Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P1888 bayonets

jscott

That has to be one of the cleanest and clearest 'VR' cyphers around! All of mine, and most of what I have seen, have very weakly-impressed crowns and cyphers... A very nice piece!

Trajan

Ahww shucks! ☺️ Thanks.

I was V. impressed with the quality of both bayonet and scabbard. The clarity of the stamps was a clincher.

Once grouped with a No23 Mills and Plaque, pair and tags it was quite a bargain! ?

• 3 months later...

Picked this up at Brecon Militaria fair today.

Mk 1 type 2. Dated 7-95. Pommel marked IYC. No. 18309. Sold out of service marks. Scabbard is No.4374. Frog is stamped IY. 39. 125. it is also faintly stamped Royal Oxford(shire).

All parts are stamped with the same Enfield inspection mark. Crown 16 E.

The Frog was dry, but otherwise in pretty good nick. The metalwork on the scabbard is fairly poor, it hadn't been out of the frog in a long while and took some gentle persausion due to accumulated crud and corrosion.

post-119457-0-86666100-1463947761_thumb.

post-119457-0-78675600-1463947784_thumb.

Grips, scabbard,tang and Frog are all stamped ?16. E.

post-119457-0-83264700-1463948826_thumb.

post-119457-0-89033600-1463948847_thumb.

post-119457-0-26991500-1463948875_thumb.

GWF,

A nice matching set.

There appears to be another stamping to the right, and below that a cancellation mark ' < o > ', can you see anything ?

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-69642900-1463950746_thumb.j

GWF,

A nice matching set.

There appears to be another stamping to the right, and below that a cancellation mark ' < o > ', can you see anything ?

Regards,

LF

I think it's a duplication of the cancellation mark.

There is also a K stamped on the tang.

Perhaps stating the obvious, but the bayonet is made at/by Enfield, and the IY of course stands for the Imperial Yeomanry, just in case you weren't aware ...

The 3 line stamping found on the frog is most likely the name and address of the leatherwork maker, so somebody working at Royal ??????? in Oxford.??

Cheers, S>S

Very nice set there indeed!

A few comments / guesses / etc, if I may - but be aware I claim no expertise especially when it comes to the Imperial Yeomanry!

1. "IY C" - Duke of Cornwall's LI? - if they sent a contingent? On the other hand, the Imperial Yeomanry certainly had squadrons 'numbered' alphabetically - so a 'C Squadron'?

2. BUT, the serial / issue number seems very high for a squadron... However, being a POF, I did a bit of research (i.e. Google! :whistle: ) and found a site that suggested the original IY of 20 battalion numbered "550 officers and 10,371 men", and so is this 18th Battallion Imperial Yeomanry (Sharpshooters), serial / issue 309?

3. Is there a crowned number over a 'M' mark on the bottom of the tang? There has been quite a bit of discussion on these, and they seem to be common to all Enfield P.1888's - see http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=239286#entry2402193passim

4. IY 39 / 125 There was an IY 39 Battalion, I believe, so the frog is for them (they arrived too late, I understand, and just missed the war and so its men did not qualify for the medal!), and, of course, serial / issue number 125

5. No doubt on the Royal Oxfordshire marking! Actually major doubts on it now that I am in the office and I managed to reverse the image to make it clearer... SS's suggestion of a maker is fine - but who?

Again, a very nice and pleasing find!

Julian

EDIT: to add 'strike through'.

Perhaps stating the obvious, but the bayonet is made at/by Enfield, and the IY of course stands for the Imperial Yeomanry, just in case you weren't aware ...

The 3 line stamping found on the frog is most likely the name and address of the leatherwork maker, so somebody working at Royal ??????? in Oxford.??

Cheers, S>S

Thanks for the confirmation on the marks s>s. That's how I read the frog marks too.

Very nice set there indeed!

A few comments / guesses / etc, if I may - but be aware I claim no expertise especially when it comes to the Imperial Yeomanry!

1. "IY C" - Duke of Cornwall's LI? - if they sent a contingent? On the other hand, the Imperial Yeomanry certainly had squadrons 'numbered' alphabetically - so a 'C Squadron'?

2. BUT, the serial / issue number seems very high for a squadron... However, being a POF, I did a bit of research (i.e. Google! :whistle: ) and found a site that suggested the original IY of 20 battalion numbered "550 officers and 10,371 men", and so is this 18th Battallion Imperial Yeomanry (Sharpshooters), serial / issue 309?

3. Is there a crowned number over a 'M' mark on the bottom of the tang? There has been quite a bit of discussion on these, and they seem to be common to all Enfield P.1888's - see http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=239286#entry2402193passim

4. IY 39 / 125 There was an IY 39 Battalion, I believe, so the frog is for them (they arrived too late, I understand, and just missed the war and so its men did not qualify for the medal!), and, of course, serial / issue number 125

5. No doubt on the Royal Oxfordshire marking! Actually major doubts on it now that I am in the office and I managed to reverse the image to make it clearer... SS's suggestion of a maker is fine - but who?

Again, a very nice and pleasing find!

Julian

EDIT: to add 'strike through'.

Thanks for your guesses, your input is always appreciated.

I've had a better look at the markings under a loupe. The tang has an solitary "M" on one side, a "K" on the other. There's also a "T" on the pommel below the twin cancellation stamps.

... The tang has an solitary "M" on one side, a "K" on the other. ...

This solitary 'M' is on the underside? Hmmm... Ah well, there has to be at least one exception to prove the rule! :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Shame about the scabbard but otherwise looks interesting! No unit markings?

There is a solitary A on either side of the tang.  The end of the pommel is stamped A. 6. 9(9?) I think. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

14 minutes ago, msdt said:

41 Company, Royal Garrison Artillery were based in Plymouth according to the Long, Long Trail.

http://www.1914-1918.net/rga-companies-index.html

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks Tony. 

10 hours ago, trajan said:

Shame about the scabbard but otherwise looks interesting! No unit markings?

You got there before my second set of pictures. 

The scabbard is definitely up for replacement at some point. 

I once collected bayonets and had quite a nice little collection which I unfortunately sold many years ago. The only one I kept was an 1888 type which

my dad had bought me when I was a teenager at a bric a brac auction. Reading through this interesting thread I have discovered that it is a three rivet

early type and quite valuable. I sold my collection for a song and one of the items is probably now worth three times what I got for the whole lot , but

at least i kept one bayonet that is valuable in both sentimental and monetary terms.

1 hour ago, Black Maria said:

I once collected bayonets and had quite a nice little collection which I unfortunately sold many years ago. The only one I kept was an 1888 type which

my dad had bought me when I was a teenager at a bric a brac auction. Reading through this interesting thread I have discovered that it is a three rivet

early type and quite valuable. I sold my collection for a song and one of the items is probably now worth three times what I got for the whole lot , but

at least i kept one bayonet that is valuable in both sentimental and monetary terms.

Well, you certainly seem to have kept one of the nicest and rarest of the GB bayonets! Would love to see a photograph!

23 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

There is a solitary A on either side of the tang.  The end of the pommel is stamped A. 6. 9(9?) I think. 

image.jpeg

That's been around a bit... Anyone up for an analysis???!!!

Can't think what the other pommel mark might be though. Odd place and odd configuration for a GB marking, but other than that...???

I don't have a digital camera unfortunately so I tried scanning it so I'm afraid it's not a very good picture.

bayonet 1.jpeg

bayonet 2.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Can anyone help me with identifying the unit for my bayonet? Purchased it in Turkey and was claimed to be picked up from the battle field at Suva Bay. It has a "C" and the number 709 on the pommel. Also has a 4 and a sideways 7 on the top of the pommel as well as what could be a "T" and a C on the blade. I think the unit name was on one of the brass rivets but it can't be read. Any insights would be helpful.

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

On 9/14/2016 at 11:38, Black Maria said:

I don't have a digital camera unfortunately so I tried scanning it so I'm afraid it's not a very good picture.

Hi Black Maria!

You posted right at the beginning of the university term which is how I missed this... OK, a scan not as good as a photograph - but a very nice piece to have. I am quite envious - this is the one type missing from my collection! It is indeed a P.1888 Mk 1, and if you ever decide it needs to go to another home, let me know and I'll get the air tickets!

Julian 

On 12/13/2016 at 15:26, 7fd bty gunner said:

Can anyone help me with identifying the unit for my bayonet? Purchased it in Turkey and was claimed to be picked up from the battle field at Suva Bay. It has a "C" and the number 709 on the pommel. Also has a 4 and a sideways 7 on the top of the pommel as well as what could be a "T" and a C on the blade. I think the unit name was on one of the brass rivets but it can't be read. Any insights would be helpful.

Hi 7fd bty gunner, 

Well, it could have been left over from the Gallipoli campaign as these bayonets were in use there. But certainly not picked up from any of the battlefields unless it was picked up about 98 years ago as there are no corrosion products on it!

It is an interesting one, with Victoria markings, but a 1901 date, so right at the end of her reign. The serial number markings don't, I'm afraid, say much, and certainly not the regiment that 'owned' it.

A nice piece though, and as it has no 'reissue' marks and as you bought it in Turkey, then it could well have been an Ottoman 'bring back' from Gallipoli, but also from the Mesopotamian or Palestine theatres.

Julian

• 3 months later...

A couple of new finds - A Mark 1/2, and a Mark 2. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Mk. 1/2 markings. 11/96 dated.  rack No.176. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Markings on the Mk2. 11/06 dated. 

The Pommel stamp looks like TB R.E.  or R.A.

Training Brigade?  

Many ideas for the C4 stamp are welcome. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg