Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maldon (Essex) casualties

stephen p nunn

The local press ran a front page feature this week about the forgotten Avenue of Remembrance on Maldon's Promanade. I have been campaigning to have it recognised again for years. Having succeeded with the plaques on the War Memorial, perhaps we might also be victorious in relation to the Avenue after all.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

The Promenade’s Avenue of Remembrance originally consisted of 180 numbered trees. It was dedicated as late as 27/11/1935 by the Lord Lieutenant of Essex, Brigader-General Sir Richard Colvin, KCB, and Canon I.L. Seymour, the Vicar of All Saints. At the time it was described by the local branch of the British Legion as “the biggest thing that the ex-Service men in this town have ever attempted”. It was certainly a unique ceremony with the King’s representative, the Lord Lieutenant, placing the first tree, followed by the Mayor who positioned another on behalf of the borough. A signal was then given and the friends and relatives of each of the fallen simultaneously planted the avenue of chestnuts. Two buglers from the 2nd Somersets, stationed at Colchester, sounded the general salute and then the Last Post. It was said that the trees would act as “a remembrance for many centuries to come, to be cherished and cared for by the townspeople and guarded with loving care”. Sadly that has not turned out to be the case. Whilst there is a relatively new “avenue” elsewhere on the Promenade to the fallen of the Second World War, the original Great War trees are largely forgotten, passed by unnoticed and are now unmarked. Some have even had to be removed because of disease. The fate of those trees seems, in some ironic way, to mirror the story of Maldon’s fallen. It is hoped that we can correct things and ensure that their sacrifice was not in vain, that these important locals are remembered as more than just names.

Just met the press down on Maldon's Promenade. They are keen to support the campaign to have the Avenue of Remembrance re-dedicated. Watch this space!

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Big feature in local press today about the Avenue of Remembrance. A mock up has been made of a plaque and there will be a re-dedication later this year. Looks like this one will be achieved as well and we can again remember the brave lads of Maldon and Heybridge when we visit the Promenade.

Good news.

Best wishes.

SPN

Maldon

Latest press strap line:

A Maldon grandfather has been left “really upset” to discover 180 memorial plaques to Great War heroes have vanished.

Colin Pitt, 76, of Jersey Road, Maldon, has returned to his home town after 40 years to find the plaques he used to visit with his grandfather in Maldon

have apparently been stolen.

Maldon historian and deputy mayor Stephen Nunn has long been campaigning for Maldon District Council to replace the Avenue of Remembrance plaques.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Lots of public interest developing in relation to the Avenue of Remembrance. Everyone seems really keen to have it recognised and re-dedicated. Time to once again remember 180 brave Maldon and Heybridge lads.

SPN

Maldon

Well done, all you're hard work's paying off. :thumbsup:

Mike

Thanks Mike - lovely to hear from you. You did an awful lot to keep me going on this in the early stages so thanks for your continued support.

All the best.

Stephen.

• 2 weeks later...

Maldon District Council have now agreed to re-instate the Avenue of Remembrance, have a plaque installed and have a re-dedication ceremony. Looks like we are there.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Well done Maldon. I think you can feel very proud of your efforts. Good man.

Mike

Many thanks Mike. Will keep you and other GWF friends posted re. further developments.

Best regards.

Stephen.

• 3 weeks later...

Press release from Maldon District Council:

On Saturday 24 November at 11am the rededication of 180 trees, originally planted in 1935 in Promenade Park to mark the Great War, will take place.

On Saturday 24th November at 11am the Lord Lieutenant of Essex, Lord Petre together with the Chairman of Maldon District Council, Cllr David Williams, will rededicate 180 trees planted originally in 1935 in Promenade Park, Maldon to mark the Great War.

During the rededication three trees will be planted and a new memorial board will be unveiled informing visitors of the significance of the trees within the Promenade Park.

Each of the 180 trees was specifically dedicated to a soldier lost in the war. In 1935 family members simultaneously planted the trees as part of the original ceremony.

Cllr Bob Boyce CC, Leader of Maldon District Council, said; "I am delighted that as stated in my Leader's speech in July of this year and with the help of local historian Stephen Nunn, we are now able to rededicate this avenue of trees. I hope that this avenue will be a poignant reminder and a lasting memory, for those who made the ultimate sacrifice and lost their lives in the Great War.

Fantastic turn out at the Remembrance service at Maldon today - biggest crowd ever. I was honoured to lay a wreath to a local man who was awarded a VC (Pre-GW) but my thoughts were with him and all the brave lads of Maldon and Heybridge who were killed in the conflict of 1914-18. Off to RFC Station Stow Maries now for their ceremony.

Best wishes

SPN

Maldon

• 2 weeks later...

Avenue of Remembrance was re-dedicated yesterday. Some new trees and an interpretation board listing 180 fallen of the Great War. Job done!

SPN

Maldon

• 3 months later...

Have just this minute returned from a morning in Maldon(shopping with her the boss!). Could'nt help noticing the impressive War Memorial. There is one name on the adjacent plaque that intersts me Edward Payne who served with Essex Reg first and then the KRRC. Have you any information on the man? Best regards Peter19

From Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919

Name: Edward PAYNE

Birthplace: Bloomfield, Essex

Enlisted: Maldon, Essex

Regiment, Corps etc.: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Battalion etc.: 7th Battalion.

Number: A/200913

Date died: 21 March 1918

How died: Died of wounds

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Supplementary Notes: FORMERLY 5924, ESSEX REGT.

From the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

PAYNE, E

Service No: A/200913

Date of Death: 21/03/1918

Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps 7th Bn.

Grave Reference: British. B. 12.

Cemetery: RIBEMONT COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, AISNE

Additional Information: Son of John and Sarah Payne, of Heybridge, Essex; husband of Mrs. Grace Payne, of 3, Council Bungalows, Hayleigh, Woodham Mortimer, Maldon, Essex.

From Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919

Name: Edward PAYNE

Birthplace: Bloomfield, Essex

Enlisted: Maldon, Essex

Regiment, Corps etc.: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Battalion etc.: 7th Battalion.

Number: A/200913

Date died: 21 March 1918

How died: Died of wounds

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Supplementary Notes: FORMERLY 5924, ESSEX REGT.

From the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

PAYNE, E

Service No: A/200913

Date of Death: 21/03/1918

Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps 7th Bn.

Grave Reference: British. B. 12.

Cemetery: RIBEMONT COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, AISNE

Additional Information: Son of John and Sarah Payne, of Heybridge, Essex; husband of Mrs. Grace Payne, of 3, Council Bungalows, Hayleigh, Woodham Mortimer, Maldon, Essex.

Yes indeed and is on the Heybridge Memorial as well and has a tree in the newly re-instated Avenue of Remembrance on the Promenade. Father had a shop.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

............. and has a tree in the newly re-instated Avenue of Remembrance on the Promenade.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

An excellent achievement Maldon.

I am a recent recruit to the Forum and have been very interested in this Maldon thread. So much so that I have just been over to Maldon to see the additions to the War Memorial. Well done Mr Nunn. I have just taken your book out from the library, it's a great read. I have a small interest in a man Albert John Stevens died 2/11/17 with the Essex Reg. His parents address is given as Hazleigh Chelmsford which I take to be Hazeleigh near Maldon. Have I got the wrong address and if not, would'nt he qualify for inclusion on the Maldon emorial?

regards peter19

Thanks regarding Edward Payne - I have been to Maldon a few times and had no trouble finding the war memorial. I'm not sure where the avenue of remembrance is? When you say the promenade, do you mean the long curved walk along the river bank from the barge moorings along to the Viking statue ? And are the tree's named or numbered . If numbered how would I identify the tree for Edward payne

Thanks regarding Edward Payne - I have been to Maldon a few times and had no trouble finding the war memorial. I'm not sure where the avenue of remembrance is? When you say the promenade, do you mean the long curved walk along the river bank from the barge moorings along to the Viking statue ? And are the tree's named or numbered . If numbered how would I identify the tree for Edward payne

Hi - go to the main gate to the Promenade. Walk through the car entrance and dead ahead of you at the top of the Avenue (over to the right hand corner) you will find a new display board.

Best wishes.

SPN

Maldon

I am a recent recruit to the Forum and have been very interested in this Maldon thread. So much so that I have just been over to Maldon to see the additions to the War Memorial. Well done Mr Nunn. I have just taken your book out from the library, it's a great read. I have a small interest in a man Albert John Stevens died 2/11/17 with the Essex Reg. His parents address is given as Hazleigh Chelmsford which I take to be Hazeleigh near Maldon. Have I got the wrong address and if not, would'nt he qualify for inclusion on the Maldon emorial?

regards peter19

Hi - no only those with links to the town of Maldon and/or Heybridge. Hazeleigh is a separate parish.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Thanks for that, I take it that Hazeleigh has it's own memorial then? I've never been there but will have to finf i to get a picture of the memorial. Peter19

Thanks for that, I take it that Hazeleigh has it's own memorial then? I've never been there but will have to finf i to get a picture of the memorial. Peter19

Hi - unfortunattely the parish church was demolished in 1922 and its replacement has now also gone. You could try Woodham Mortimer?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon