Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Grenades both British and Enemy.

Lancashire Fusilier

Nice pieces, hardly ever see the more unusual ones now. I had a few so rusted they fell apart and I managed to sell the brass bits on ebay for a nice little sum.

Nice pieces, hardly ever see the more unusual ones now. I had a few so rusted they fell apart and I managed to sell the brass bits on ebay for a nice little sum.

I'm away for a few days but will put up some more photos at the end of the week.

John

It would seem that the No.35 rifle grenade was introduced early in 1918 (The LoC date for the No.35M is January). Here are two from my collection showing the 11-inch rod which gave a max. range of 220 - 240 yards and the alternative 15-inch rod giving 350 - 380 yds. (It doesn't mention accuracy!). Both retain their original buff paint but it seems that neither were filled as there are no filling bands. Both retain the string beckets on the safety pins, and the copper finish on the rods. The 15 inch version has no markings and is fitted with a blanking plug and the other has its detonator housing and is marked G.T.L 1918. This is Gestetner Ltd, London. The primary purpose in introducing this grenade was to minimise the brass content used. Hey, LF - perhaps you should delete the 'hand' description from the title! - SW

post-47661-0-14840200-1383732866_thumb.j

A nice pair SW. My 35 is also from Gestetner.

John

This is Gestetner Ltd, London. The primary purpose in introducing this grenade was to minimise the brass content used. Hey, LF - perhaps you should delete the 'hand' description from the title! - SW

SW,

Great examples, would ' Gestetner ' be the same Company who later made copying machines ?

A good idea to edit the Thread title to reflect all WW1 grenades, done.

LF

Here is one of the last rodded grenades to be introduced during the Great War. The No.39 or Steuart. These grenades were manufactured and heavily promoted by George Beaton & Sons who produced a million of them, mostly during the Autumn of 1918. (PRO/MUN 4/2624 History of the Ministry of Muntions) Although they are difficult to find now. Essentially they were similar to the No.35 which is shown for comparison, but were fitted with a nose impact fuze instead of the inertia type which was used by Hales grenades. Beaton claimed that this was more reliable, particularly on soft going. Like the No.35 they were fitted with long or short rods, 15 inch or 11 inch. The former giving a range of 350 yards. This example has never been painted (Some weren't , just rustproofed.) but is otherwise complete. The nose is marked G.B.& S Ltd, No.39 MK I. 1/18.- And yes in reply to an earlier post by L.F. G.T.L. was the famous Gestener Copying Machine firm. SW

post-47661-0-69537900-1383819542_thumb.j

Germans setting up their rifle grenades for firing, using an interesting piece of equipment to calibrate trajectory.

LF

post-63666-0-60565600-1383912834_thumb.j

M14 rifle grenades on rack for firing via Mauser (re last image).

TT

The M.1914 rifle grenades pictured were in the process of being loaded into Gew 98 rifles that are clamped into Schiesgeftel M.1915 stands. The forward end of the clamp holding the rifle has been released from the stand and swivelled backwards to facilitate the grenade being loaded into the rifle muzzle. It goes right into the barrel until the grenade is in contact with the muzzle. It can then be returned to the firing position and secured. A propelling cartridge is then loaded into the rifle breech. Firing was generally by use of a lanyard for safety reasons. These grenades were generally launched from 3 or 4 rifles forming a battery because of their poor individual accuracy. For this reason the M.1914 grenades fell into disuse during 1916 and their role was fulfilled by the 'Priest' spigot mortars firing the well known 'Pigeon' bomb. Again these were usually fired in battery. The earlier M.1913 grenade had already been discontinued because there were no external safety devices and only close examination of a round would show whether or not it was safe to launch. Failure to check could result in a premature at the muzzle. Great photo LF. - SW

Here are the German M.1913 Rifle grenade and the M.1914. The M.13 was a pre-War design that had been designed and adopted without really considering operational needs and without full field testing. The striker was held to the rear by being embedded in a capsule of black powder. A small percussion cap was fired by the inertia of the launch from the rifle and this burnt away the powder capsule leaving the striker held from the detonator by an anti-creep spring. This was overcome when the grenade struck exploding the charge. However rough handling, such as dropping it on its stick could ignite the capsule, arming the grenade with only a slight mark around the base to indicate the capsule had burnt. Further handling could result in a premature. The M.14 had a very complex and expensive fuze that was also armed by the grenade being launched. This dislodged an annular brass ring releasing a ball bearing which had held the striker in a compressed safe position. Once the ball had been dislodged any impact on the fuze nose could fire the main charge. In this case there was a safety fork in the fuze which had to be removed to prepare the grenade for launch so it was somewhat safer than the M.1913.

Both grenades had 16 inch rods with copper gas checks and ranged out to 350 metres. The M.13 is fitted with a transit plug and the fuze of the M.14 is shown in the 'armed' position. (I lost the ball -bearing somewhere!). Note that this is a very early example without a spigot to accept a saucer shaped spoiler to reduce the range and give a steeper trajectory. - SW

post-47661-0-79592500-1384005581_thumb.j

Here is the principle projectile from the Priest Granatenwerfer .M.16. a 1.85 kg fragmentation bomb with a lethal radius of 30 metres and a maximum range of 300 metres. The propelling cartridge was in the tail boom and it had a simple nose impact fuze. ( Inertia action) There were also messenger and illuminating rounds which could be fired from a light portable projector as well as the Priest. This example is dated 7 August 1916 on one of the tail fins. - By this date the Priest had largely replaced the rifle rodded grenades in German service although photos taken in the Vosges show them still in use. - SW

post-47661-0-18610900-1384007698_thumb.j

The M1913 Rifle grenade also has the interesting quality of being the first aerial bomb dropped in WW1. A German aircraft flew over Paris in the first weeks of the war and the observer had taken a handful of M1913 Grenades with him. A couple of casualties resulted I believe.

John

On the M1914 theme here's a couple of mine showing the unarmed and armed position of the fuzes plus a range limiting disc.

John

post-8629-0-14368800-1384012986_thumb.jp

post-8629-0-60446600-1384013009_thumb.jp

And an M1913 too with fuze. These fuzes were the problem this model grenade was discontinued quickly in the war. It normally failed to work when it hit soft ground. The M1914 fuze, which is incredibly complex and must have cost a fortune to make was the answer.

John

post-8629-0-45417500-1384013220_thumb.jp

Another version of the M1914. This is one I obtained a little while ago. I though at first it was a practice grenade (normally painted red) however the end unscrews, so looks to be a message carrier. Interestingly there is no depiction of this version in Delhomme's book.

Comments on rarity appreciated. I've not seen another one.

John

post-8629-0-52140600-1384013390_thumb.jp

post-8629-0-44591400-1384013403_thumb.jp

Here is the principle projectile from the Priest Granatenwerfer .

Another excellent example, the ' Priest ' Granatenwerfer, named so as it was reputed to have been invented by a Hungarian priest, was originally an Austro-Hungarian weapon, later made under licence by the Germans in 1915. It was extremely popular with the troops due to its ease of use and portability, rapid rate of fire, and excellent range.

LF

post-63666-0-51220500-1384015370_thumb.j

Since No.24 Grenades appeared a little earlier in this thread I thought you may be interested in these. As may be seen the Mark I is a sectioned example for instructional purposes and is fitted with a nickel plated dummy detonator set to indicate that it is inert, which is correct. The string becket on the safety pin has gone missing but the body retains it's original buff paint. This grenade was developed from the No.20 Mk II to facilitate production and economise on material. In particular it had been found that the setback on discharge was so fierce that the safety collar sometimes rebounded from the waisted section of the No.20 and returned into position, trapping the safety bolts and causing a blind. In the No.24 that section was made parallel, allowing the collar to slide off down the rod. However the design of the body of the No.20 Mk II had also been retained which was now made from steel tubing with circumferential grooves turned into the metal. This was felt to give poor fragmentation and a low lethal radius and was much disliked, and this led to the introduction of the No.24 Mark II version which introduced a cast iron body which gave better results. This example retains its original finish with buff body, red filled band and pink band for ammonal. It may be noticeable that the pink band has not turned white!!. It also retains it's string becket and coppered finish on the rod.
Both grenades may be found with 11-inch or 15-inch rods. The head of the Mark I is dated 1/17, sectioning has partially removed the maker's initials but G.T is still visible which would be Gestetner Ltd again. - SW

post-47661-0-59043800-1384091012_thumb.j

I've got a body of a German M1914 Rifle Grenade, does anyone know where I can get the parts to complete it?

Gaz

Gaz, try ebay - I've seen a seller advertising original semi relic fuse/s for the M1914 rifle grenade on ebay fairly recently. These Eastern European diggers tend to make some good finds in the way of grenade components.

Since No.24 Grenades appeared a little earlier in this thread I thought you may be interested in these. As may be seen the Mark I is a sectioned example for instructional purposes and is fitted with a nickel plated dummy detonator set to indicate that it is inert, which is correct.

SW

SW,

This is the first sectional No.24 I have seen, thanks for sharing.

Regards,

LF