Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maldon (Essex) casualties

stephen p nunn

• 1 month later...

Hello friends - Maldon here. After a lot of hard work and various negotiations, I am pleased to report that the first proof of 'Maldon, Heybridge and the Great War (1914-1918)' is out and is being proof read. The plan is to launch it this Armistice Day. Thanks again for all your support. Hopefully this will put on record (for the first time ever) the total roll call of the 248 Maldon and Heybridge men who made the ultimate sacrifice (beyond the 146 on the town memorial). In addition there will be a general introduction to the Great War; Maldon in 1914; the Zeppelin raid on the town; the RFC at Goldhanger; the navy at Osea; the impact on local families; the various memorials and Rolls of Honour. Its been a hard slog but I think the end result will be worth it - not least for the memory of those brave lads.

All the best.

Maldon.

Good News Maldon. You have set a fine example to any researcher. I hope a copy can be obtained by post.

Cheers for now,

Phil.

Thanks Phil and Mike - you two in particular did an awful lot to make it happen. A big thank you to you both from Maldon.

• 2 months later...

Dear Chums,

I am still around and the project is nearlly there. The book (over 100 pages) is now with the printer. It has a colour cover and sepia illustrations inside (many pictures published for the very first time). The local Archaeological & Historical Group have put the cash up to publish it and they will receive all of the income to further their research (I just want to see it in print and to bring all those names back to the fore). The contents include:

Maldon at the eve of the war in 1914.

Zeppelin raid on the town in 1915.

RFC at Goldhanger from 1916.

Navy at Osea Island from 1918.

The impact on families at both ends of the social spectrum.

The memorials in town.

And then a description of the 248 men that made the ultimate sacrifice (there are only 146 on the main memorial).

An analysis follows by regiment, rank, age, peacetime occupation, home address, date of death, campaign, awards, place of commemoration.

There is bibliography and web links at the end.

Acknowlegements include my mates on the forum.

It will be £8.95 and (all being well) launched on Remembrance Sunday (8/11/09) at the Moot Hall in town.

Bit stressed at the moment as it is still going through the final proof stage but all should be well. Have had a good response from the local media about remembering our brave lads but mixed support from local shops willing to sell it! WH Smith for example want a 55% cut which means the group would lose 78p a copy!

All the best.

SPN

Maldon

Well done Maldon. Maybe WH Smith would change their mind if there were some adverse local publicity ;) Maybe worth pointing out to them, the benefit of being seen to help. Doesn't seem worth losing any goodwill for such a paltry sum?

Cheers Mike

Well done Maldon. Maybe WH Smith would change their mind if there were some adverse local publicity ;) Maybe worth pointing out to them, the benefit of being seen to help. Doesn't seem worth losing any goodwill for such a paltry sum?

Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike - you have always been a good mate and support. I am really cross about WH Smith in the context of the local sacrifice and their lack of support after all these years. Anyone on the forum have any links to their management?

SPN

Maldon.

Don't have a link to the management, but it may well be worth having a heart to heart with the local manager. I'm sure when what you have just posted, is pointed out, they will think again. The decision may well be out of his hands, but he may be able to do something. Nobody wants bad publicity.

Cheers Mike

Don't have a link to the management, but it may well be worth having a heart to heart with the local manager. I'm sure when what you have just posted, is pointed out, they will think again. The decision may well be out of his hands, but he may be able to do something. Nobody wants bad publicity.

Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike - good advice as ever. Come what may I will put 100% effort into pushing the book locally to get these lads remembered.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Gave the final go ahead to the printer this afternoon. 1000 copies coming off the press now. All looks set for delivery in time for the 8/11/09 launch.

Phew!

SPN

Maldon.

• 2 weeks later...

Well friends at long last it's done! The book - 'Maldon, Heybridge and the Great War (1914-1918)' was delivered today and will be distributed to 14 outlets in town from tomorrow (including W.H. Smith).

It tells the story of how one riverside town responded to the war - the town structure in 1914; A Zeppelin raid in 1915; the RFC (37 HD Squadron) at Goldhanger from 1916; the navy at Osea Island (with CMBs) from 1918; the impact on local families at both ends ofthe social spectrum (including the Granthams at Beeleigh Abbey and the Last brothers of Gate Street. Most importantly (for the very first time) it contains a roll call of the 248 local men who were killed (there are only 146 on the town memorial). An analysis by regiment, rank, awards/decorations, home addresses, peace time occupations, dates of death, ages of death, campaign and places of commemoration follow. There is then a bibliography of sources and web links.

It costs £8.95 and all proceeds go to the Maldon Archaeological & Historical Group (a registered charity).

It can be obtained from the group direct at Unit 2, Brickhouse Community Centre, Poulton Close, Maldon, Essex. CM9 6DE. You can email them at digup@smartemail.co.uk

If you feel like supporting the project and purchasing a copy then that would be great for the town, the group, but most importantly, for the memory of those brave Maldon and Heybridge lads.

Thanks all for your support - I can honestly say I wouldn't have made it without you.

SPN

Maldon

Well done Maldon, I will be sending for one, and look forward to reading it.

So you got W H Smith in the end?

Cheers Mike

Thanks for your support Mike - now and in the past. You were a key player in all of this and I hope you like the end result. Yes, WH Smith saw sense in the end!

Best regards as ever.

Stephen.

Great News, Maldon. Will be ordering a copy asap. You have set a superb example over the last 9 months on this forum, and all your earlier research too.

Cheers for now,

Phil.

Quick reponse to my e-mail sent this morning.. :D

Thank you for your enquiry.

The books have just been delivered to us from the printers.

We need first to get one packed and weighed so we can access

the correct postage and packing charge. This will be done today (29th) and

I will email you as soon as possible.

If you live in the Maldon area we could probable deliver a book to you.

Wen

we can post a copy of the new book Maldon, Heybridge and the Great War in a

padded envelope (first class post) for the amount of £10.95 (£8.95 for the

book and £2.00 for postage and packing). If you would send us a cheque for

£10.95 the book will be sent to you. Please send your cheque to:

MAHG, Unit 2, Brickhouse Farm Community Centre, Poulton Close, MALDON,

Essex, CM9 6DE.

Shall be ordering a copy :D My family lived at Heybridge Hall in the 1800's, also some at Goldhanger and some at Beeleigh so shall be interested to have a read of this..

Thanks Maldon for all the effort you have put into this project...

Wen

Great News, Maldon. Will be ordering a copy asap. You have set a superb example over the last 9 months on this forum, and all your earlier research too.

Cheers for now,

Phil.

Thanks Phil - you have been a great support throughout. The work has taken 30 years research on and off but the last 9 months on the forum have been particularly helpfull. Let me know what you think of the end result.

Best regards.

Stephen.

we can post a copy of the new book Maldon, Heybridge and the Great War in a

padded envelope (first class post) for the amount of £10.95 (£8.95 for the

book and £2.00 for postage and packing). If you would send us a cheque for

£10.95 the book will be sent to you. Please send your cheque to:

MAHG, Unit 2, Brickhouse Farm Community Centre, Poulton Close, MALDON,

Essex, CM9 6DE.

Shall be ordering a copy :D My family lived at Heybridge Hall in the 1800's, also some at Goldhanger and some at Beeleigh so shall be interested to have a read of this..

Thanks Maldon for all the effort you have put into this project...

Wen

Thanks Wen - fascinating. What was their surname?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon.

Hi Maldon

Their surname was Francis.... Robert Francis my Gtx??? was certainly living at Heybridge Hall in 1801...they were also living at Heybridge in the 1600's (Maldon Court Rolls) Francis's were also living in Goldhanger, 2 sisters Charlotte & Ellen Francis had Bonds/Bounds farm in Fish Street Goldhanger, lots of Francis buried at Goldhanger. Anna a sister of my Gt? Grandfather Francis married an Arthur Ratcliff who lived at "Woodlands" Woodham Walter, I believe they lived at Beeleigh at some point. Its all written down and neatly filed away for my kids to either throw away or keep when I'm gone :D

Wen

Hi Maldon

Their surname was Francis.... Robert Francis my Gtx??? was certainly living at Heybridge Hall in 1801...they were also living at Heybridge in the 1600's (Maldon Court Rolls) Francis's were also living in Goldhanger, 2 sisters Charlotte & Ellen Francis had Bonds/Bounds farm in Fish Street Goldhanger, lots of Francis buried at Goldhanger. Anna a sister of my Gt? Grandfather Francis married an Arthur Ratcliff who lived at "Woodlands" Woodham Walter, I believe they lived at Beeleigh at some point. Its all written down and neatly filed away for my kids to either throw away or keep when I'm gone :D

Wen

Thanks Wen. Ratcliff is a famous local name and there is a link between the Francis family and Cobey (of Cateau fame) in the book. I hope you enjoy the book and thanks for posting the p&p details.

Bestwishes.

SPN

Maldon

Well friends at long last it's done! The book - 'Maldon, Heybridge and the Great War (1914-1918)' was delivered today and will be distributed to 14 outlets in town from tomorrow (including W.H. Smith).

It tells the story of how one riverside town responded to the war - the town structure in 1914; A Zeppelin raid in 1915; the RFC (37 HD Squadron) at Goldhanger from 1916; the navy at Osea Island (with CMBs) from 1918; the impact on local families at both ends ofthe social spectrum (including the Granthams at Beeleigh Abbey and the Last brothers of Gate Street. Most importantly (for the very first time) it contains a roll call of the 248 local men who were killed (there are only 146 on the town memorial). An analysis by regiment, rank, awards/decorations, home addresses, peace time occupations, dates of death, ages of death, campaign and places of commemoration follow. There is then a bibliography of sources and web links.

It costs £8.95 and all proceeds go to the Maldon Archaeological & Historical Group (a registered charity).

It can be obtained from the group direct at Unit 2, Brickhouse Community Centre, Poulton Close, Maldon, Essex. CM9 6DE. You can email them at digup@smartemail.co.uk

If you feel like supporting the project and purchasing a copy then that would be great for the town, the group, but most importantly, for the memory of those brave Maldon and Heybridge lads.

Thanks all for your support - I can honestly say I wouldn't have made it without you.

SPN

Maldon

Book was selling well from the local shops yesterday. Two newspapers (one local to the district the other county wide) want to do features in time for next Sunday. The focus will be on the Maldon and Heybridge casualties, names missing from the main town memorial and the state of the forgotten trees in the Avenue of Remembrance. They seem keen to get some names added and to do some replanting with the trees and put some plaques back. Glad the book has set things off to help the current generation remember our brave local men!

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Maldon District Council apparently released a statement to the press today in response to a paragraph in my book about how the Avenue of Remembrance is now overlooked, forgotten and some trees having been removed. They are keen to talk about reinstating the avenue. I am glad some good is coming out of the work in a positive sense for the memory of our brave lads.

SPN

Maldon

Another local paper has now picked up on the book and have started another campaign to get the lost names put on the town memorial.

SPN

Maldon