Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Kindle deals

CarylW

Ian Senior 'Invasion 1914' is a Kindle deal at £1.09 today

Recently bought it in paperback - first rate. A steal at this price and so soon after paperback publication

David

Are you two in collusion?

Hazel

Sorry Hazel, it's just coincidence honest! But I really am surprised at Senior's book being 'remaindered' on the internet within a couple of weeks of publication. Chris Baker amongst other luminaries was lauding it elsewhere on the Forum. On this one I'm just following the crowd :hypocrite:

David

It'll probably go back to it's 'real' price shortly. Amazon often reduce prices for an indeterminate period, then revert, so get 'em while they're hot, is my motto.

I'm afraid that Kindle's have certain drawbacks (I was warned) with respect to reading books which are dependent on maps for comprehension. Like the one I bought this morning! Can anyone suggest a book of maps that I can use alongside the Kindle?

Thanks,

Hazel

I'm afraid that Kindle's have certain drawbacks (I was warned) with respect to reading books which are dependent on maps for comprehension. Like the one I bought this morning! Can anyone suggest a book of maps that I can use alongside the Kindle?

Thanks,

Hazel

My Kindle does allow me to zoom in and out of maps, but it's not ideal. Off the top of my head, Arthur Banks Military Atlas ( may not be quite the right title) though quite elderly, isn't bad. It's about to be republished by Pen & Sword, I think.

My Kindle does allow me to zoom in and out of maps, but it's not ideal. Off the top of my head, Arthur Banks Military Atlas ( may not be quite the right title) though quite elderly, isn't bad. It's about to be republished by Pen & Sword, I think.

Thanks Paul, will check that out. I have wanted something like that for a while, but it would appear that the "K" machine has exacerbated the problem!

Hazel

• 2 weeks later...

My UK Kindle Daily Deal email normally includes a romance novel, another novel, usually but not always crime or thriller, and one non-fiction book. There are exceptions: today's offered all 19 books in a series of crime novels.

There are also monthly offers. September's includes A. J. P. Taylor's War by Timetable: How the First World War Began for 99p. Ian Senior's Invasion 1914 is still £1.09.

Amazon's website says that there are 1,682,914 non fiction books available on Kindle. Of these, 173,837 are listed as history and 28,833 as military history. There is not a separate First World War category, but I would guess it accounts for about 25% of military history books from searches on First World War, Great War, WWI and WW1, and also by looking at the bookshelves of Waterstone's. These numbers suggest that the number of WWI books in the Kindle Daily and Monthly Deals recently has been quite high.

Thank you so much once again Caryl and Gibbo. Have ordered the Jasper and Taylor books, and the one was free as Caryl indicated. Had already ordered the Ian Senior book although it was not on sale here. I am not notified of any of these books by Amazon.ca.

Hazel

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed that Adrian Gilbert's "Challenge of Battle" is on sale for kindle on Amazon.ca.

H.C.

Freebie on Amazon Kindle, " A Poetic Time Capsule" by A.M. Barker. 300+ pages, includes Brooke, Sassoon, Owen, Kipling etc.

john

Thanks - super. The Gilbert book is $1.99

Hazel

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested, I've made this one available for free for the next few days...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/They-Gave-Their-Lives-Freedom-ebook/dp/B00ANG6XIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412795882&sr=8-1&keywords=B00ANG6XIO

Thanks Ken. Just ordered it.

Hazel C.

Adrian Gilbert 'Challenge of Battle' is 99p today, but it might have been that low for a bit. Also Huntley Gordon's memoir 'The Unreturning Army' is £3.99,although I seem to have had a 12p additional discount.

I got Gilbert's book about a week ago (and did post at the time) so it may have been on sale for a while. The other, I will look for.

thanks,

H.

Ken,

Downloaded thanks very much,

Ant

Free today 'Grandad's Great War diary'. One review (not a verified purchase) from 'pinkpenguin' states 'An interesting read based on the Grandfathers day to day diary in the trenches. A great little book for anybody interested in the T.A. London regiment, the 13th London's or the Kensingtons as they were known.'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HU1488M/ref=as_li_ss_sm_fb_gb_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=3194&creative=24814&creativeASIN=B00HU1488M&linkCode=shr&tag=specplacinfra-21&linkId=NOSEDB2SMU4SM652&=digital-text&qid=1413102945&sr=1-510&keywords=France

The American Amazon.com link

http://www.amazon.com/Grandads-Great-Diary-Geoffrey-Dickson-ebook/dp/B00HU1488M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413111295&sr=8-1&keywords=grandad's+great+war+diary

Sorry Hazel, looked on Amazon.ca and the book is there but no pricing information.

Free today 'Grandad's Great War diary'. One review (not a verified purchase) from 'pinkpenguin' states 'An interesting read based on the Grandfathers day to day diary in the trenches. A great little book for anybody interested in the T.A. London regiment, the 13th London's or the Kensingtons as they were known.'

Was just thinking about getting this title the other day. A very timely post for me. Thanks very much.

Chris

Next up for me, What Germans Think: or War as Germans see it. Written 1915 by Thomas F A Smith. Ph D. The German's view, press, etc on who caused the war.

Can be bought at Amazon books, or for free viewing, transfer to kindle, on the Gutenberg site.

john

Thanks again Caryl. I got it for free from amazon.ca. I don't use Amazon .com, as the postage when I buy books is horrendous.

Hazel

Sorry Hazel, looked on Amazon.ca and the book is there but no pricing information.