Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Kindle deals

CarylW

I'm not going anywhere Paul, although with a serious book addiction I should probably avoid this thread and all Kindle deals. I've just bought the ones posted today by Alan and Sue. Here's another one I'll probably end up buying

Subaltern on the Somme: Max Plowman is 77p

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SUBALTERN-THE-SOMME-Max-Plowman-ebook/dp/B00HB2HHTC/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I read this years ago when someone lent me a copy but I've forgotten most of it and it's worth another read.

Noticed that 'Women in the war zone: Hospital service in the first world war' is back up to over £7 now.

Caryl

I know that book addiction feeling!

A quick sweep of Amazon today, shows the following Kindle titles at £3.08 each:

Jack Sheldon's 'German Army at Ypres' and 'on Vimy Ridge'

Simon Jones - Underground Warfare

Christina Holstein - Walking Verdun

Something rather older, at £3.16, Walter Shaw-Sparrow, 'Fifth Army in March 1918'

Richard van Emden has three or four 'books' at less than £2, and Robin Neillands has a couple, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Today's find.

'From Mons to the 1st Battle of Ypres' by J Hyndson, 77p. Much quoted on Adrian Gilbert's recent 'Challenge of Battle' A slim volume but a slim price.

Thank you Paul that will do nicely! I am currently reading a spate of books about the first few months of the war, all written and published before 1918. This looks like being an excellent addition

Thanks again for the heads up

David

• 2 months later...

Thank you Caryl, that's a great deal. Duly snapped up

David

Today's deal. 'Peace and War: Britain in 1914' Nigel Jones

Did you get that via your ordinary email notification? It's definitely not on mine which is just a whole range of 'Bluffer's Guides'. But I'd never have found it otherwise.

Sue

Did you get that via your ordinary email notification? It's definitely not on mine which is just a whole range of 'Bluffer's Guides'. But I'd never have found it otherwise.

Sue

I haven't actually had a daily deal email yet Sue. The daily deal emails come in at all hours and sometimes not at all. I found the book above via a mail Amazon sent to tell me about books currently on offer that I might like. A summer deal I think. I probably assumed it was a daily deal. (I blame the heat) Looking at the daily deal page, they are as you say all bluffer's guides.

It just shows that they think you're much more serious-minded and worthy than me :hypocrite: Their recommendations to me are usually crime, thrillers and romance - today's was 'What Alice Forgot' by Liane Moriarty :w00t:

Sue

It just shows that they think you're much more serious-minded and worthy than me :hypocrite: Their recommendations to me are usually crime, thrillers and romance - today's was 'What Alice Forgot' by Liane Moriarty :w00t:

Sue

My recommendations are on the whole crime thrillers and apart from that I'm saying nowt :D There don't seem to be any Great War books appearing in the daily deals as there were earlier in the year.

Just noticed Prit Buttar's recently published 'Collision of Empires: The war on the Eastern Front in 1914' is on offer for 99p.

Reviews have been good and it is certainly a neglected area

David

Hope they have WW1 "deals" here, but I rather doubt it!

H

Just noticed this book, published recently and free on Amazon.

My War at Sea 1914-1916: A Captain's Life with the Royal Navy during the First World War wartime recollections of Heathcoat S. Grant, the captain of the HMS Canopus between 1914–1916
Browsing through the results of putting 'WW1' into the Kindle store search brings up quite a few I hadn't realised were now reduced in price and some I hadn't realised were now in Kindle format. Mentioned in this thread before but worth another mention are quite a few Richard Van Emden books now at 51p, including 'Tommy's Ark'. I have the hardback edition of that, it's a great read.
One book that I hadn't realised was now available in Kindle format is 'Liverpool Pals' by the late Graham Maddocks (I also have the printed edition of this). Not a deal as such but at £10.29 is well worth the money for such a lot of research material.
Hazel, hope you can find some Kindle deals in the Canadian Amazon store.

Have been following this with interest, and managed to get some good reads ready for our travels. My War at Sea is especially pleasing as Humphrey ( below in the list of our relatives) and killed at the Battle of Jutland, was a midshipman on the Canopus.

Thank you!

Cheers Shirley

Just noticed this book, published recently and free on Amazon.

My War at Sea 1914-1916: A Captain's Life with the Royal Navy during the First World War wartime recollections of Heathcoat S. Grant, the captain of the HMS Canopus between 1914–1916
Browsing through the results of putting 'WW1' into the Kindle store search brings up quite a few I hadn't realised were now reduced in price and some I hadn't realised were now in Kindle format. Mentioned in this thread before but worth another mention are quite a few Richard Van Emden books now at 51p, including 'Tommy's Ark'. I have the hardback edition of that, it's a great read.
One book that I hadn't realised was now available in Kindle format is 'Liverpool Pals' by the late Graham Maddocks (I also have the printed edition of this). Not a deal as such but at £10.29 is well worth the money for such a lot of research material.
Hazel, hope you can find some Kindle deals in the Canadian Amazon store.

I found that one yesterday and downloaded. Thanks so much. It would have taken me forever to figure out all this stuff on my own!

Hazel C

• 4 weeks later...

Le Cateau by Jack Sheldon and Nigel Cave in the Pen & Sword Battleground series is available for £1.99 at the moment

Le Cateau by Jack Sheldon and Nigel Cave in the Pen & Sword Battleground series is available for £1.99 at the moment

Thanks! Done!!

Hazel C.

Gary Sheffield's 'Forgotten Victory' is new in Kindle format at £2.99. Originally published in 1988, it has a new chapter 'Afterthoughts in 2014'. Haven't read that addition yet, but did read the book when it first came out, and thought it very good (OOAA)

Gary Sheffield's 'Forgotten Victory' is new in Kindle format at £2.99. Originally published in 1988, it has a new chapter 'Afterthoughts in 2014'. Haven't read that addition yet, but did read the book when it first came out, and thought it very good (OOAA)

Thanks again Paul. I do have that in print, but will get the Kindle version for the update, as that is an aspect of the war in which i have an interest.

Amazon.ca does not advertise these deals here, but when I hear about them and check, the prices have been similar. So far!

Hazel

Currently a number of Richard van Emden's books are on sale for 51p. These include the recent 'Meeting the Enemy" (Go on Hazel there must still be a bit of room left in the nether regions of your Kindle!)

David

Edit: The subsequent 'also bought' recommendations include Andy Robertshaw's recent summary of the Somme in the 'Battle Story' series for £1.09 and Stephen Cooper's 'The Final Whistle: The Great War in fifteen players' for 99p

Currently a number of Richard van Emden's books are on sale for 51p. These include the recent 'Meeting the Enemy" (Go on Hazel there must still be a bit of room left in the nether regions of your Kindle!)

David

Edit: The subsequent 'also bought' recommendations include Andy Robertshaw's recent summary of the Somme in the 'Battle Story' series for £1.09 and Stephen Cooper's 'The Final Whistle: The Great War in fifteen players' for 99p

I hope you realise that my "to read" pile would be walking out the door were it not for this Kindle thing!! Then there is the "cloud" thing that seems to hold even more! I ordered the "Meeting the Enemy" and the Harry Patch book but I am not sure that I really like Van Emden's books. I think maybe I have read too many "I remember" books, and I was disappointed with "Last Man Standing". The reason may be that I waited so long to get it and had built it into something it wasn't. I did enjoy his "Boy Soldiers"though. Van Emden is a bit too much like Lyn Macdonald for my taste. I think I sort of "outgrew" her. Are there any more of them you enjoyed? Will go look at the other two books now.

Hazel

Hazel

'The Soldier's War' is my favourite although it certainly meets your '...I remember' description. I also liked 'Boy Soldiers' and 'The Quick and the Dead'

I warmly recommend Stephen Cooper's book, although it helps if you like rugby

David

Edit: Know what you mean about the Cloud. With my wife and both daughters having kindles and all using my Amazon account, the Ridgus cloud is most definitely cumulonimbus :thumbsup:

Hazel

'The Soldier's War' is my favourite although it certainly meets your '...I remember' description. I also liked 'Boy Soldiers' and 'The Quick and the Dead'

I warmly recommend Stephen Cooper's book, although it helps if you like rugby

David

Edit: Know what you mean about the Cloud. With my wife and both daughters having kindles and all using my Amazon account, the Ridgus cloud is most definitely cumulonimbus :thumbsup:

Will get the books you suggest. Have not read "The Quick and the Dead" so will get it. The Cooper book though is about the equivalent of 6 pounds here.The first one to cost more! Having said that, when one doesn't have to pay for shipping....................

Thanks,

Hazel

Very frustrating, I see your specials, but of course they are not on in oz! However, this morning happened on a little second hand bookshop and bought 2 Eric Newby books and Robin Neilland's Eighth Army for a total of $14.90 so quite content. Am busy loading books on the kindle to read while touring the Western Front and have some of the ones already mentioned.

Just purchased 'the Final Whistle" on your recommendation, Chris will be delighted, though we will of course be fighting over the wretched kindle!

Cheers

Shirley

Freebie new on Gutenberg, Australia In Arms, by P.F.E. Schuler, War Correspondent for Melbourne newspaper.

Written & published 1916, 300 plus pages include photos, maps, appendix and index. Well worth a look.

John