Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maldon (Essex) casualties

stephen p nunn

Had a look at the plaques today. They have weathered in really well and look like they have been there for years!

Seasons Greetings to all Forum Pals.

SPN

Maldon.

• 1 month later...

One of the Maldon casualties now added to the war memorial (but previously only on the St. Mary's plaque) is:

George Lee BASTIN

I always thought that this was Private Bastin (709355) of the Canadian Infantry (New Brunswick Regiment) (26th Battalion). This soldier was born in Bristol, the son of John Lee Bastin and Laura Bastin. He was married to a Laura Bastin who's address was Coldbrook, Saint John, New Brunswick. I couldn't quite work out the Maldon link but was convinced it was him.

Anyway, a pal in Canada has just told me of the release of yet more Canadian records (burial cards). He has found one for Private Bastin which gives his next-of-kin as Mrs. L. Bastin of 29 King Street, Maldon, Essex! - QED!!

In addition, the card tells us that he was KIA; "during an advance, a direct hit was made by an enemy shell on a tank, Private Bastin being one of the occupants was instantly killed". This occured in "the vicinity of Marcelcave". and occured on 8/8/1918.

It would seem that after 3 years of enquiry his body was exhumed on 7/2/1923 and re-buried at Caix British Cemetery (I.F.5).

George was aged 32.

RIP

SPN

Maldon

Great that you're getting to tie up this particular loose end, Stephen.

RIP George. poppy.gif

Many thanks Louise and for your very helpful PM.

I am now going to brave the snow and go and look at his name on the St. Mary's plaque.

Best wishes.

SPN

Maldon.

One of the Maldon casualties now added to the war memorial (but previously only on the St. Mary's plaque) is:

George Lee BASTIN

I always thought that this was Private Bastin (709355) of the Canadian Infantry (New Brunswick Regiment) (26th Battalion). This soldier was born in Bristol, the son of John Lee Bastin and Laura Bastin. He was married to a Laura Bastin who's address was Coldbrook, Saint John, New Brunswick. I couldn't quite work out the Maldon link but was convinced it was him.

Anyway, a pal in Canada has just told me of the release of yet more Canadian records (burial cards). He has found one for Private Bastin which gives his next-of-kin as Mrs. L. Bastin of 29 King Street, Maldon, Essex! - QED!!

In addition, the card tells us that he was KIA; "during an advance, a direct hit was made by an enemy shell on a tank, Private Bastin being one of the occupants was instantly killed". This occured in "the vicinity of Marcelcave". and occured on 8/8/1918.

It would seem that after 3 years of enquiry his body was exhumed on 7/2/1923 and re-buried at Caix British Cemetery (I.F.5).

George was aged 32.

RIP

SPN

Maldon

Mrs Maldon and I have just done a George Lee Bastin trail. We found his family's Maldon house at 29 King Street (part of a Victorian terrace), had a look at his name on the contemporary St. Mary's Roll of Honour and then saw his name on one of the new plaques on the town's War Memorial.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Suegrace13

Hi

Not sure if you are still researching this but George Lee Bastin was my grandmother's uncle. He was born in Bristol but married Laura Lewsey in 1907 at Stockwell in London.

If you would like any more information, please feel free to contact me

Hi

Not sure if you are still researching this but George Lee Bastin was my grandmother's uncle. He was born in Bristol but married Laura Lewsey in 1907 at Stockwell in London.

If you would like any more information, please feel free to contact me

Fantastic! yes please - anything you have on him. Did you know about the Maldon connection?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Giving a talk today on the Maldon memorial, the research and the book to the Essex Society for Family History at the Essex Record Office.

Best wishes.

SPN

Maldon.

Giving a talk today on the Maldon memorial, the research and the book to the Essex Society for Family History at the Essex Record Office.

Best wishes.

SPN

Maldon.

Talk seemed to go well - aided by a message of good luck from Richard Van Emden. Large turn out with some interesting new leads.

Best wishes.

SPN

Maldon

Guest Suegrace13

Hi

Well the information I have is that George Lee Bastin was born 12 Mar 1885 in Bristol, England. He was the son of John Lee Bastin and Elizabeth Harris. He was living In Bristol until at least the age of 16 (according to 1901 census) and was employed as a nurseryman.

I have a copy of his marriage certificate detailing his marriage to Laura Lewsey, age 19 years who lived at 18 Kay Road, Stockwell, London with her father Robert Lewsey who was a gardener. They married at St Andrew's Parish Church, Stockwell on 9/03/1907.

The next thing I have is a copy of George's attestation papers where Laura is now living with George at 10 Canon Street, St John, New Brunswick and he was a chauffeur, 5ft 8" with a 40" girth, light brown hair and blue eyes.

As previously commented, George was killed in action 08/08/1918 whilst serving as a Private in the 26th Battn (New Brunswick Regt) reg No 709355. His next of kin is indeed, noted as Mrs Laura Bastin, 29 King Street, Malden, Essex. I can only assume that Laura did not remain in Canada whilst George was serving, and returned to England.

George was buried in Caix British Cemetery, Plot 1, Row 7 after being exhumed in 1923 (not sure why this was?)

George was one of 8 children, and my paternal grandmother's uncle. The entire family was (and still is) based in Bristol and Somerset, so I can only assume the Maldon connection was to do with his wife, Laura?

If you ever come across any photos of either George or the Lewsey family, please do send them to me, as I am in the process of creating a family tree and George has captured my attention and has become a hero of mine

If I can help you in any further way, please ask. Thank you for all the work you are doing....

Kind regards

Fantastic! yes please - anything you have on him. Did you know about the Maldon connection?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Talk seemed to go well - aided by a message of good luck from Richard Van Emden. Large turn out with some interesting new leads.

Congratulations, Stephen. Another string to your bow? Delighted there's been new leads - and now you've got a complete picture on George Lee Bastin, all in a very short space of time.

Hi

Well the information I have is that George Lee Bastin was born 12 Mar 1885 in Bristol, England. He was the son of John Lee Bastin and Elizabeth Harris. He was living In Bristol until at least the age of 16 (according to 1901 census) and was employed as a nurseryman.

I have a copy of his marriage certificate detailing his marriage to Laura Lewsey, age 19 years who lived at 18 Kay Road, Stockwell, London with her father Robert Lewsey who was a gardener. They married at St Andrew's Parish Church, Stockwell on 9/03/1907.

The next thing I have is a copy of George's attestation papers where Laura is now living with George at 10 Canon Street, St John, New Brunswick and he was a chauffeur, 5ft 8" with a 40" girth, light brown hair and blue eyes.

As previously commented, George was killed in action 08/08/1918 whilst serving as a Private in the 26th Battn (New Brunswick Regt) reg No 709355. His next of kin is indeed, noted as Mrs Laura Bastin, 29 King Street, Malden, Essex. I can only assume that Laura did not remain in Canada whilst George was serving, and returned to England.

George was buried in Caix British Cemetery, Plot 1, Row 7 after being exhumed in 1923 (not sure why this was?)

George was one of 8 children, and my paternal grandmother's uncle. The entire family was (and still is) based in Bristol and Somerset, so I can only assume the Maldon connection was to do with his wife, Laura?

If you ever come across any photos of either George or the Lewsey family, please do send them to me, as I am in the process of creating a family tree and George has captured my attention and has become a hero of mine

If I can help you in any further way, please ask. Thank you for all the work you are doing....

Kind regards

Thank you very much for all this great information. I have a contact in Canada who has kindly provided me with all of George's service record. Extra documentation has recently come to light and if you PM me with your email address I can send you these extra documents (that only arrived with me very recently). King Street is in the St. Mary's parish and one can imagine his widow asking for his name to be included on the Roll of Honour at the church. We often sit near it and remember George and all the other brave lads commemorated there.

Let me know if you ever visit Maldon.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Congratulations, Stephen. Another string to your bow? Delighted there's been new leads - and now you've got a complete picture on George Lee Bastin, all in a very short space of time.

Thanks for your continuing support Louise. Hope all is OK with you.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 2 months later...

Walked past the memorial this morning. The "new" plaques have really weathered in and look like they have been their for years!

Best regards to all

SPN

Maldon

Will take a look when ime back in your neck of the woods, did you find anymore info on the Rowbotham listed in the church

• 2 weeks later...

Will take a look when ime back in your neck of the woods, did you find anymore info on the Rowbotham listed in the church

Hi Garry - odd really. He is on the St. Mary's plaque but nowhere else. There are 13 men (out of 74) who are on the plaque but not on the original town memorial. They are all on the additional memorial plates now and over the years their links with the town have become clear but not this chap:

Arthur Alfred ROBOTHAM

Possibly a CSM with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment (who happened to be stationed in Maldon)

If so (240759) of 2/6 Battalion.

Son of John and sarah ann Robotham of 66 Station Road, King's Norton, Birmingham.

KIA 24/10/1918 (Crucifix Cemetery)

Any ideas?

Best wishes.

SPN

Maldon

He looks like the most likely candidate, Stephen - although I note his forenames are given the other way round on CWGC. Alfred Arthur is on the 1911 census as a 13 year old schoolboy: his father was born at Salop and his mother at Warwick. SDGW indicates that they continued to reside at King's Norton.

Papers exist for Arthur Robotham 9262 of the Norfolk Regiment (21 years when he signed up) and there's no connection with Essex either - the family being firmly centred in Norfolk (there's a list of NoK right through uncles and aunts). I've also found them on the 1911 census.

ETA: I think his MIC is in the name of Alfred A, showing him as a WO CL II (number 240759) entitled to the BWM and VM.

He looks like the most likely candidate, Stephen - although I note his forenames are given the other way round on CWGC. Alfred Arthur is on the 1911 census as a 13 year old schoolboy: his father was born at Salop and his mother at Warwick. SDGW indicates that they continued to reside at King's Norton.

Papers exist for Arthur Robotham 9262 of the Norfolk Regiment (21 years when he signed up) and there's no connection with Essex either - the family being firmly centred in Norfolk (there's a list of NoK right through uncles and aunts). I've also found them on the 1911 census.

ETA: I think his MIC is in the name of Alfred A, showing him as a WO CL II (number 240759) entitled to the BWM and VM.

That's great information Louise. i think the link must be bhis posting in Maldon?

Regards.

Stephen.

• 4 weeks later...

Great to see a thread on Second Lieutenant Charles Anthony Stanley of the 1st/4th Northamptonshire Regiment. He is one of the "new" names added to the Maldon War Memorial.

SPN

Maldon

Stephen

I visited Maldon a couple of weeks ago whilst staying with my daughter, and bought your book at the tourist information shop, unaware that you were a member of the GWF. Congratulations on a fine piece of work.

Andy

Stephen

I visited Maldon a couple of weeks ago whilst staying with my daughter, and bought your book at the tourist information shop, unaware that you were a member of the GWF. Congratulations on a fine piece of work.

Andy

Thanks Andy - that's very kind of you.

Best wishes.

Stephen

• 1 month later...

Have included the war memorial in my new book: 'Maldon & Heybridge Through Time'. Have a view of the original unveiling, the memorial today and the extra new plaques. Have also focused in on the name "William Edward Last" and have a picture of him when he joined up. Really pleased to include all of that.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Good Evening and all the very best to you, Stephen/Maldon. Three years ago I hoped your project would succeed, and now it has become a valuable record for your community and its people. Well done and congratulations on the new book.

I have started work on my Uncle Arthur Elliott's long distance horse ride he made in 1955, and had to refer to the thread on him; my first contact with the GWF for a long time.

Great to know you are still researching and still getting the help from members of this remarkable resource.

Kind regards,

Phil.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening and all the very best to you, Stephen/Maldon. Three years ago I hoped your project would succeed, and now it has become a valuable record for your community and its people. Well done and congratulations on the new book.

I have started work on my Uncle Arthur Elliott's long distance horse ride he made in 1955, and had to refer to the thread on him; my first contact with the GWF for a long time.

Great to know you are still researching and still getting the help from members of this remarkable resource.

Kind regards,

Phil.

Thanks for your kind remarks Phil. I am very proud at what the GWF has achieved and feel that way every time I walk past the new plaques. I am trying to get the mods to recognise the story by adding this thread to the "classics" but no success so far!

BNest regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 1 month later...

The local press ran a front page feature this week about the forgotten Avenue of Remembrance on Maldon's Promanade. I have been campaigning to have it recognised again for years. Having succeeded with the plaques on the War Memorial, perhaps we might also be victorious in relation to the Avenue after all.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon