Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Grenades both British and Enemy.

Lancashire Fusilier

Illustrating the longevity of the Mill's Grenade, here is another grenade from my Collection, a Mills No.36 instructional cut-a-way grenade, probably made after WW2, perhaps in the 1950s., and includes its original training igniter made up of a copper covered detonator, fuze and firing cap chamber, with all the parts fully removable.
It makes an interesting desk paperweight.

LF

post-63666-0-36897200-1382444734_thumb.j

post-63666-0-57233000-1382444753_thumb.j

post-63666-0-92855900-1382444774_thumb.j

post-63666-0-67214500-1382444790_thumb.j

post-63666-0-09796000-1382444811_thumb.j

LF. I've seen similar. Yes possiby post war and probably made by an armourer locally for a Grenade instructor.

John

The ' WSHC ' marking appears to be the same as on the ' ears ' of my grenade, only your's is more clearly marked.

Regards,

LF

LF

The 'ears' are more correctly called shoulders.

John

LF. I've seen similar. Yes possiby post war and probably made by an armourer locally for a Grenade instructor.

John

LF

The 'ears' are more correctly called shoulders.

John

John,

Not sure where the ' ears ' came from, as I have noted the reference books also refer to the grenade's ' shoulders '. Anyway, from now on it will be shoulders.

Regards,

LF

In 1921, there was a List of Changes No. 24755 dated 10 Aug 1921, which specified production a sectional No.36 grenade to be used for instructional purposes. This was to be a 3/4 section ( 1/4 removed ) showing the internal arrangements of the grenade and the action of the striker. The releasing lever, was to be attached to the grenade body by a short length of brass chain.

Although this LOC was issued, none of the 3/4 sectional No.36 grenades were manufactured.

LF

Hi LF

I sold a nice 3/4 sectioned 36 about a month ago. Even the baseplug was 3/4 cut. However, there are lots of 36 Sectioned grenades and I think most were made locally. In WW1 of course there were contracts with Brooks & Doxey and E A Radnall for sectioned grenades.

John

The wrong War! but nevertheless an interesting photograph, again illustrating the longevity of the Mills Grenade.

LF

post-63666-0-96361400-1382530107_thumb.j

I've actually got two mint examples from 1972. Never filled and still in their protective bags. These were from the last batches made.

John

Worlds biggest Mills. Nearly 18 inches tall. Working wooden model! Ex Home Guard Grenade instructor. Bet you've not seen one of these before?

John

post-8629-0-49538900-1382546178_thumb.jp

I've actually got two mint examples from 1972. Never filled and still in their protective bags. These were from the last batches made.

John

John,

Nice ! any pictures ?

With regard to the 3/4 No.36 sectionals, they would have been ' unofficial ' examples, as none were officially produced under LOC 24755.

Regards,

LF

Worlds biggest Mills. Nearly 18 inches tall. Working wooden model! Ex Home Guard Grenade instructor. Bet you've not seen one of these before?

John

Never, and very interesting to see.

Regards,

LF

The '72's are packed away but I'll get them out to photograph them in the next day or two.

The working model has an arrangment of elastic bands on the back. Pull the pin, the lever flies off and the striker decends.

It's quite possibly unique.

John

Here we are LF. Two mint unfilled unissued 36 still in the protective plastic bags from 1972. Both are made to a very high standard compared to wartime examples. They are marked to the ROF Patricroft, but the bodies were made by Qualcast but with Q on the front. After production they were stored in a 'War Reserve' store until about 3 years ago. They never went to a filling plant and have a piece of cloth tape over the filler holes. Most notable is the return to the original baseplug shape with two holes. This change occurred in the mid 60's and went through to the end of production; nostagia?

I don't intend to take them out of the bags.

John

post-8629-0-98213300-1382638191_thumb.jp

post-8629-0-40489900-1382638210_thumb.jp

post-8629-0-47240400-1382638237_thumb.jp

Thought I'd get in on the action and post one of my semi-relic Mills Bombs on here. This has a May 1916 dated D.F.Co base plug. I seem to recall that the label said something about it being an early example but I'm afraid my expertise on these does not stretch to knowing exactly why. Perhaps you good people can help - anything 'early' about this one?

In a side piece of anecdotal nonsense, a diving friend was recently telling me about his trip to the Red Sea to dive the SS Thistlegorm wreck, sunk by German bombs in 1941. He was pleased to have found a guide to take him to the wreck site who seemed to know his stuff. He was not however too pleased to find the same guide produce a mills bomb from one of the cargo holds, apparently oblivious to what it was. Unfortunately, there is no universally recognised underwater hand signal for 'That's a hand grenade, you mad b*stard!', although I believe the warning was eventually communicated successfully...

Simon

I don't intend to take them out of the bags.

John

John,

Superb, and certainly keep them in their original bags.

What a great find! you are indeed fortunate to have them.

Regards,

LF

This has a May 1916 dated D.F.Co base plug.

Simon

Simon,

Nice examples, and you have a Mills No.5, probably 1915 with the D.F. and Co., being the Derwent Foundry Co. Ltd., Exeter Place, Derby.

Your diver friends did well to leave the old and probably live grenade, well alone!

Regards,

LF

Just dug my No36M MK1 1971 ROF(P) grenade out . Q8 on the centre segment below the filling hole with a 1/8" hole bored above and below in the groves.Must get a couple more different ones one of these days. Oh yes and it is a DP.

regards

John

Many thanks LF. Out of interest, what makes you say the grenade was manufactured circa 1915? Presumably you've a clever way of telling.

Below is a photo of one of the Mills bombs that made it out to the 'Darned Knells' before the end of the campaign. I photographed it at the war museum in Krithia back in 2007. It's shown beside the seldom encountered Turkish ball grenade.

h86.JPG
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Simon

Many thanks LF. Out of interest, what makes you say the grenade was manufactured circa 1915? Presumably you've a clever way of telling.

Simon

Simon,

Unfortunately, I do not have any clever way of telling, other than your base plug is the design used on the No.5 Mills Grenades which were introduced in May, 1915. The next version, the No.23 was introduced in June 1916, with many of the No.5s coming in 1915.

That is why I said probably 1915, although it could certainly have been dated prior to June 1916.

The base plug is usually dated with the month and year date, have you looked for any date on your grenade's base plug ?

Regards,

LF

Thanks LF. The base plug is dated May 1916 but, as it can be removed, I suspect that it may not be original to the body. I do have another relic No. 5 with the base plug firmly lodged in there which was made at the Falkirk Iron Foundry in December 1915.

I thought you perhaps might have been picking up on some manufacturing technique or casting characteristic that would identify it as an earlier example.

Simon

The base plug is dated May 1916, I do have another relic No. 5... made at the Falkirk Iron Foundry in December 1915.

Simon

Simon,

Your May 1916 base plug would still be correct for your No.5 grenade, as is the December 1915 base plug.

The base plug for the Mills No.23 was a completely different design, as it was made to take a rod for a rifle grenade.

Regards,

LF

Yes, you're right. I'd no real concerns about the plug not being right for the bomb. I suppose I just wanted the body to be more discernibly 1915 manufacture to make it a proper 'early one'. I've a soft spot for things for things 1915 you see. ^_^

Simon

Yes, you're right. I'd no real concerns about the plug not being right for the bomb. I suppose I just wanted the body to be more discernibly 1915 manufacture to make it a proper 'early one'. I've a soft spot for things for things 1915 you see. ^_^

Simon

Simon,

Your No.5s are as early as it gets, they were the first version of the Mills Grenade. WW1 Mills Grenades have always been popular, and they are extremely popular today, and with the WW1 Anniversary looming, they will become even more popular.

Regards,

LF

Thanks, LF - consider me consoled! I have another No. 5 Mk I in semi-relic condition with a D stamped into one of the segments in the middle of the body below the brass filler screw. Is there any way of linking this to a manufacturer? I always thought that such letters were manufacturer codes or suchlike?

No. 5 Mk I in semi-relic condition with a D stamped into one of the segments in the middle of the body below the brass filler screw. Is there any way of linking this to a manufacturer?

Simon,

I do not know what that ' D ' represents, and it may also relate to the casting.

Perhaps another member knows the answer ?

Regards,

LF

SW, it's a beauty. Where on earth did you find it? I've never seen one for sale anywhere, only the later war fragmentation type with arabic script, which I won't touch since a load of relatively convincing fake ones appeared on the market a couple of years ago.

Simon