The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Postcards

trenchtrotter

T4 welsh with two versions of the bandman's badge, attached images from edwards and langley

t4 welsh bandsmen wm.jpg

IMG_20211016_095843.jpg

IMG_20211016_095907.jpg

41 minutes ago, Jerry B said:

T4 welsh with two versions of the bandman's badge, attached images from edwards and langley

An interesting photo that shows the Austrian style of field service cap for other ranks very well.  Notice how casually it was worn in the field when compared with the smarter appearance that developed for in barracks wear.  Also at the very rear is a soldier who appears to be wearing the rarely seen Welsh Regiment insignia of a simple Prince of Wales’s feathers without title scroll.

Since the excellent book on trade and skill at arms badges was published a metal version of the bandsman’s badge has been seen in collections contrary to what was first thought.

FD76BC49-49E4-4618-8FDB-2EBAA6A756CF.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

I found this framed photograph by “Starr & Rignall. Cambridge & Ely”, showing Royal Artillery Territorials in an Aberystwyth Antique shop today. 

It was behind a dresser, and was really dirty. The backing had come away allowing dust and insects to enter. I had to remove it from the frame to clean the inside of the glass, happily the photograph is unmarked. 
 The name of the building is unreadable, but the poster on the wall reads; “ Preliminary Notice. 1/1st Welsh Division Boxing Tournament. Cambridge. ?6. 10. 1915”

Boer War ribbons on the man left of centre, front row. Efficiency Stars on the Sgt. second from left.

Proficiency Stars and a Boer War? ribbon on the man, rear row, third from left.  
Plenty of trade/appointment badges & Imperial Service Tablets on show. 

477CECD8-D6B9-44A5-B8BE-18141FD1079F.jpeg

4E8FCA85-5866-4FB5-B34B-F8334F8AC906.jpeg

1139F20E-CBE4-485C-81C9-94DC7AF5DB3A.jpeg

4E3A71A8-F372-45FE-9FBD-E2F76ECDDB29.jpeg

DD726CE8-F529-4DD0-8183-D1D8087B1E39.jpeg

FD9F63EC-77D9-416F-8615-883C361639B1.jpeg

Edited by GWF1967

Super picture of a TF Battery with some men wearing imperial service tablets and/or shoulder titles and others not.  The fellow with the medal ribbons is almost certainly a regular and the permanent staff instructor.

Armoured Car and truck mounted searchlight?

There is a visible name plate on the front of the truck, but I'm unable to properly make it out.   It looks like  "Minathens"

Mont. Yeo. (3).jpg

Mont. Yeo. (2).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

Looks like some sort of jamboree.  There’s a band in front and at the rear a party of Boy Scouts and someone dressed as a goose, all being observed by civilians in a stand as part of an audience.  The armoured car has had its rivets painted in a contrasting colour which is a not uncommon practice when attempting to make vehicles look impressive in peacetime conditions.

Afternote.  Looking more carefully I can see that the ‘Armoured Car’ is in fact an ordinary motor car mocked up using painted canvas, so hence the rather distinct ‘rivets’.  I must confess that gave me a sense of deja vu as I was once required to do exactly the same thing and for the same reason by a very eccentric colonel using a land rover and painted plywood.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Think that the truck is a Maudslay, from the radiator shape and profile.

Mike.

affc

22 minutes ago, MikeyH said:

Think that the truck is a Maudslay, from the radiator shape and profile.

Mike.

It's a Tilling-Stevens.     Pete.

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Looks like some sort of jamboree.  There’s a band in front ....

Might be an RM drum & fife/bugle band. The bandsmen in the rear rank appear to be carrying fifes.& a bugle can be Sen by the bandsman with his back to us, behiind the bass drummer.

Edited by RNCVR

7 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Might be an RM drum & fife band. The bandsmen in the rear rank appear to be carrying fifes.

Yes definitely fifes, they have fife cases affixed to the front right of their waistbelts.  I don’t think they are Royal Marines though as they’re wearing frocks without any collar badge.  The khaki drill clothing worn by the vehicle crews indicates a warm weather station and so the Army band are wearing white Wolseley helmets.  They appear to have two piece shoulder titles suggesting perhaps light Infantry.

Edited by FROGSMILE

23 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

affc

It's a Tilling-Stevens.     Pete.

Great stuff. Many thanks Pete. 

On 17/10/2021 at 21:27, FROGSMILE said:

The armoured car has had its rivets painted in a contrasting colour which is a not uncommon practice when attempting to make vehicles look impressive in peacetime conditions.

Thanks for your observations.