Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Transatlantic Spies?

ph0ebus

I have looked up the address on Google Earth. 105 Tadcaster Road still exists, it is directly opposite Tadcaster Crescent but I don't know how to post images from Google Earth.

P.S. Daniel, I think I have got it right this time, you should have the info from Ancestry now, please let me know.

Thanks Kath, thats the one, I got the wrong one at first. A lot of people don't put numbers on their houses.

Hi all...a few things:

I Googlemapped his old 220 City Road address and it is now a custom bicycle frame shop!

See:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=22...sa=N&tab=wl

(his place is to the left, behind the van)

Or:

http://www.wilsoncycles.co.uk/

Looks like they opened in 1948...wonder if the building is pre or post WWII.

Also, I have the map for Crookes Cemetery:

post-32240-1242338911.jpg

Lastly, I passed the burial info to Chris Hobbs (mentioned previously) and he is going to try and visit Crookes Cemetery this weekend to take photos of AEB's grave. Will let you know how things go.

Phil, I still have no messages in Ancestry or email from you...something is awry. If you PM me your email addy I will try reaching you from this end.

-Daniel

Daniel, the buildings in the photo of 220 City road are at least 100 years old. Have you noticed that the web designer for the cycle shop is Tina Bell!

Daniel, the buildings in the photo of 220 City road are at least 100 years old. Have you noticed that the web designer for the cycle shop is Tina Bell!

Phil,

What are the odds of that! I think I am actually going to email her to see if there is any relation. She works for the Sheffield Community Information Project, so she may be local and related to the Bells we have all been talking about.

I got your PM. Email on the way.

You never know.

-Daniel

PS: as an aside, there is an interesting book on Dazzle-Painting availble for sale via Nautiques, here:

http://www.nautiques.net/browse.cfm/4,12252.html

I have bought from him before and had a good experience.

D'oh! I have the budget version of Ancestry and cannot see it. Argh. I will bring the link with me to NYPL next time I go and snag it then.

Other news: no reply from Tina Bell yet, and Duncan Haws book is in the mail to me as we 'speak'...

Thanks,

-Daniel

A bit of 'Dazzle', i picked up a book for 30p the other week at the local library book sale, 'U.S. Warships' of World War 1, by Paul Silverstone, published in 1970, SBN 7110 0095 6

post-17978-1242452910.jpg

post-17978-1242452934.jpg

lots of pics and more with 'Dazzle'.

Dean.

Daniel, Have you been able to access the migration details? These are on 'Findmypast' if you need to access them at NYPL.

I have just had another look at the 1911 census. The two boarders living with AE's family are John Blacktin 67, retired saw factory manager and his wife Elizabeth 64. These must be his wife's Lilians parents.

Sorry to go off at a tangent, but the name Blacktin stood out for me,

G/894 Frederick Blacktin, The Buffs, Killed in action 5/3/16, born and living at Sheffield. With a name like that possible connection to Lilian?

Dean.

Sorry to go off at a tangent, but the name Blacktin stood out for me,

G/894 Frederick Blacktin, The Buffs, Killed in action 5/3/16, born and living at Sheffield. With a name like that possible connection to Lilian?

Dean.

I am going out today but this evening I am going to have a look at the 1871/1881/1891 censuses.

I have looked at the census returns for the Blacktin's. Frederick is not a near relation, there is nothing to suggest that he is even a first cousin. It is quite possible that there is a more distant relationship but nothing showing I'm afraid. It was definately Lilians parents who were living with them in 1911.

Hi Phil, Dean, all...

Yes, Lillian's parents were John Blacktin and Elizabeth (Ward) as per Ancestry. No DOB or DOD on either and no info on any other children besides Lillian, I'm afraid.

I will poke around and see if I can find more on Frederick whilst I wait on my various packages to arrive. :)

-Daniel

Erm, fellas...

What do you make of this?

EDIT:

Dean, I just realized you posted the Blacktin headstone in the Buffs thread. Do you have the details of the inscription? A bit hard to read from here. :)

-Daniel

The Blacktin's:- Father, John b.1844 Mother b.1847, Florence b.1869, Gertrude b.1870, Lilian b.1873, John b.1875. The address in 1881 was 241 Penistone Road, Sheffield. 1891 it was 38 Burgoyne Road, Sheffield. The 1871 census is unreadable and nothing appears for the 1901 census. I have found no connection with the other Blacktins (Joseph ect.)

Hi all,

My sincerest thanks to Mr. Chris Hobbs, who came through with fantastic photos of Albert's grave. I could only smile when I realized that the photo Dean posted of the closeup of Lilian Alberta May's stone was the same stone as AEB's grave stone, just viewed from the side! So, at long last we have found him.

Here is the full inscription as transcribed by Mr. Hobbs:

IN EVER AFFECTIONATE REMEMBRANCE OF

LILIAN ALBERTA MAY

THE DEARLY BELOVED AND ONLY DAUGHTER OF ALBERT EDWARD & LILIAN BELL

WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE SEPT 4TH 1911

AGED 4 YEARS & 8 MONTHS

"A PRICELESS JEWEL IN GODS ETERNAL CROWN"

RESQIESCANT IN PACE

JOHN RICHARD BELL IST PIONEER BATTN AIF

SECOND TWIN SON OF THE ABOVE KILLED IN ACTION FRANCE

MARCH 29TH 1918 AGE 24 YEARS & 8 MONTHS

HE PASSED FROM THE SIGHT OF MAN

BY THE PATH OF DUTY & SELF SACRIFICE

(TO THE RIGHT OF THE PLINTH)

ALSO OF THE AFORESAID

ALBERT EDWARD BELL

WHO DIED MARCH 18TH 1941

AGED 69 YEARS

A DEVOTED HUSBAND & LOVING FATHER

(TO THE LEFT OF THE PLINTH)

ALSO LILIAN

BELOVED WIFE OF ALBERT EDWARD

WHO DIED JUNE 19TH 1965

AGED 92 YEARS

TWO LOVING HEARTS REUNITED

Photo of the grave to follow.

-Daniel

Daniel, great!

I did have a feeling that the headstone pic i took might also be the one you was after, i was only after Great War inscriptions when i took it!. I was also prepared to go up there and have another look, but you had got hold of Chris Hobbs.

Where does that leave us now? What of the Balcktins? I was going to mention the fact i had posted an image of the Blacktins headstone but didn't/ don't know how it fits with all of this. Can we have a write up of what we have? etc, etc ?

Daniel, just seen your 'edit', if you PM me your e-mail addy i can send you original images.

Dean.

Lilian Bell's only brother (John Blacktin) was 26 and unmarried in 1901. He would be almost 40 years of age in 1914 and I can find no evidence of military service. His and Lilians father was also named John. Frederick's fathers name was Joseph, John Blacktin senior did not have a brother of that name. It is possible that he and Joseph were cousins but the records to prove or disprove that are not easily available. If Lilian did have a nephew through her brother that nephew would have been 17 at the most by the end of the war and would be unlikely to have served.

Daniel, great!

I did have a feeling that the headstone pic i took might also be the one you was after, i was only after Great War inscriptions when i took it!. I was also prepared to go up there and have another look, but you had got hold of Chris Hobbs.

Where does that leave us now? What of the Balcktins? I was going to mention the fact i had posted an image of the Blacktins headstone but didn't/ don't know how it fits with all of this. Can we have a write up of what we have? etc, etc ?

Daniel, just seen your 'edit', if you PM me your e-mail addy i can send you original images.

Dean.

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in posting this picture...lost battery power and then was without access until now. This is the view from Albert's side of the stone. Next up is a closer view.

post-32240-1242683932.jpg

-Daniel

Daniel, great!

Dean.

Hi Dean,

Not sure where things are with the Blacktins...what struch me is that I saw that some of the same last names on the gravestone picture you posted for Frederick were the same as in our investigation (i.e., Ward, which was Lillian Blacktin's mother's maiden name), so thought there is likely some familial connection there. As Phil suggested, cousins is a good working theory until we learn otherwise. Untangling that may not be easy. I struck out on Ancestry but I also have not taken a significant amount of time to look into the Blacktin angle, so I may have missed something. What is not helping is with my home version of Ancestry I cannot view original records not located in the US, and that is copmlicating things a bit. Overseas stuff I have to go to NYPL to view and download.

I am hoping I have something in my mail when I get home which may add to the picture, but it may be later this week before I get the various things I requested, including AEB's death notice. I am going to try and summarize the knowns and unknowns (perhaps this evening) and that will help to guide our ongoing lines of inquiry.

Take care,

-Daniel