Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Kindle deals

CarylW

'The Somme Stations' Andrew Martin is one of today's Kindle daily deal books for sale today only at 99p

A contemporary novel, so no doubt not everyone's cup of tea. Apparently, according to one reviewer it's a 'mix of first world war action, detective fiction and narrow gauge railway', so maybe one for the railway buffs. Seems to be quite a popular series, with the investigator known as the 'steam detective'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004MPR85Y/ref=amb_link_176742927_3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1WBQ81DA860WE0RTAN6R&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=423026627&pf_rd_i=1000577623

Bought it ages ago, started it - never finished it "once put down never picked up again"

I have downloaded it through Audible.co.uk to my iPad and look forward to listening to it next week.

There's another Great War related book featured in today's daily deal. Might be something to do with the anniversary coming up but there seem to be more of them of late, in the new 'historic daily deal' so maybe worth checking on daily to find one that suits personally. The prices of the ones I've noticed recently, including the one above, have reverted back to the original price the next day.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000577623

I'm not personally recommending any of them!

Downloaded The Somme Stations, as I'm rather partial to detective fiction (and railways) and the author and series are new to me

Amazon now has my 6th Manchesters' book at £5.14 for the Kindle version, as opposed to £16.25 for the print one.

Hang on. Wait a minute. I make bu&&er all in royalities on a Kindle version. Forget I spoke.

Pen & Sword are trumpeting their e-book selection. In e-pub and Kindle format. Lots of titles, many of them Great War. Quite as few appear to be cheaper than on Amazon.

I downloaded 'The Somme Stations' and am part way through the book. As someone who enjoys detective stories, railways and particularly anything about the Great War, I really wanted to like it. However, as with the first book in the series, 'The Necropolis Railway', which I struggled through a year or two ago, I have found it curiously unengaging. The premise is good and Andrew Martin clearly knows his stuff when it comes to railways but there is some vital spark missing. I think that the writing lacks a certain lightness of touch and I have not believed in the characters in either book. A pity, as I enjoyed the BBC documentary on writers and railways which he presented a few years ago and his journalism is often quite amusing.

• 2 weeks later...

A very good read indeed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Kindle fire is now reduced to £119 - save £40!

Mind you, apart from reading with them, I don't know what else a Kindle does. Anyone care to enlighten?

Kim, the Kindle Fire can be used for most of the functions that other tablets have. I'm using one now here. Browsing, emails, social media. The HD ones have excellent clarity and quality when watching TV or video. (The first day I had mine I watched 'Africa' on iPlayer and was amazed by the picture quality). One downside, if you can call it that, is that although BBC iPlayer is available for KF, the other channels on demand aren't. Although there is a free app to download 'TV Catch up' to watch live TV Freeview channels. Really only lets you use apps from Amazon though. Takes photos, has a camera - can Skype. Good for reading, can alter settings for text size, brightness etc., and search books. I'm happy with mine for the price. I use my laptop for tasks like editing images and other stuff I can't do on a tablet.

I love my Kindle fire for reading First world war books, have put about 40 books on so far.

The best part is that you can adjust the font to make it easier to read.

Joe

• 1 month later...

'Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany, and the winning of the Great War at sea' Robert K Massie, is today's Daily Deal at £0.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Castles-Steel-Britain-Germany-Winning-ebook/dp/B00D5FOIDC/ref=br_lf_m_1000577623_1_4_img?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&pf_rd_p=450733967&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000577623&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1V6GH8SB2FFK4WQVMQAT

Mixed reviews. No idea how worthy or accurate the book might be.

'Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany, and the winning of the Great War at sea' Robert K Massie, is today's Daily Deal at £0.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Castles-Steel-Britain-Germany-Winning-ebook/dp/B00D5FOIDC/ref=br_lf_m_1000577623_1_4_img?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&pf_rd_p=450733967&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000577623&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1V6GH8SB2FFK4WQVMQAT

Mixed reviews. No idea how worthy or accurate the book might be.

It's really good. It is the sequel to 'Dreadnought' which is one of the best narrative histories about the run up to the war. Massie is a popular historian who is a disciple of Barbara Tuchman and has the same knack for making potentially dull detail come to life. His description of the run up to Jellicoe's famous order at 6.15 pm at Jutland is spine tingling.

David

You can't get a better deal on my book than the £5.56 Kindle edition available now at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Flanders-German-Defeat-1918-ebook/dp/B008O8I72S/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_kin?ie=UTF8&qid=1386267425

But as John said above, I think I make about 0.25p on it when you buy. Don't forget to do it through the GWF link - they'll make a lot more that way than the poor author does.

Not having a kindle ... can you search for specific words or text like ctrl F on a computer ?

Yes indeed, you can search for any term - what I specifically like is that you can search across your entire collection for a word - so you can find all the books on your Kindle that mention (say) Jellicoe (disclaimer - I don't believe this works on Kindle HDs or the Kindle App though)

Thanks

It's really good. It is the sequel to 'Dreadnought' which is one of the best narrative histories about the run up to the war. Massie is a popular historian who is a disciple of Barbara Tuchman and has the same knack for making potentially dull detail come to life. His description of the run up to Jellicoe's famous order at 6.15 pm at Jutland is spine tingling.

David

Only just read your post and that's good to know. I know very little about naval battles and luckily managed to buy the book at that price just before the storm hit and wiped out our broadband for three days.

Yes indeed, you can search for any term - what I specifically like is that you can search across your entire collection for a word - so you can find all the books on your Kindle that mention (say) Jellicoe (disclaimer - I don't believe this works on Kindle HDs or the Kindle App though)

No, searching for a word across an entire collection doesn't work on Kindle Fire HD (that I can see) , although any book on a HD can be searched for any word.

Only just read your post and that's good to know. I know very little about naval battles and luckily managed to buy the book at that price just before the storm hit and wiped out our broadband for three days.

Well at least you can empathise with Jellicoe: storm-tossed at Jutland and having difficulty communicating with his colleagues!!