Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Kindle deals

CarylW

Just seen an ad which seems to suggest that the Kindle Fire can output Films/TV etc to a TV wirelessly. Possible?

John

A couple today - Richard Van Emden's " The Soldier's War" and Robert Ryan's "Dead Man's Land" - both 99p

Well at least you can empathise with Jellicoe: storm-tossed at Jutland and having difficulty communicating with his colleagues!!

Yes quite, it did feel like life on the ocean wave for a time but thankfully we weren't flooded out. Having no broadband though did mean fewer distractions and I caught up with books I wanted to read.

Just seen an ad which seems to suggest that the Kindle Fire can output Films/TV etc to a TV wirelessly. Possible?

John

Hopefully someone else with a Kindle Fire can tell you more. I tend not to do anything too technical because it's beyond my capabilities. Mine is one of the first Kindle Fire HD tablets, so maybe it's a feature of the latest version?.

A couple today - Richard Van Emden's " The Soldier's War" and Robert Ryan's "Dead Man's Land" - both 99p

What a bargain! Shame I already have them but enjoyed reading both.

Today at 0.77p, Max Plowman 'Subaltern on The Somme'

If you look very hard you can find free books to download. My most recent one is 1914 by Sir John French haven't started it yet. Also memiors of a dug out officer can't remember the name, but it's about a retired general officer who is working behind the scenes during the conflict. Also one about the Australians that takes you from enlistment to the trenches of France, bit like ANZACS.

That's Calwell. Quite an interesting read.

Most of the free ones on Kindle are actually just lifted from Archive.org or project Gutenberg where they are also free.

The low priced offers on Kindle are more tempting as they are still within copyright and therefore not available from the usual free sources.

Keith

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the tip-off, it looks an interesting story.

You can't get a better deal on my book than the £5.56 Kindle edition available now at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Flanders-German-Defeat-1918-ebook/dp/B008O8I72S/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_kin?ie=UTF8&qid=1386267425

But as John said above, I think I make about 0.25p on it when you buy. Don't forget to do it through the GWF link - they'll make a lot more that way than the poor author does.

Is that less than you get for a paper sale, Chris? If so I think it's about time kindle owners were aware of this. I had always thought the reduction in price was due to savings in postage and paper, not royalties.

I think that I paid 99p for the Kindle edition of Max Hastings's 1914 book. Hastings himself must get about that for each full price hardback sold?

I also bought the Kindle edition of Catastrophe at 99p (I've alread got the hardback, glutton for punishment, some may say) but it's back to £9.54 today. The very cheap deals usually only apply for a day or two, and you have to keep your eye out for them. Chris' book will probably go up again, but if it did drop to 99p, I'd download it, though, as with Sirmax, I've got it in hardback.

I suppose we should all be mindful of how much work goes into the books we want, against the price we like to pay, and how little the author might get, but is that covered by the publisher's advance, and further earnings from sales seen as a bonus?

"...but is that covered by the publisher's advance, and further earnings from sales seen as a bonus?..."

Laughs wryly on behalf of all the other authors out there.

How many of you have ever received an advance? And even if you did, what did it work out at when divided by the thousands of hours work involved in writing the thing?

Yes, once you get a "name" (or get lucky!) advances still exist. But rather thin on the ground for your average unknown/first/second time author...

Regards

Ian

Would hope that any royalty due on a book, whether hard copy or electronic, would not be affected by the retailers' or distributors' discounted sales; I doubt that the writer has any input on the decision to offer the discount, so hopefully only the retailers profit margin is eroded?

NigelS

My experience is that the author gets a percentage of the sale price. So if the book sells at 99p you get 7.5% of that (softback) or 10% (hardback) if my memory is correct. Kindle sales treated in the same way at the softback rate, I think.

You do get a modest advance, though and initial sales are charged against that so it only becomes an issue when sales reach your advance; after that a 99p sale nets you very little. I suspect my 'hourly rate' as an author (counting research and writing time) is about £1.20 or similar... :angry2: We do it for the love...

Bernard

Quite often though, I've downloaded a daily deal for 99p and enjoyed the book so much that it's made me look for and purchase other titles by the same author at a higher price. I did wonder if authors agreed for a book to be one of daily deals, so that readers would look for other titles written by them (?) I assumed that authors had given permission, so that this would in fact happen?

Some of the daily deals end up on the Kindle bestseller list. Surely no bad thing for an author?

• 2 weeks later...

Bought....cheers.

Bernard

• 1 month later...

All 5 vols of Winston Churchill's WW1 History 'The World Crisis' available for 99p each

vol 1 here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Crisis-Winston-Churchills-Collection-ebook/dp/B00FFD2DP2/ref=pd_sim_kinc_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0BXRQXF46PG7588B10ZE

Also Roy Westlake's 'British Battalions on the Western Front Jan-June 1915' available for £1.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Battalions-Western-Front-Westlake-ebook/dp/B00E8HPN08/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1396652391&sr=1-3-catcorr

All 5 vols of Winston Churchill's WW1 History 'The World Crisis' available for 99p each

vol 1

"Winston's writing about his role in the war, it's called 'The World Crisis'" Asquith

Still worth it for his turn of phrase

David