Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Kindle deals

CarylW

Not daily deals but a couple of interesting Kindle spring deals.

Women in the war zone: Hospital Service in the first world war
Your Country Needs You: The secret history of the propaganda poster
Oster
Winston Churchill's 'World in Crisis' series is also discounted in the spring sale.

Thanks Caryl. I bought the World in Crisis last time it was on offer but the propaganda book is a new one, great spot!

David

PS As you can see from this picture of my classroom this is quite a thing with me!

post-66715-0-70051500-1397740021_thumb.j

You need a Big Brother poster to complete the set! ^_^

You need a Big Brother poster to complete the set! ^_^

Excellent idea!

Very impressive collection David, particularly the Darth Vader poster, and reminds me again of the boring (at the time) history subjects we were taught in school.

Was that the book written by a forum member? I remember a long thread on the subject with a book planned.

Noticed this one today:

1913: The Year before the storm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1913-The-Year-before-Storm-ebook/dp/B00DG8V8MW/ref=br_lf_m_1000577623_1_4_img?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&pf_rd_p=484980487&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000577623&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0HK1642F6F1TCP541RWT

Very impressive collection David, particularly the Darth Vader poster, and reminds me again of the boring (at the time) history subjects we were taught in school.

Was that the book written by a forum member? I remember a long thread on the subject with a book planned.

Noticed this one today:

1913: The Year before the storm

Caryl

Thanks for that, another one I had looked at but couldn't afford before, now on the iPad!

I'm not sure about whether the posters book author was a forumite. I'll have a search as I'm sure I contributed to the thread at some point.

Many of the posters on my wall were sent to me by students past and present. They all know about my sad obsessions and pander to them!

David

I recently got a Kindle as a present. I had been quite prejudiced against them for some time for some reason, but am now suitably impressed. Until I get the store changed from Japanese I am stuck just ordering the free ones. I took a while going through the whole list of free books the other day, and so further to what djcrtoye said in post #32, I thought I would post the list here in case people are interested.

Keith is of course entirely correct, and I think all of them are already free online. However, I do not know why, but I do not like reading books on my computer, so for those who may be interested, here is what I found:

One young Man… by J. E. (John Ernest) Hodder-Williams

A History Of The First World War In 100 Objects Free Sampler: FREE SAMPLER: In Association With The Imperial War... by Colonel John Hughes-Wilson and Nigel Steel

Over There War Scenes on the Western Front by Arnold Bennett 1914 by John Denton Pinkstone, Earl of Ypres French (12 May 2012) Experiences of a Dug-out, 1914-1918 by Sir C. E. (Charles Edward) Callwell ( They Shall Not Pass by Frank H. (Frank Herbert) Simonds (30 Mar 2011 The War in the Air; Vol. 1 The Part played in the Great War by the Royal Air Force by Sir Walter Alexander Raleigh Letters of Lt.-Col. George Brenton Laurie (commanding 1st Battn. Royal Irish Rifles) Dated November 4th, 1914-... by G. B. (George Brenton) Laurie and Florence Vere-Laurie With The Immortal Seventh Division by Edmund John Kennedy War Letters of a Public-School Boy by Henry Paul Mainwaring Jones The Drama Of Three Hundred & Sixty-Five Days Scenes In The Great War by Sir Hall Caine The Doings of the Fifteenth Infantry Brigade August 1914 to March 1915 by Edward, Lord Gleichen The Crisis of the Naval War by Earl John Rushworth Jellicoe Jellicoe Treat 'em Rough Letters from Jack the Kaiser Killer by Ring Lardner and Frank Crerie Five Months at Anzac A Narrative of Personal Experiences of the Officer Commanding the 4th Field Ambulance, Australian... by Joseph Lievesley Beeston (16 May 2012)

The War Service of the 1/4 Royal Berkshire Regiment (T. F.) by C. R. M. F. (Charles Robert Mowbray Fraser) Cruttwell
With the Die-Hards in Siberia by John Ward (17 May 2012)

"Over There" with the Australians by R. Hugh (Reginald Hugh) Knyvett Never Again! by Edward Carpenter An Onlooker in France 1917-1919 by William Orpen

Fighting France, from Dunkerque to Belfort by Edith Wharton

France at War On the Frontier of Civilization by Rudyard Kipling

On the Edge of the War Zone From the Battle of the Marne to the Entrance of the Stars and Stripes by Mildred Aldrich (16 May 2012) Im Weltkriege. English by Ottokar Theobald Otto Maria Czernin von und zu Chudenitz With the French in France and Salonika by Richard Harding Davis The War on All Fronts: England's Effort Letters to an American Friend by Humphry Ward Armageddon-And After by W. L. (William Leonard) Courtney

In Our First Year of the War Messages and Addresses to the Congress and the People,March 5, 1917 to January 6,... by Woodrow Wilson and Wilfrid Muir Evans (12 May 2012)

Fighting For Peace by Henry Van Dyke

The Crime Against Europe A Possible Outcome of the War of 1914 by Roger Casement Kelly Miller's History of the World War for Human Rights by Kelly Miller The Audacious War by Clarence W. (Clarence Walker) Barron With the Allies by Richard Harding Davis The Inside Story of the Peace Conference by Emile Joseph Dillon Rebuilding Britain A Survey Of Problems Of Reconstruction After The World War by Sir Alfred Hopkinson

The Discipline of War Nine Addresses on the Lessons of the War in Connection with Lent by John Hasloch Potter

Young Hilda at the Wars by Arthur Gleason

The Blot on the Kaiser's 'Scutcheon by Newell Dwight Hillis

Mobilizing Woman-Power by Harriot Stanton Blatch

Gems (?) of German Thought by William Archer Rogers-isms, the Cowboy Philosopher on the Peace Conference by Will Rogers

Aus meinem Leben (German Edition) by Paul von Hindenburg

Three French Moralists and The Gallantry of France by Edmund Gosse

The Unprevented War: Why the First World War was Fought by Bill Price

I cannot vouch for the quality of all of them as I have only just begun, but I thoroughly enjoyed; "One Young Man", "1914", "An Onlooker in France", "Im Weltkriege", and "The Doings of the 15th Infantry Brigade":

I hope this helps,

Chris

Caryl

Thanks for that, another one I had looked at but couldn't afford before, now on the iPad!

I'm not sure about whether the posters book author was a forumite. I'll have a search as I'm sure I contributed to the thread at some point.

Many of the posters on my wall were sent to me by students past and present. They all know about my sad obsessions and pander to them!

David

Wasn't it 'funfly' himself who was writing a book/had one published, or are my wires crossed somewhere. Your students obviously retain a level of respect for you to send you posters. I wish we had studied the Great War in school.

Chris I've read some of those from your list but there were a few I hadn't so thanks. Which Kindle do you have? Maybe we can help you change the setting from Japanese to English!

Both FunFly and JamesWTaylor have had books, and it is James' one that is in the deal

I wish we had studied the Great War in school.

I know what you mean: we didn't go beyond 1914 even at University! I sometimes think that's why I overcompensate in teaching it now!

David

Both FunFly and JamesWTaylor have had books, and it is James' one that is in the deal

Thanks for the clarification Alan. One of our local precious metal dealer shops had an adapted Kitchener poster in the window with 'We Need Your Gold and Silver' !

Chris I've read some of those from your list but there were a few I hadn't so thanks. Which Kindle do you have? Maybe we can help you change the setting from Japanese to English!

I'm very glad it was useful in some way.

Kind of you to enquire about the settings. I have a Paperwhite, and the person who got it for me must have bought it with their credit card details as it seems to have automatically registered in their name. That's why I haven't actually bought any book yet, in case it charges to them. I think I have got to de-register it, then re-register it again... but another problem is that I haven't got WiFi at the mo (I used a local library to download the ones on the list I posted). What a palaver eh!

This useful thread seems to have fallen apart...

Indeed - can we come back to Kindle deals only please?

Indeed - can we come back to Kindle deals only please?

Sorry boss, will do

David

A pity such a strict line can't be taken on other serious threads which are constantly destroyed by irrelevant rubbish and so-called 'humour.'

Sue

A pity such a strict line can't be taken on other serious threads which are constantly destroyed by irrelevant rubbish and so-called 'humour.'

Sue

Sue - if you think a thread is being destroyed, then please report it. That is the way to inform the Admin Team of a matter of concern, as we don't always spot threads going off course. But I also think it would be a shame if there was absolutely no place for a little humour from time to time, where it does not derail the thread too much.

Alan

I'm inclined to agree with Sue and can't really see why we had a telling off here. All on topic as far as I can see. As the OP I thought of abandoning the thread because no-one seemed very interested and so it was good to see discussion about the subject of one of the books develop.

I'm inclined to agree with Sue and can't really see why we had a telling off here. All on topic as far as I can see. As the OP I thought of abandoning the thread because no-one seemed very interested and so it was good to see discussion about the subject of one of the books develop.

Please don't abandon the thread, Caryl, it is really useful to be aware of what is on offer. The off-topic stuff (which was nothing to do with books at all) has now been hidden

Perfect timing. I'm just getting my holiday reading matter together for our trip to the Med in a couple of weeks time. Thanks.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before:

The Man who Ran London During the War: The Diaries and Letters of Lieutenant General Sir Francis Lloyd

Sue

Sue

Thanks for that, I've been watching the price of the paperback go up and down, but the e-book is a bargain. Oh, and Caryl? Do please stay. i think the thread's gone a bit slowtime just now as there aren't so many WW1 deals about at the moment. I'm sure there will be more.