Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Then and Now .....90 years ago and today

Havrincourt

................................... I went up the steps at the top of the Villers Brettoneaux memorial on my hands and knees and was only persuaded to have a look at the view after a lot of cajoling.

Michelle (who doesn't do heights)

Here is a view back towards Lonsdale Cemetery and 'Bert.

I'm ditto on the height thing, but Tiepval has a very high parapet at the top so it felt fairly secure - though I was pretty happy to get back to terra firma.

Tom

post-108-1237380398.jpg

I note that neither of the lucky b's who have managed to get to the top of the TM have said how they contrived it? Did they bribe or otherwise corrupt a custodian of the door key or are there organised tours. I think we should be told!

Here's a posibility

.................. maybe not the best of ideas though :huh:

I am sure no respectable GWF member would resort to such behaviour! ;)

Of course not - that's just an option for the less well connected. Now if you happened to be a mate of Prince Chuckie, and he was visiting .............. :lol:

(my lips is sealed, innit)

Tom

Will post some of my piccies soon. There is some nice Nazi graffiti up there too! I had forgotton the final ascent involved ladders! What is equally amazing is the hollow interior and the concrete raft the whole thing floats on. When I went despite recent repairs there were riverlets of rain water pouring down that will cause structural damage...on going work I think.

Heres how I got up...well I .......ohh is that the door bell...must dash!!!!!

Regards

TT

One wonders what the returning inhabitants of Albert made of the new phone box!

Bruce

Dear me - took the photo over 15 years ago - never noticed the phone box before!!

How observant am I??

Phil

Excellent quality thread! Well done one and all. I'm envious of your hitech abilities.

Simmo - apologies - I was having a d'oh moment! Sadly the Belfast friends of the somme site seems to have 'domain expired' .... I hope it will re-appear because the loss of the 'Battlefield Trip' pictures would be a tragedy.

Des

Great photos Dingle Road, I am sure they will do amazing, wonderful, inspiring, spooky things with them :)

Cheers

Shirley

Dear me - took the photo over 15 years ago - never noticed the phone box before!!

How observant am I??

Phil

I only noticed because whilst on tour i always point out the phone box in Oosterbeek. We take such things for granted, but in foreign countries they just seem so out of place. I believe the Dutch phone box was a gift from Coventry. How did that one get there?

Bruce

The hellfire Corner and other pics are quite early I think - early 20's? There has been a thread before about the temporary restaurants and bars that sprang up around Ypres - like the one pictured.

Some great replies on here ladies and gents , I never have seen the inside of the Thiepval memorial and cannot wait to see more views Tom & TT

....I had a little go with the key bumping trick....not telling you where I live! :o

Some nice views of the Menin road Dingleroad, I have updated some request photos for this year for other "Then & Nows" if anyone can have a go

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36149499@N05/3366999571/

Thank you all

Andy

:rolleyes:

....and ones like these, I have no modern comparison for these two either, I will add them to Flickr too....Anybody going to the Somme or Ypres shortly?

Guards Cemetery and Guillemont

Andy

post-10939-1237492532.jpg

post-10939-1237492571.jpg

Folks

I must admit that the quality of some of the photo comparisons on this thread has given me a list of "Then and Now" photos I would like to take when I am out in France later this year. Please keep them coming in the meantime.

Regards, Tommy.

Hello Tommy

That's great news, I cannot wait to get back over there either, I have quite a list now for the comparisons , I have added another 10 or so request views here is link to one of them, please take a look at the other sets too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36149499@N05/3371721897/

My pal tells me that this view is still possible, would any kind soul be able to take this one?

Andy

post-10939-1237629254.jpg

....And Tom and TT, its torture ......let's see more of those superb Thiepval pictures

....and ones like these, I have no modern comparison for these two either, I will add them to Flickr too....Anybody going to the Somme or Ypres shortly?

Guards Cemetery and Guillemont

Andy

post-10939-1237492532.jpg

post-10939-1237492571.jpg

Hi Andy,

Will be there in 2 weeks. Will def get Giullemont rd for you and Guards but as i remember high banking either side of road at Lesboefs so maybe little tricky to get angle right but see what i can do :D . Haven't forgot Bernafay Wood either ;)

Wayne

Wayne

A man with a mission, great .......you might have to do the old photographers trick of standing on top of the car to get that angle right :D

Well not to forget the Ypres area here is a comparison of the Lankhof farm bunkers, my thanks to Aurel for the 1938 picture

post-10939-1237656530.jpg

Lankhof Bunkers - looks like the saplings are now the mature trees? And the same concrete posts??

Great comparison, with little change over the years.

Thanks Ian, yes not a great deal has changed apart from those trees.

Am I correct in saying that the bunkers were captured by the Germans in the 1918 offensive, but only for a short time?

Here is another view

I have added some Ypres request comparisons onto Flickr too :rolleyes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36149499@N05/...57615011587184/

Andy

post-10939-1237749364.jpg

Thanks DingleRoad great views from the Ypres area.

I have added more today on this Flickr link, please take a look at the other pictures and sets

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36149499@N05/

....here is a morphed picture from the French site too

Andy

post-10939-1238089607.jpg