Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Grenades both British and Enemy.

Lancashire Fusilier

Interesting picture from a kit point of view - the Warrant Officer handing out the grenades appears to have a private purchase SD jacket, with a false belted section, V-cuffs and lower bellow pockets.

Andrew

FYI: he's RSM, 11th Royal Scots, seemingly between March and July 1918.

Cheers,

GT.

FYI: he's RSM, 11th Royal Scots, seemingly between March and July 1918.

Thanks GT.

I am sure that if the type of WO's jacket shown in the black and white photograph, which is almost like an officer's jacket from the collar down, appeared today almost 100 year later, many would question its authenticity due to it being somewhat unusual. Hence the historical, and authentication value of these photographs.

In a slightly ironic twist, there is a very nice original issue SD jacket on display in the RE museum that has been professionally converted to cuff rank during it's life. Possibly a Simplified jacket originally, as it has has no rifle patches and what appears to be the larger pockets (the pleats may have been added):

http://postimg.org/image/zch53tdjn/

Officers_cuff_jacket_converted_from_OR_s

In a slightly ironic twist, there is a very nice original issue SD jacket on display in the RE museum that has been professionally converted to cuff rank during it's life. Possibly a Simplified jacket originally, as it has has no rifle patches and what appears to be the larger pockets (the pleats may have been added):

Andrew,

The jacket looks very similar indeed, and what a strange version of a Major's cuff rank jacket. However, in out of the way places and with the drastic shortages of kit, who knows what had to be done to keep everyone in uniform. Anyway, it is nice to see the photographic evidence of such jackets existing in the field.

Regards,

LF

Just as a diversion from Mills, I have dragged these out, all empty including fuzes.

post-11859-0-84490800-1383555042_thumb.j

Just as a diversion from Mills, I have dragged these out, all empty including fuzes.

I deliberately changed the name of this Thread in the hope of seeing a lot more grenades in addition to the Mills, do you have their details ?

Regards,

LF

I will dig out the 1915 Kugel and stick grenade later. This wasn't one of them, but the only place I have found the Diskushandgranate M1915 in any numbers was in a collapsed trench at Roclincourt.

Left - German Discus grenade 1915, Middle German egg Grenade 1917 igniter, right 1913 Kugel with 1913 Igniter.

John

Stielhandgranate M 1916 and another egg I had forgotten. Very difficult to find stick grenades in decent condition, I did some repairs to the stick on this one. I have mislaid one M1915 Kugel.

post-11859-0-55689700-1383581593_thumb.j

Heres a couple of cut downs, French F1 with 2 fuzes and fuze cover. Plus an evocative little group of the porcelain pulls from the stick grenades most found in the same place, I imagine he was one busy soldier.

post-11859-0-89440300-1383582891_thumb.j

post-11859-0-72761000-1383582910_thumb.j

Handing out Mills grenades prior to setting off on a Trench Raid.

LF

I've read about a few trench raids. I've never heard of one starting from a brick barn far behind the front line.

Looks like another posed propaganda photo.

John

It could be a general distribution before going to the front line. The man in the shaving cream does however undermine the state of readiness.

Nice image, but look at the evidence and it weakens considerably.

John

There are sister images to this: one showing the men depositing personal items - wallets, paybooks etc etc - into a sack as shown in the picture.

The raid was apparently abandoned just prior to launch owing to the death of its leader, probably one Lieutenant Cavanagh.

The muster point was ostensibly the village of Meteren, so the brick buildings are not out of the way.

Cheers,

GT.

There are sister images to this: one showing the men depositing personal items - wallets, paybooks etc etc - into a sack as shown in the picture.

GT.

GT,

Yes, you are right. I had previously posted those images back in post # 28, and did not connect them with that new photograph until you pointed them out, many thanks.

Here they are again.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-20924300-1383598137_thumb.j

post-63666-0-59427700-1383598155_thumb.j

I've read about a few trench raids. I've never heard of one starting from a brick barn far behind the front line.

Looks like another posed propaganda photo.

John

Same village, seven days later. This not the most propagandistic shot ever.

meteren_zpsabbaa1de.jpg

Cheers,

GT.

Rifle Grenade quiz.

John

From top to bottom :-

No.24 Mk.II - No.35 Mk.I - No.24 Mk.I - No.3 - No.23 Mk.II

LF

Cheers,

GT.

GT,

The dead soldiers, could have been in those same photographs in post # 418.

LF

They're not the same troops.

The casualty image refers to an attack by the 2nd Bn, SA Bde, 9th Div, with the corpse collectors being RSF. The 14 ptn makes the bodies 2nd RSF, as I have never seen SA troops in it.

The raiders are RS.

Cheers,

GT.

meteren_zpsabbaa1de.jpg

Cheers,

GT.

Last hijack of the thread: note the brigade insignia of the 9th Division - to whit the bands painted around the RSF's Brodie shells.

Herewith an example seemingly from 8th RH of the 26th Bde, 9th Div.

BlackWatch.jpg

Also note the red cloth arc on the shoulders of the 11th RS troops in the bomb distribution 'propaganda' image at Post #398 and #403.

Cheers,

GT.

Last hijack of the thread: note the brigade insignia of the 9th Division - to whit the bands painted around the RSF's Brodie shells.

Herewith an example seemingly from 8th RH of the 26th Bde, 9th Div.

Also note the red cloth arc on the shoulders of the 11th RS troops in the bomb distribution 'propaganda' image at Post #398 and #403.

Cheers,

GT.

GT,

I am sure nobody considers such excellent detailed information a hijack, it certainly adds to the quality of the Thread.

In fact, I was going to ask you about the white helmet bands.

Appreciate the detailed and very interesting information.

Regards,

LF

From top to bottom :-

No.24 Mk.II - No.35 Mk.I - No.24 Mk.I - No.3 - No.23 Mk.II

LF

No 35 Mk I, No 24 Mk II, No 24 Mk 1, No 3/20 Hybrid, and No 23 Mk 1.

I was actually sold the 24 MkII in France and it was labelled No 35. A rare grenade, only used for a matter of weeks.

Nearly right LF.

John

I was actually sold the 24 MkII in France and it was labelled No 35. A rare grenade, only used for a matter of weeks.

Nearly right LF.

John

John,

I also, had those two the other way around.

Regards,

LF