Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

You’re doing it again Kim, I think you’ve posted that same image in this thread more than once before 🤔 
They certainly are very impressive though, I agree! 👍

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 2 weeks later...

Sydney Thomas Bollans.  December 5th 1915. 

B. Kentish Town.   Enlisted. Holborn.  29/10/1915 - Pte. 34656.  18th (Reserve) Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers (2nd London Welsh).

Transferred 15/2/1916. Pte. 27734. Machine Gun Corps.   France 1/4/1916.   8th Coy. M.G.C. 

S.T. Bollans.jpg

I have been helping a young chap with some of his relatives who served in the Great War and these two wonderful photographs have just come to light

Lance Bombardier John William Chappell, 185259, enlisted  into the Royal Field Artillery on the 10/12/1915, served in 'D' Battery, 99th Brigade, RFA until 'D' Battery joined 101 Brigade RFA in July 1916, both 22 Division. John was born 20/04/1894 in Dewsbury, Yorkshire. 

I thought the photograph of, then Gunner Chappell, mounted was a great shot. John is also in the second photograph, middle centre rank.

Ubique!

AD39E268-DD88-4A8A-9BE1-0BBB343A1C38.jpeg

61F16AD6-CFD5-468F-AE2A-BD41A8ED659B.jpeg

On 18/06/2020 at 16:49, Jerry B said:

lovely sharp pic of a TF with multi level metal shouldertitle but just taken at the wrong angle to read what it says. T over arty of some sort I assume, though there are other options but the lanyard might be a sign he was arty

mixed lot inc welsh unknown tf.jpg

mixed lot inc welsh unknown tf crop.jpg

Wow, what massive ears.  Still a very brave man tho.

On 17/07/2021 at 19:49, john gregory said:

Wow, what massive ears.  Still a very brave man tho.

soon to join the RFC....but indeed, any who served then, were brave men

• 2 weeks later...

My very first postcard. I was able to find details on only two or three of the officers. I think Rawles, Upton and possibly Heckworth if my memory serves me right.

Margaret

73ED8683-820D-4C3F-878C-7C5271C301C9.jpeg

01F25269-A097-47E8-A067-5090B680EFFC.jpeg

55194910-A920-4DE9-965A-B65617B08D34.jpeg

9 hours ago, Margaretnolan said:

My very first postcard. I was able to find details on only two or three of the officers. I think Rawles, Upton and possibly Heckworth if my memory serves me right.

Margaret

73ED8683-820D-4C3F-878C-7C5271C301C9.jpeg

1/6th Essex Regiment Officers Mess Staff. 

Private. Denham. - Bertie Christopher. 275953.

Pte. Rawles. - Thomas. 275695

Pte. Dolder.  - Percy Albert. 275968. or Herbert Edward. 275692.

Pte. Chambers. - Frederick Henry. 275635.

Pte. Wilks. - Percy. 276105

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

Thank you very much. @GWF1967

Have the card a few years, said I’d go search for their details again. Is the name of the camp Helmish?

Much Appreciated. 

Margaret.

• 3 weeks later...

New Army Lincolnshire Regiment lads in impressive symbolic turnout for the camera in the back garden of their billet, likely mid to late 1916.

Pete

8E4A7F14-A733-407F-AD35-41312DA09EBF.jpeg

On 01/08/2021 at 22:06, GWF1967 said:

From memory usually only the mess sergeant was explicitly on the battalion establishment and taken from one of the platoon sergeant slots, who was then replaced by a corporal appointed Lance Sergeant.  The rest of the men were the officers batmen (servants) working together to provide a mess facility in addition to the individual work for their particular officer. 

1 hour ago, Pete_C said:

New Army Lincolnshire Regiment lads in impressive symbolic turnout for the camera in the back garden of their billet, likely mid to late 1916.

Pete

8E4A7F14-A733-407F-AD35-41312DA09EBF.jpeg

That’s a super image Pete with a good view of the 1914 equipment and their unit shoulder titles. The inclusion of the little girl gives the photo an especially poignant aspect and overall the scene reeks of innocence.  I cannot look at it without thinking lambs to the slaughter.  Thank you for posting it.

Edited by FROGSMILE

"C Company Sergeants"   "24th London Regiment. "C" Coy.  Sutton Veney Camp".  

Photo by "Newman, 117 Coldharbour Lane, London, S.E"

C.Coy 24th Lon..jpg

12 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Photo by "Newman, 117 Coldharbour Lane, London, S.E"

Interestingly, I also posted on this thread (20 Nov 2020) a group photo of RGA (+1 AVC) Sergeants at Flowerdown Winchester by the same photographer. I wondered at the time if the Sergeants were of a London raised Heavy Battery. 

Perhaps this photographer followed the London men, although I've yet to see this photographer on any of the Hazeley Down PCs I have - they all tend to be local Winchester photographers. 

12 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

The LLT doesn't record the 24th at Sutton Veny. What date do you think this card was taken?

Could it be 1/24th or 2/24th?

Certainly the 3/24th were at Hazeley Down in 1916 & 1917. 

That's definitely a Queen's cap badge though. 

Edited by Alan24

Many London Regiment battalions were at Sutton Veny, including the 2/24th from January 23 to June 23,1916.

I have several cards published by "Newman", but none linked to London (nor to Sutton Veny).

It was not uncommon for a photographer to visit his local battalion in training. I'm not sure if the 24th had any links with the Coldharbour Lane area? (Though, as we know, as the war progressed the composition of many units became more diffused geographically.)

On 02/08/2021 at 00:57, Margaretnolan said:

Is the name of the camp Helmish?

HELMIEH

Pte Heckworth is Pte Eckworth, AC, 23917. The photo shows him with two wound stripes below a good conduct chevron. He was reported wounded in the Casualty Lists of 25/11/16 and 12/11/17 (actual wounding in each case perhaps 4 weeks earlier).

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

2 hours ago, Moonraker said:

It was not uncommon for a photographer to visit his local battalion in training. I'm not sure if the 24th had any links with the Coldharbour Lane area? 

24th Londons were based at Braganza Street drill hall (Walworth), which is a mile and a half or so north of Coldharbour Lane (Brixton); both are in SE London, though. 

On 24/08/2021 at 18:30, Moonraker said:

Many London Regiment battalions were at Sutton Veny, including the 2/24th from January 23 to June 23,1916.

I have several cards published by "Newman", but none linked to London (nor to Sutton Veny).

It was not uncommon for a photographer to visit his local battalion in training. I'm not sure if the 24th had any links with the Coldharbour Lane area? (Though, as we know, as the war progressed the composition of many units became more diffused geographically.)

On 24/08/2021 at 21:34, Pat Atkins said:

24th Londons were based at Braganza Street drill hall (Walworth), which is a mile and a half or so north of Coldharbour Lane (Brixton); both are in SE London, though. 

Many thanks for the information. 

On 24/08/2021 at 21:34, Pat Atkins said:

Was that one of the company drill stations Pat?  Ray Westlake’s The TF 1914 has the battalion HQ at New Street, Southwark.  That said I know that there were changes of location for London Regiment units stretching back to their linear forebears.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 29/08/2021 at 11:28, FROGSMILE said:

Was that one of the company drill stations Pat?  Ray Westlake’s The TF 1914 has the battalion HQ at New Street, Southwark.  That said I know that there were changes of location for London Regiment units stretching back to their linear forebears.

Good question - I've got it in my notes but alas don't know where from; also another location I think (away from my desk), so a Company drill station might fit. The notes I made related to 23rd Londons, so I fear I wasn't really paying attention... certainly wouldn't presume to contradict RW!

11 minutes ago, Pat Atkins said:

Good question - I've got it in my notes but alas don't know where from; also another location I think (away from my desk), so a Company drill station might fit. The notes I made related to 23rd Londons, so I fear I wasn't really paying attention... certainly wouldn't presume to contradict RW!

RW transcribed from the Annual Return of Territorial Force units 1913-14, Pat.  23rd London’s are listed as BHQ 27, St John’s Hill, Battersea. I’ll have a look later to see if I can find a reference to Braganza Street.  I’m wondering if it might refer back to a pre 1908 Volunteer Battalion.  Some units moved their HQs upon the formation of the London Regiment.

Here’s the answer Pat:

“The building [drill hall] originates from a pair of houses built in what was then known as New Street in 1833 and which were acquired by the 19th Surrey Rifle Volunteer Corps in 1865.  The 19th Surrey Rifle Volunteer Corps evolved to become the 4th Volunteer Battalion, Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) in 1883 and the 24th (County of London) Battalion (The Queen’s) in 1908.  The battalion was mobilised at the drill hall in August 1914 before being deployed to the Western Front.  When the London Regiment was broken up in 1937, the battalion became the 7th (Southwark) Battalion, the Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey). The drill hall, in what was by then known as Braganza Street, was substantially re-built at that time and the enlarged facility was opened by the Duke of Gloucester in 1938.”

Edited by FROGSMILE

Great stuff, thanks Frogsmile - you (and RW) were right, of course. Must correct my notes!

Cheers, Pat

15 minutes ago, Pat Atkins said:

Great stuff, thanks Frogsmile - you (and RW) were right, of course. Must correct my notes!

Cheers, Pat

Not at all Pat, same buildings just a change of street name, and if trying to find the location today your address would be correct.  It’s just a bit clearer now.