that the BBC has learnt quite a lot about the Great War over the last generation.

More significantly, it would be interesting to compare it with the 1979 BBC adaptation Testament of Youth, which has such a similar theme.

Which one do you reckon would be more likely to pass muster ?

Despite my comments above, I suspect that the 1979 effort might be the one !

I have to stand by my plaudits for the quality of the acting, though. A high standard, I reckon.

Phil (PJA)

But the problem is more than historical accuracy Phil. Steven sums up the problem in post #301, it's rubbish drama.

Although I (naturally) deplore the anachronisms in the programme, what really appals me is the sheer ineptitude of it as drama. It's woodenly-acted, poorly-plotted and has everything slapped on thick for "dramatic effect". There's hardly a plot twist (sic - I just couldn't come up with a more suitable word) that isn't telegraphed several scenes in advance, and every PC box has been ticked several times over.

It's bilge and not even very good bilge.

I agree with all that you've written SB - you have it in a nutshell. I feel sorry for the cast though, some of whom are fine actors. The actors can only work with what they've been given - in this case an abysmal script and poor plot.

It is just very bad drama.

I'm sorry, but this subject deserved better.

Funny thing about TV. You can tell within a few seconds if someone is acting or it`s "real" footage of someone. Is acting not supposed to be realistic - like actual life? Or is that not artistic enough?

I also feel sorry for those who must have worked hard to try to recreate the hospital. I wonder if this thread asking about hospital tent dimensions had anything to do with the programme?

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191527&hl=%2Bhospital+%2Btent#entry1872975

I haven't read any criticism of the tents. Did they get that bit right?

My wife calls it Casualty on The Somme and she appears to be enjoying it. After she allows me to watch two football matches on Sky Sports Super Sunday who am I to deny her this programme!

Why do you ?

I was really looking forward to watching it, although I originally saw it advertised as The Arc. I've watched the other programs to mark the centenary and thought they were ok. I enjoyed 37 Days, and even found some of the debate on why Britain shouldn't have gone to war interesting, although I knew I wouldn't agree with it.

Trust the area I'm most interested in to be naff. Like others I wont be watching anymore.

There's been criticism that the two young surgeons don't conform to the idea many have of army doctors of a century ago, but if they did some people would complain of stereotyping!

BTW, there have been comments about the intrusive music. Perhaps because of my deafness in one year, I'm seldom susceptible to background music, but there were times when I found it intrusive in this programme.

Moonraker

This is embarrassing for me .

I don't know which is worse : my lack of discernment or my tendency to be too easily pleased....

Phil (PJA)

As someone said it is remarkable that a BBC drama of questionable merit generates more comment than a genuine aspect of the war. But, to add to the trivia. The medal ribbons worn by, I think, the Lt Col commanding this medical unit have been identified asincluding the LSGC. These days LSGCs are not awarded to officers but might be worn by an officer commissioned after receiving the award. Such officers would be likely to be Quartermasters. It seems unlikely that a QM would be in command of a medical unit. How's that for trivia.

Old Tom

A couple of the senior nurses appeared to be wearing a medal ribbon on the left "flap" of their capes. Exactly what was it?

Moonraker

A couple of the senior nurses appeared to be wearing a medal ribbon on the left "flap" of their capes. Exactly what was it?

Moonraker

I was under the impression that they were Royal Red Cross ribbons, which is a tad unusual in mid-1915 but not impossible. However, someone on Twitter says that one is RRC and the other is IGSM 1895-1902 (I'm just repeating what I was told and have no idea about the latter). I have my doubts about the IGSM - maybe the ribbon is right, but if so, I'm not sure the nurse could be entitled.

Sue

If there is such a thing, I wonder if there's a similar level of concern being raised on the Daphne du Maurier forum about the Beeb's up and coming dramatization of 'Jamaica Inn'?

Getting back on topic, is there any evidence, as suggested in the latest episode, that there were at times shortages of medical supplies and long waits for re-supply during the war?

NigelS

These days LSGCs are not awarded to officers but might be worn by an officer commissioned after receiving the award. Such officers would be likely to be Quartermasters.

Old Tom

Or a long serving ranker granted a regular commission like my great grandfather.

From this weeks Radio Times;

A soldier nursing a stump for a hand seeks solitude by the sea, but he's the focus of every angry eye as he's taken back to the field hospital by brisk-but-nice Matron Carter. He's been accused of cowardice and of deliberately injuring himself to escape the war. A court martial looms and its up to a pitiless major to make the decision. All of the senior officers are emotionally tin-eared toffs so the poor fellow must expect the worst.

Typed as it is, so don't clout me with any errors..........

Looking forward to this episode with relish, wot fun we are having with this !

Cynic.

:hypocrite:

I suggested a new 100 posts from episode 2, currently at about 90 so I'm sure I'll hit my mark. To paraphrase Reggie Jackson, it's not cynicism if it's true.

Still liking it. Still aware that it's a mental break, a chance to drain a glass of plonk and let the stack of books grow taller.

I found myself interested in the developing struggle between the NCO who was keeping the motorcycle and his petrol argument and the officer who ordered it returned. It's a reasonable example of how the NCO's and the Officer's had different spheres of influence and certain informal powers.

That got me to thinking about the rank of Major. Perhaps someone could mention what type of responsibility that rank typically carried?

I spoke to a nurse about to retire last night - retire from nursing that is . She said even in the sixties as a young nurse she sat in complete silence when confronted by a ward sister, spoke only when spoken to. I haven't watched a bit of it I am avoiding more programmes on the war than I though that I would for some reason, but loving the thred!

Yes, the thread is extremely interesting and thanks to NigelS for starting it way back on March 24th 2014..............seems like a lifetime ago! One wonders if it will still be going strong in March 2015?

Anne

Yes, the thread is extremely interesting and thanks to NigelS for starting it way back on March 24th 2014..............seems like a lifetime ago! One wonders if it will still be going strong in March 2015?

I can't take all the credit Anne, as my original thread was merged with another fairly on. (as a result it seems I've lost editing rights on the thread title or I'd have corrected 'Fields' to 'Field', removed the 'forthcoming', and possibly put a '?' after drama or maybe even changed it to ' BBC soap' ^_^ )

NigelS

Without any facts to base it on, why do I feel it may prove caliche festival?

QUOI?

And do you realise that I have missed days and days of opportunities to Grump away?

I watched the recorded first episode last night [my dear lady would not allow further procrastination].

Lost for words, but they will come. They will indeed.

As Bob G posted 'A court martial looms and its up to a pitiless major to make the decision. All of the senior officers are emotionally tin-eared toffs so the poor fellow must expect the worst.'

Perhaps the final scene from Carry on Nurse could be recreated, the one in which Wilfred Hyde White has a daffodil inserted into his bottom thinking it to be a rectal thermometer but this time using the pitiless Major in WHW's place?

It would be a darned sight funnier scene than the 'Long Weight' skit, believe me.

Maxi