Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maldon (Essex) casualties

stephen p nunn

Looking forward to giving a talk tonight at Stanway, near Colchester, about the Maldon and Heybridge lads who made the ultimate sacrifice in the GW.

SPN

Maldon

• 1 month later...

Meeting up with the descendants of Driver Ben Cobey today. Ben was KIA saving the guns at Le Cateau. He wasn't on the Maldon Town War Memorial (even 'though he was born here) but he is on it now!

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 2 months later...

Dear all - I know I have asked many times before, but if any of you know the whereabouts of any medals associated with Maldon and Heybridge casualties I would love to hear from you. Best regards. SPN. Maldon.

• 3 months later...

We are preparing for Remembrance Sunday here in Maldon and the ceremony that will now recognise all of the 248 Maldon and Heybridge lads who lost their lives (including those on the new plaques).

The local paper has also agreed to run monthly Great War features next year to remember the town's part in the Great War.

Regards.

SPN
Maldon

Fantastic turn out at the Maldon Memorial today. I was privileged to be allowed to read The Kohima Epitaph - scary but a great honour. Then went to a service at RFC Stow Maries (ex-37 Squadron HD Station).

What a day!

Our Maldon and Heybridge Lads have certainly not been forgotten.

Regards.

SPN
Maldon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. I ask this every so often - in vain hope really - but has anyone seen any Maldon or Heybridge casualty related medals for sale anywhere?

All the best.

SPN
Maldon

• 2 months later...

My goodness - thanks to the wonderful Jules I can now add pictures.

Here is Maldon's War Memorial.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

post-43629-0-20201000-1390746497_thumb.j

This is the result of all of the research into the Maldon and Heybridge Lads. It wouldn't have happened without the support of my Pals on the Forum.

SPN

Maldon

post-43629-0-61978600-1390762989_thumb.j

• 2 months later...
Guest woody72

Hi,just discovered this thread whilst looking for the grave of my great uncle Frank Stammers.My Dad asked me to look because he wants to visit the grave (we both live in France now)I cant seem to find a record of Frank but his brother was in the essex regiment,5th bat.My dad remembers something about him being in Namur.I,ve inquired about buying your book because I would like to get it for him for his 80th birthday (17th April)Cheers and very well done on the memorial etc my dad will be chuffed!Tony.

Hi - this is the entry on Frank in my book:

123) STAMMERS, FRANK C. (actually FRANK GARDENER)

Gunner (890883) Royal Field Artillery (‘D’ Battery, 330th Brigade)

Born in Maldon in 1898. Son of Arthur Stammers [a letter carrier and jobbing gardener] and Mary A.R. Stammers of 13 High Street, Maldon. After his mother died, his father and older brother, Arthur H. Stammers [junior clerk] stayed on in Maldon. The remaining 8 members of the family (Stammers and Sharp) were dispersed. Frank Gardener Stammers boarded (as a school boy) at 8 Dale Road, Luton. [T77 as “T.G.”]

Died 2/2/1919 (aged 21)

Belgrade Cemetery (V.B.4)

After his death his medals remained unclaimed

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 11 months later...

Really pleased to get our Tower Poppy today. It is dedicated to Ted Last of Maldon (see my signature). He is on the main Maldon Town Memorial and remembered at Arras.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

post-43629-0-40413400-1426615305_thumb.j

• 2 years later...

Sorry to come in years late on this forum. I am researching Arthur John GATWARD who died 8/08/1918 aged 18, he was Single, Parents were Herbert and Eleanor Gatward living in Maldon, Essex. he doesn't appear to be listed on the Maldon war memorial. Just wondering if you have him on your list and why he wouldn't have made the memorial?  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 12:55, Gatwardhistory said:

Sorry to come in years late on this forum. I am researching Arthur John GATWARD who died 8/08/1918 aged 18, he was Single, Parents were Herbert and Eleanor Gatward living in Maldon, Essex. he doesn't appear to be listed on the Maldon war memorial. Just wondering if you have him on your list and why he wouldn't have made the memorial?  

Hi - yes, he is on the memorial. this is the entry on him from my book:

(42) GATWARD, ARTHUR JOHN

Private (77007) Royal Fusiliers (9th Battalion)

Son of Herbert John and Eleanor Gatward of 40 Mill Road, Maldon. [M] [T31]

Died 8/8/1918 (aged 19)

Vis-En-Artois Memorial (Panel 3)