Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maldon (Essex) casualties

stephen p nunn

Thanks for posting the cutting Nigel. Not my words and not entirely accurate re. Ben Cobey but it gets the message across.

All the best.

SPN

Maldon

Yes, thanks Nigel.

And well done again Steve.

Susan

Yes, thanks Nigel.

And well done again Steve.

Susan

Many thanks for your continued support Susan.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Just been to a meeting of the War Memorial Working Group. There was a real buzz in the meeting about the plaques finally being in town and the interest from the national media. We are just £490 short in relation to paying for all the work but will have a last push to raise the money. The unveiling ceremony is being planned and will involve the RBL, the Lord Lieutenant, bands, cadet corps, the mayor etc. There will be an open invitation to people from the town and beyond (and you) to attend and I know that some relatives of the lads will also be there - not least Driver Ben Cobey's family. There will be wreath laying and a Last Post. I also feel really honoured to have been asked to say a few words about the research and about the names. Date still to be confirmed but watch this space.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon.

Loads of press coverage again this week. The ceremony is to take place on the afternoon of Sunday June 12th. It will be a military drumhead service with the laying of a large wreath and individual poppies to the names. Guests will include the MP, Lord Lieutenant, WFA, RBL, Cadet Corps, bands, Ben Cobey's family and an open invitation to everyone who is interested. The High Street will be closed for 90 minutes. Mind blowing!

SPN

Maldon

Again, well done Maldon, that's fantastic. Am sure it will be quite an emotional day. Just think, in a hundred years time, someone will be looking back at some old, scratched footage of the event. You're making history mate :thumbsup:

Mike

Again, well done Maldon, that's fantastic. Am sure it will be quite an emotional day. Just think, in a hundred years time, someone will be looking back at some old, scratched footage of the event. You're making history mate :thumbsup:

Mike

Thanks Mike. The story is a big feature in today's Essex Chronicle - really pushing ahead now.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Well done Steve.

• 1 month later...

It's all on for the afternoon of the 12th June 2011. The High Street will be closed and the Act of Dedication will be as follows:

Parade Marshal brings Parade to Attention.

Welcome from Chairman of War Memorial working party.

History by yours truly.

Rotary's role by Chairman of Rotary.

Parade Marshal brings Parade to Attention.

Wreath Laying.

Words from Chairman of District Council.

Bidding prayer by vicar.

Act of Homage by Mayor.

Response by Congregation.

Last Post by lad from local school.

Two Minute Silence.

The Kohima by old resident.

Reveille by lad from local school.

Prayer and Act of Commitment by vicar.

Response from Congregation.

Parade Marshal bring Parade to ease.

More wreaths.

Blessing.

End.

I need to put my speach together soon - very stressful but so pleased we have got there!

Be great to see some GWF pals there.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Well done Maldon, what a fine effort. Good luck with the speech. Any chance of a U-tube video?

Mike

Thanks Mike - good to hear from you. The technical stuff is beyond me mate. Haven't got a video recorder or would know how to do that stuff. I am still a pen and paper man!! I hope someone might be there who will record it.

Best regards.

S.

Have just produced a first draft of the things I need to say - not easy and stressful but looking forward to doing it on the 12th.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon.

Fantastic stuff Steve. Cannot wait. Do you know exact times yet Steve. (and it is Maldon High Street? - sorry a bit thick at the moment)

Well done again Steve.

Susan.

Thanks Sue - yes at the memorial outside All saints Church at the top of the High Street. Road closed from 1.30ish. Service from 2.30. Be good to see you there.

Regards.

S.

Great Stuff.

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

Signs are up for next Sunday's closure of the High Street. Have finished putting together my few words and meal booked for the visiting relations of Ben Cobey (of Le Cateau fame).

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Just drove home via the War Memorial - they are installing the plaques! Counting down to Sunday now. I will personally be quite sad when this thread ends but it has a good run and loads of hits from you all and some fantastic responses.

Thanks all.

SPN

Maldon

Great stuff. Didn't realise how close I was on my visit to Boreham last Bank Holiday weekend, but it was all very rushed and I couldn't have fitted anything else in. Next time I stay with that cousin, I'll make sure I get over and have a look.

Keep up the good work!

Good luck, I hope it goes well for you

Thanks for your support Garry.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Job done - plaques in place and duly dedicated. Great service and only a little bit of rain! Thanks all for your support and your help in making this happen. I will now change my GWF profile and hope that this thread will continue anyway.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Thanks mates - I feel a bit numb this morning but really pleased it has been concluded.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 5 months later...

Dear all,

Hope you all got on OK today at your respective Remembrance Day services. The Maldon event went very well and it was the first one with all the names/the additional plaques in place and my first time robed as a town councillor. Very proud and glad that all 248 Maldon and Heybridge brave lads are now remembered.

Thanks again to all Forum Pals who made that happen.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon