Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Transatlantic Spies?

ph0ebus

Unfortunately it appears that the boys have been dressed up for the photograph, two are in sailor suits and one is in a kilt!

It may be possible to find out the schools the children attended, they are probably not far from where they lived.

Kath

Albert & John are in morter boards John on left Albert on right

Harold and Lawrence in sailor suits Reg in kilt & George in boater on right top left in boater is Arthur baby is Maurice

Peter

Thanks, Peter.

Phil: "the boys have been dressed up for the photograph".

More disguises?

:D

Kath.

Then who was the newborn baby boy in April 1911? The names Roland R., Victor G. and Ronald A. have all come up. Ronald was soon identified as the son born in 1916 and Roland R,s birth was registered in the second quarter of 1911. There are three possibilities, that the baby died at a very young age, unlikely as he would have been buried with his sister and parents. That he suffered a severe disability, unlikely because the surviving family members would have been aware of him. That his name was not Roland or he was known to the family by a different name.

In Georges obituary (post # 181) it mentions a brother named Graham who cannot be traced, could this be the boy born in 1911? it is possibly Victor G. who we can find no records of.

Phil

I checked the BMD and it lists Victor Graham in 2nd Quarter of 1911 so my source must be incorrect and that would make him the un named baby in 1911 census. Victor Graham went by his 2nd name. I don't know were Roland comes from, I asked Maries father Derick and he does not know of him. Derrick remembers playing with Ron as a child as he was only 5 years younger

Name: Victor G Bell

Year of Registration: 1911

Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun

District: Ecclesall Bierlow

County: Derbyshire, Yorkshire - West Riding

hope this clears it up

Peter

Volume: 9c

Page: 403 (click to see others on page)

I can see why I never found him, Derbyshire and Yorkshire are two different counties! Bell is a common surname in Sheffield and this must be another family who registered a son in the same quarter.

Daniel, there is another thread current on GWF that is relevant to AEB's being a shell inspector.

Hi all,

Still at the library, but may be back in the swing of things tonight or tomorrow. A quick note: got my book (Merchant Ships: Anchor Line, by Duncan Haws) and gave it a good read. No new light to shed on our line of inquiry, I'm afraid. The only thing of note was that with the acquisition of Anchor Line by Cunard in 1911 we see the tweaking of the ships' livery to bring them into line with Cunard. So, we have California's paint scheme being changed in 1911, but nothing else to speak of later on through the end of the war.

Re: Victor Graham, I thought that the going by his middle name was a possibility some time ago (and I believe suggested as much a few tabs back in the thread) , and it appears to have borne fruit. :)

Phil, I will give the shell inspection thread a thorough read and see what we can get from it. From my quick skim it seems it was surely a needed function, what with fuses falling out in mid-air and such!

Anyhoo, home for dinner, and everyone cross your fingers and wish me luck, as I am firing up 'Sparky' tonight, and with luck I will be back on line shortly thereafter.

Take care,

-Daniel

Hi all,

Computer is back and working properly. Happy to be back.

Take care,

-Daniel

Hi all,

As promised, here is the picture taken of the Bell Family stone, as per Angela Nunn, of Sheffield Records Online:

post-32240-1244257185.jpg

I am still reconfiguring my machine here but will be putting more stuff up as I make headway. Peter, I tried to PM you but your messenger feature is either turned off or not working. Let me know if you want me to send you regular size pics of the Bell stone, and any other tidbits related to Albert.

Take care,

-Daniel

Daniel, Peter has to have one more post before you can PM him. Got to go , I am off to Holland shortly.

I thought Peter had 9 posts allready. Once you have made 10 posts you can PM to your hearts content.

Daniel, Peter has to have one more post before you can PM him. Got to go , I am off to Holland shortly.

Phil,

Enjoy your trip!!

As promised, here is AEB's death notice from the Sheffield Star dated Wed 19 March 1941:

post-32240-1244343540.jpg

-Daniel

Daniel, yes thanks I did enjoy my trip. Peter, do you have any more knowledge of Reginald's RAF service? I have tried looking for an MIC but without any luck. Do you know of anything of the squadrons he may have served with, his rank and any medals he was awarded? We have details of his brothers service and it would help us complete the picture.

105 Tadcaster Road.

Lilian Bell is there in the 1951 Kelly's Directory.

Kath.

Kath

I have her address as 124 Tadcaster Road at har death on 19th June 1965

Phil

will have a real good look around to see what I can come up with re Reg

Peter

Peter,

I saw a Ronald Bell at 124 Tadcaster Road in the 1965 Kelly's Directory.

I wondered if he was the son.

Kath.

Thank you Peter, I will ask the RAF museum at Hendon if they hold any records. I have identified a Sergeant R. Bell of 219 Squadron who flew Spitfires in the Battle of Britain. Could this be Reginald?

219 was formed in August 1918 and flew DH9's and Sopwith Camels and operated from Manston in Kent until disbanded on 7th April 1919. During WW2 it flew intruder missions over France at the time of D-Day using Mosquito's.

Phil

from what I can remember Reg said that he did not fly fighters in WW2 but bombers and Transports he may have been deemed to old for fighter operations? Although the newspaper article said he flew Spitfires and Mosquitos.

Peter

Here is a pic of Reg & George from a newspaper clip in 1982

Still searching for Regs military info

Hi Peter,

The article and pictures are great! I got your PM and will be sending you some pics shortly.

As an aside, I think I just tracked down some long-lost cousins of mine right here in New York! I am going to outreach to them...wish me luck!

Take care,

-Daniel

Peter, I have been making enquiries on another forum without much luck. I will put down the Spitfire and Mosquito to journalistic licence. If you know what rank he held and what medals he was awarded it would help.

Hi all,

The 'Defective Shells' thread has shed a little light on just how necessary a function Albert played in the war. Have a quick look at this thread from 2006, which I found quite illuminating:

I will also try and procure copies of the two books referenced therein ('The History of the Ministry of Munitions' and 'The Grand Old Lady of No Man's Land: The Vickers Machinegun'‎ ).

Take care,

-Daniel