Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

"Taken by an Arab photographer while at a rest camp at the Base (Alexandria) a few days after landing"

R.W.F. T.F. (2).jpg

On 12/09/2021 at 16:39, FROGSMILE said:

The work party photo is a cracker and shows the typical huts that were erected at various camps over Salisbury Plain, including Larkhill and nearby Durrington.  I think that they’re either, digging a drainage ditch between the huts, or perhaps making the necessary hardcore bed for the small gauge railway that was constructed to connect all the camps and ease the transportation of supplies and building materials.  Forum member @Moonrakerwill have a particular interest in your photographs.  Thank you for posting.

More likely a drainage ditch. The railway was in fact standard gauge and didn't run that closely between huts. (There was a small tramway that transported shells from the railway to the Hamilton Battery, but this was not so close to the huts.)

On 15/09/2021 at 06:31, Moonraker said:

More likely a drainage ditch. The railway was in fact standard gauge and didn't run that closely between huts. (There was a small tramway that transported shells from the railway to the Hamilton Battery, but this was not so close to the huts.)

Thanks Moonraker, that makes sense.  I used to live at Codford and often took the opportunity to take a walk over the site of the NZ Hospital in the Punchbowl.  Some surviving huts could still be seen in the Chitterne valley below and of course several spurs of the rail track ran there too.

Edited by FROGSMILE

"3rd Mon(mouthshire) Battalion Territorials at camp in Cheshire 1908"

R.W.F. T.F. (4).jpg

40 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

"3rd Mon(mouthshire) Battalion Territorials at camp in Cheshire 1908"

R.W.F. T.F. (4).jpg

Quite a mixture of uniform too.  The company rear left in the traditional grey but the company rear right wearing 02 service dress.  The officer on the right of the group in the foreground appears to be from a fusilier regiment.

Edited by FROGSMILE

18 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Quite a mixture of uniform too.  The company rear left in the traditional grey but the company rear right wearing 02 service dress.  The officer on the right of the group in the foreground appears to be from a fusilier regiment.

Thanks. Would the three figures, left hand side with their back to camera, be bandsmen?

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Thanks. Would the three figures, left hand side with their back to camera, be bandsmen?

I don’t think so.  If they were flute cases they would be worn on the front of the belts.  The whitened object left rear of waist-belt is more likely a Slade-Wallace pattern bayonet frog fitted with bayonet.  The movement to fix bayonet was carried out with the left hand behind the back so that it could easily be grasped there.  They are probably from the Guard of Honour.

C7A36A22-5021-4635-A92E-939E282C08FA.jpeg

F5687A4F-87A7-4DD2-9278-EA8491483F8A.jpeg

4567FCDB-072A-41C8-9D04-33B37188BA03.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

16 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I don’t think so.  If they were flute cases they would be worn on the front of the belts.  The whitened object left rear of waist-belt is more likely a Slade-Wallace pattern bayonet frog fitted with bayonet.

Many thanks. 

On 14/09/2021 at 20:58, GWF1967 said:

Mine too. 

36D3B6B8-B9D6-44A9-8779-C812DB2FB80B.jpeg

Might it be another word rather than Button?  It doesn’t make any sense that we can’t find a reference to it.

41 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Might it be another word rather than Button?  It doesn’t make any sense that we can’t find a reference to it.

Indeed. I posted the original hoping for suggestions. 
Perhaps a nickname/in joke. 

46 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Indeed. I posted the original hoping for suggestions. 
Perhaps a nickname/in joke. 

Yes I suppose that’s possible, odd though. 

"The Territorials Under Canvas" 

Posted from Scarborough Camp July 8th 1912, by 1399. Pte. John Longstaff Edmondson. 1/5th Durham Light Infantry.   B. 1895. 

France. 17/4/915 - Served as John Longstaff.   Promoted. Colour Sergeant/ Company Quartermaster Sergeant

Died. 5/11/1918.   Buried. St. Sever Communal Cemetery Extension, Rouen. 

T.F. Camp (2).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

"The Territorials Under Canvas" 

Posted from Scarborough Camp July 8th 1912, by 1399. Pte. John Longstaff Edmondson. 1/5th Durham Light Infantry.   B. 1895. 

France. 17/4/915 - Served as John Longstaff.   Promoted. Colour Sergeant/ Company Quartermaster Sergeant

Died. 5/11/1918.   Buried. St. Sever Communal Cemetery Extension, Rouen. 

What a cracking picture.  It looks as if the photographer was able to get atop a water tower or some other elevated structure to get such an overview.

50 minutes ago, Jerry B said:

Buttow outpost in India, mid 19th century, probably does not help

https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/120769377?mode=transcription

A nice try but probably not Jerry.

Somerset Light Infantry. No date or other details I’m afraid. From my collection but I don’t have it yet! Hope it might be clearer when it arrives. 

Margaret

D0535195-BE4A-49AA-8680-5289526A1189.jpeg

FA4B3E51-538B-4019-AC98-8CF7E080BA98.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Margaretnolan said:

Somerset Light Infantry. No date or other details I’m afraid. From my collection but I don’t have it yet! Hope it might be clearer when it arrives. 

Margaret

D0535195-BE4A-49AA-8680-5289526A1189.jpeg

FA4B3E51-538B-4019-AC98-8CF7E080BA98.jpeg

The backdrop is typical for an annual summer training camp Margaret.  It’s a very human scene with the men looking rather disheveled having been gathered for an impromptu photo opportunity.  Several of them are wearing the bleached canvas fatigue suits worn routinely for dirty chores.  Thank you for posting.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

The backdrop is typical for an annual summer training camp Margaret.  It’s a very human scene with the men looking rather disheveled having been gathered for an impromptu photo opportunity.  Several of them are wearing the bleached canvas fatigue suits worn routinely for dirty chores.  Thank you for posting.

One happy face among them. I’ve just noticed the really small guy in the second row. Tiny.

15 minutes ago, Margaretnolan said:

One happy face among them. I’ve just noticed the really small guy in the second row. Tiny.

Yes I saw him too and at first thought he was a boy soldier, but it became obvious on examination that he was just stunted, as some men were at that time due to childhood malnutrition.  The better one’s were channeled into so-called bantam battalions, but it became impossible to sustain them with sufficient replacements.  I wonder what happened to him, he was truly tiny as you say, and would probably have struggled to bear the load required for ‘marching order’.

Edited by FROGSMILE

19 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes I saw him too and at first thought he was a boy soldier, but it became obvious on examination that he was just stunted, as some men were at that time due to childhood malnutrition.  The better one’s were channeled into so-called bantam battalions, but it became impossible to sustain them with sufficient replacements.  I wonder what happened to him, he was truly tiny as you say, and would probably have struggled to bear the load required for ‘marching order’.

He’s well under 5ft. I also just noticed the blue cross on the man extreme left in the same row. The sender of the card! 

28 minutes ago, Margaretnolan said:

He’s well under 5ft. I also just noticed the blue cross on the man extreme left in the same row. The sender of the card! 

Yes and he looks suitably dozy doesn’t he!

Edited by FROGSMILE

Cracking picture and on the left is I think maybe a quite rare badge of appointment.  It needs a close up really, but I think it’s a ‘Quarter-Master-Sergeant Wheeler’, marked out by a wheel superimposed on four inverted stripes.  Can someone do a close up to confirm?

Edited by FROGSMILE

525251880_T.F.Camp(7).jpg.235937cc932163fdff1ce68b72b6d34b.jpg

Correct. Badged on both sleeves.

Edited by GWF1967

8 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

525251880_T.F.Camp(7).jpg.235937cc932163fdff1ce68b72b6d34b.jpg

Correct. Badged on both sleeves.

Excellent, yes it is.  Quite a rare badge to see.