Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maldon (Essex) casualties

stephen p nunn

Another bit in the local press today about the book. It has now sold 800 copies since the launch in November. This should ensure production costs are covered and a surplus is generated to allow the Maldon Archaeological and Historical Group to further their research work. Paper talks about the objectives for 2010 being the re-instatement of the Avenue of Remembrance and the adding of names to the War Memorial.

Really pleased.

SPN

Maldon

So you should be. Well done Maldon. Only goes to show the quality of your work, and all your hard work is paying off.

Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike. Just celebrating with a pint!

Cheers.

SPN

Maldon

Good news Maldon.

You are now known as an author in Who's Who.

Strength to yer elbow,

Phil

Hey Maldon, only just seen this. Well done mate!! :thumbsup: It is so good to see someone as dedicated to a cause as you are having some recognition of your efforts. Really pleased!!

Jim

Thanks Jim, Phil and Mike. It's words of support like this that have made it all possible. Will keep you posted re. further developments.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Evening all. Another bit in the local paper today - front page and page 3 (don't do the jokes!). Just returned from a Town Council meeting about adding the missing names to the Town Memorial (or in the vicinity of it I should say). Most (Town Council, British Legion, Rotary) seem really keen and positive about doing that and about raising the money. Bit of a problem with our District Council friends about planning and Listed Buildings consent! Hopefully we will get through that and be able to remember these brave Maldon and Heybridge lads.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 1 month later...

Bit in the local paper again this week updating the community re. work to add the missing names to the Town Memorial. Basically the local District Council "conservation" officers are still arguing about it. Everyone else seems keen. There is no question about interfering with the existing memorial, simply adding a ground level plaque nearby - strange times when council officers are able to block the popular remembrance of our brave lads from the Great War. Still, we press on.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 1 month later...

I attended a meeting of the Maldon Town Memorial working group this afternoon. The Royal British Legion, Town Council and Rotary are represented. Planning permission is going in shortly to seek approval to add the missing names to the fencing adjacent to the memorial. All being well that should be approved then we are starting a public subscription to raise money for the work.

Watch this space!

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Thanks for the update Maldon,

Here's hoping the planning permission gets approved!

All the best

Steve

Thanks for the update Maldon,

Here's hoping the planning permission gets approved!

All the best

Steve

Many thanks for your good wishes and support Steve.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 2 weeks later...

Was pleased to give a presentation to the Essex Branch of the WFA about the Maldon research on Friday just gone. Seemed to be well received and it is good to spread the word about the stories behind the brave Maldon and Heybridge lads. (I mentioned the support from the Forum as I always do).

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 1 month later...

Dear all,

Things are moving on a pace regarding the Maldon project:

1). About 1000 copies of the book have been sold since the launch in November - all proceeds to the local history group and War Memorial project.

2). A War Memorial Appeal has been set up and thousands of letters are to be sent to residents, businesses and organisations asking for donations to have the memorial cleaned and the missing names added alongside. Anyone who wants to donate is asked to send cheques to The Rotary Club of Maldon War Memorial Appeal c/o Maldon Town Council, Town Hall, Market Hill, Maldon. CM9 4RL. (To find out more call 01621-857373). The local WFA Branch is behind the scheme.

3). As part of the fund raising a special event is planned as part of the 3rd Maldon Festival of Arts. It is on Friday, June 18th (8pm) at St. Mary's Church, Maldon. It will be an evening of readings from the book (by an anxious me), war poetry read by the actor Barrie Jaimeson, musical settings (including Butterworth's 'A Shropshire Lad') performed by Colin Baldy and Christopher Weston. This promises to be a truly moving evening about Maldon's experience of the First World War. Tickets are available from Maldon Tourist Information Centre (01621-856503). If any of you come then please make yourself known to me - if only to give me some moral support!

All very exciting stuff - thanks to Forum Pals for all your support.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon.

• 4 months later...

Things are going well with the Missing Names Maldon War Memorial Fund. We are at about £4,000 now thanks to the WFA and RBL. Lots of things planned in town over the Remembrance week, including another couple of talks about the Maldon Lads and a demonstration of GW objects at the military museum.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Look at 'Special Events' section on:

http://www.google.co...P8kIOe0l9GeWveQ

And 12th and 14th November in the following Diary of Events:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aboutmyarea.co.uk%2FEssex%2FMaldon%2FCM9%2FNews%2FWhats-On%2F123359-NOVEMBER-EVENTS-LIST-2010&ei=l_jKTLGFIY2OjAfgp8XvDw&usg=AFQjCNF7q4L0bw0GOXPhi5igRRnlY0oyLA

Links now work at bottom of previous post.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 2 weeks later...

Gave the 'Maldon, Heybridge and the Great War' presentation in St. Mary's Church, Maldon, last night. There were six scenes. I read six sections from the book. Actor, Barrie Jaimeson, read items of war poetry. Baritone, Colin Baldy, sang; Rose of England, Keep the home fires burning, Loveliest of Trees, When I was One and Twenty, Look not in my eyes, Think no more lad, The lads in their hundreds, Is my team still ploughing and Spring sorrow. Christopher Weston was on piano and special lighting focused on the church Roll of Honour and memorial window. The Maldon Town Mayor and Mayoress were there, along with the Chairman of Heybridge Parish Council. There were also lots of families present who are linked to some of the casualties. A nerve racking night but a very rewarding one. Glad it is over! Fund for the memorial now stands at £5k. Giving the Military Museum presentation on Sunday night and another to the Burnham History Group on Monday night!

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Service went well at the Maldon Memorial today. Hopefully the missing names will be there this time next year. Am giving another presentation tonight at the Combined Military Services Museum. As well as words, Great War items from the collection will be on display. Hope my voice holds out as this is presentation number three since Tuesday and have another one at Burnham tomorrow!

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Service went well at the Maldon Memorial today. Hopefully the missing names will be there this time next year. Am giving another presentation tonight at the Combined Military Services Museum. As well as words, Great War items from the collection will be on display. Hope my voice holds out as this is presentation number three since Tuesday and have another one at Burnham tomorrow!

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Talk went well at the Military Museum tonight. Made even more special by the presentation of a full original Great War uniform, kit and smle!!

Burnham tomorrow night!

Phew!!

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Good luck tomorrow night in Burnham-on-Crotch........there be dragons!

Hope the voice holds out......

Delighted that the money is still rolling in.

Bruce

Good luck tomorrow night in Burnham-on-Crotch........there be dragons!

Hope the voice holds out......

Delighted that the money is still rolling in.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce - just got home from Burnham. Good turn out - about 50 people. Did my bit on the Maldon casualties again. Bit of a rest now until the final talk of 2010 in December.

Best wishes.

SPN

Maldon

• 2 weeks later...

Things continue to move forward with the appeal for monies to add 102 missing names to the town’s war memorial and donations are still coming in. It is likely that the two additional bronze plaques detailing Maldon’s “forgotten” men of the Great War will be cast in Australia. Ironically enough one of the “missing” names is that of John Ramsey SYMON. John was born in Maldon and lived with his wife, Rosa, at 27 Mount Pleasant. Before the war he was a storeman but went out to Australia to find his fortune. With the outbreak of the war he enlisted at Sydney and served as a Driver with the 13th Battery of the Australian Field Artillery! He was killed on the 28/5/1918, aged 36.

In addition, representations are still being made to restore and re-plant the Avenue of Remembrance on the Promenade.

We will get there!

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Hia Maldon,I picked up your book while visiting Maldon(my sister in law lives near),now ime interested in one of the soldiers mentioned as he may be related to my stepfather Arthur Alfred Robotham,I was wondering if you had got any info on him,also I dont think he had any links to Maldon.Garry

Hia Maldon,I picked up your book while visiting Maldon(my sister in law lives near),now ime interested in one of the soldiers mentioned as he may be related to my stepfather Arthur Alfred Robotham,I was wondering if you had got any info on him,also I dont think he had any links to Maldon.Garry

Thanks Gary. Hope you like the book. Robotham is on the St. Mary's plaque but not on the main Town memorial. He was in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. They were stationed in Maldon at some stage so that could be the link? He was a Birmingham man.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Thanks Gary. Hope you like the book. Robotham is on the St. Mary's plaque but not on the main Town memorial. He was in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. They were stationed in Maldon at some stage so that could be the link? He was a Birmingham man.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

yes I enjoyed the book,thats the info I have on him,just wondered if you had more