Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P1888 bayonets

jscott

2 hours ago, shippingsteel said:

Yes Chris the Militia and Volunteer Battalions operated concurrently. After the 1908 reforms the Militia became the Special Reserve while the Volunteers became Territorial Battalions.

As is stated also on wikipedia!

BTW, on Militia and regulat batt., note that the IWM has a photograph (https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/90300) of a memorial plaque to the men of the '"4th Bt Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders Royal Renfrew Militia" (sic, all one unit name) who died in South Africa 1900-1901.

Julian

On 10/08/2021 at 12:45, Sarchet said:

Thanks! My understanding is that 3rd Battalion remained in England as a training unit for the duration, so this one is unlikely to have seen action.

Thank you! I thought it was a MkI 2nd Type but the '03 was throwing me off. The manufacturer is not really visible either; I'll try a soapstone rub and see if it brings out the original year. It has definitely seen some abuse; the ring was slightly deformed and the end of the T-slot peened over so that it would not fit on a rifle, which I carefully corrected, and there was a lot of active rust I cleaned off with oil and brass wool being unable to boil it due to the riveted grips. 

Will,

Did the soapstone do a good job on this bayonet?

What grade/color/supplier of soapstone do you use for this type of work?

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
Add info]

I have just managed to get to my bayonets, and see that I do have a P.1888, marked for the 'M / 3.A.&.S.H.' Issue date polished away, re-issued at least three times, as late as 1906, but VR and WD marked, so made before pre-1897.  I'll try and photograph it later.

Julian

On 30/11/2021 at 11:16, JMB1943 said:

Will,

Did the soapstone do a good job on this bayonet?

What grade/color/supplier of soapstone do you use for this type of work?

Regards,

JMB

No dice unfortunately, the original markings are well worn away. Nothing is left to catch the soapstone.

I'm not sure what grade it is, certainly artistic soapstone/talc as it is very soft, but I have a few chunks I've picked up for pennies at yard and estate sales so I've never bothered to find a proper source for it. Most of what I've got is greenish or yellowish, although it all turns off white when rubbed into markings.

Cheers,

Will

Will,

Thanks for that.

Regards,

JMB