Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maldon (Essex) casualties

stephen p nunn

do074h.jpg

Here you go Maldon

Cheers Mike

Brilliant! - thanks Mike - now, anyone any idea about regiment???

Help me!

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

There's not much to go on Maldon. Maybe some clever pal can see a clue on shoulder or some other mysterious pointer.

Cheers Mike.

Yes, I agree with you Mike. The original is no clearer. Apart from the shoulder badge I wondered if the tunic type and lanyard helps?

Frustrating to have a name and image but no ID!

SPN

Maldon

Got my piece published in the Essex Chronicle newspaper today with an appeal for information on the remaining 6 names. I hope this will generate some links to resolve the mystery. Will keep you posted. Sorry that nobody has had any thoughts about the George Boreham picture (see this thread).

All the best.

SPN

Maldon

Just over a month and 6 from the original 14. Good to see you made the newspaper. Avatar successful too! Looking forward to the next twist in the tale.

Good Luck, Phil.

Amazing what a bit of publicity in the local paper can do. Although no firm leads on the 6 missing men yet, loads more information on the other 244! Am visiting someone tomorrow night who has letters and papers relating to one of the chaps. Exciting stuff.

Regards to all.

SPN

Maldon

well done Maldon. Am about to place an advert ( again ) too. In different paper.

Cheers Mike.

Thanks old friend - good to hear from you. What paper/what's the story?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

The Perthshire Advertiser, just the usual, any photographs of Kenmore aberfeldy etc etc. Have tried before in smaller journals with a small amount of success. You don't get if you don't ask

Cheers Mike

The Perthshire Advertiser, just the usual, any photographs of Kenmore aberfeldy etc etc. Have tried before in smaller journals with a small amount of success. You don't get if you don't ask

Cheers Mike

Good luck Mike. Let us know how you get on. I am visiting a contact tomorrow night - and it's Essex Regiment (9th Battalion) a chap called Private Samuel Charles BASHAM(12240) who is burried at Avesnes-Le-Comte (died 16/3/17), so the newspaper stuff does pay off sometimes. By the way, didn't Robbie Burns mention your place!

SPN

Maldon

Just got back from a fantastic interview with a descendant of one of the Maldon men:

Private Samuel Charles BASHAM (12240) Essex Regiment (9th Battalion) DoW 16/3/17.

I knew a bit about him already - his parents, their jobs (mariner and a pea sorter), home address and then surprised the chap by telling him that (acording to CWGC)Samuel was married. However, he then produced a fantastic picture of him in uniform and taken in France and a remarkable letter to his sister from the front dated just the day before his death. He also had a newspaper cutting reporting his home leave in 1916 after 10 months at the front and having escaped death on a number of occassions (including having had his rifle shot out of his hands). Amazing stuff!

I have seen the official records for Samuel (but no medal card seems to survive) but what about this personal stuff!

Regards

SPN

Maldon

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=86

You will get S C Basham's MIC here for a couple of quid Maldon

Cheers Mike

edit Well done for finding the information. Excellent. I await a reply from the Perthshire Advertiser.

Thanks Mike (as usual) really good of you. Anoying that it has apparently been missed of off Ancestry. Good luck with the Perthshire Advertiser. If it's anything like the response I have had through my local paper, it will be really worthwhile.

"Fair fa' your honest sonsie face"!

SPN

Maldon

SPN

I have been researching a man whose parents came from Maldon Thomas Hugo French RFC

his paretns lived in Utling Hall in Maldon and I wondered if he is listed on tne memorial there. I have a fair bit on him if you're interested

Regards John

SPN

I have been researching a man whose parents came from Maldon Thomas Hugo French RFC

his paretns lived in Utling Hall in Maldon and I wondered if he is listed on tne memorial there. I have a fair bit on him if you're interested

Regards John

Thanks John. No he isn't on the main memorial or any of the plaques in town but then Ulting is a fair way out. There is a French mentioned but he was Oxley Albert whose dad was a fishmonger. They were based in High Street but the family later moved to Tonbridge, Kent.

Not come across a link between Gerald Pearson RFC and Maldon have you?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Thanks to contact through this forum, had some fantastic information and photos linked to Ben Cobey (maldon born lad of Le Cateau fame). As the book now exceeds 100 pages in text alone I think I am going to soon go to proof stage for publishing. My only regret is the remaining six unidentified names. I have an appeal out for anyone who visits the Newspaper Library at Collindale because there is a short run of Maldon newspapers for the Great War period, but no takers yet.

There will be a big "thank you" in the book to "my many pals on the Great War Forum".

Kind regards to all.

SPN

Maldon

Of the 248 Maldon casualties two of them were apparently awarded the "Medaille Militaire". By a strange coincidence their names are adjacent to each other on the memorial but they are apparently unconected:

Alfred Edward EVES (L/22734) RFA died 12/6/1918

Edward Arthur FINCH (218969) RN died 24/1/1918

Does anyone know anything about this French award and why these two received it?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Have you checked the overseas death indexes for the names you require also if not already check parish registers and the probate indexes. good luck with your last few.

Have you checked the overseas death indexes for the names you require also if not already check parish registers and the probate indexes. good luck with your last few.

Thanks for your encouragement Izzy. Nothing in the local death records.

Regards

SPN

Maldon

when checking parish registers check the marrige and birth as these are often overlooked. Are you publishing a book or putting it on a data base ?

when checking parish registers check the marrige and birth as these are often overlooked. Are you publishing a book or putting it on a data base ?

Thanks Izzy - have gone through all BMD for the area. Yes a book - 30 years in the making!

SPN

Maldon

Good luck with your research, maldon. I'm from Chelmsford originally, and know Maldon well.

Two of your men are connected to my Chailey 1914-1918 research: Hugo Frederick Grantham and his father Frederick William Grantham. Frederick and Hugo had connections with Barcombe in Sussex and were related to William Wilson Grantham and William Ivor Grantham who appear on my site. I am in touch with a Grantham relative in New Zealand and can probably put you in touch. Please drop me a PM if you're interested.

Paul

Good luck with your research, maldon. I'm from Chelmsford originally, and know Maldon well.

Two of your men are connected to my Chailey 1914-1918 research: Hugo Frederick Grantham and his father Frederick William Grantham. Frederick and Hugo had connections with Barcombe in Sussex and were related to William Wilson Grantham and William Ivor Grantham who appear on my site. I am in touch with a Grantham relative in New Zealand and can probably put you in touch. Please drop me a PM if you're interested.

Paul

Thanks Paul - this is an exciting development. Will be in touch.

SPN

Maldon