Andy ,

Here is the Postcard of the school and Chapel in Paissy cave

Maurice

post-44645-1239276285.jpg

Buzancy memorial 1919

Buzancy Memorial these days

post-44645-1239277476.png

post-44645-1239277604.jpg

Great views inside the Paissy caves Maurice and a good comparison of the Buzancy Memorial

Marnik my friend thank you for posting the Broodseinde memorial, great to see you on here

Staying in Belgium, a comparison shared from a very helpful chap to all on the forum , Dave Croonaert... here is Comines

Andy

:rolleyes:

post-10939-1239393504.jpg

Morning , hope everyone is having a good easter break

Posted somemore comparison old postcard requests on Flickr last night .........here is a view of Mametz, is it possible to get the same view today??

Take a look at the link here for more of the postcard collection

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36149499@N05/

Andy

post-10939-1239439454.jpg

Hi,

I am sure that you realise Pozieries 2 in your gallery is indeed Le Tommy cafe!!!

TT

Nice one TT , so it is :blush: , of all places I do not have a modern comparison to go with the postcard view though , it would make a good comparison for someone to post

.....just taken a look on the google street view and it has a dirty great big lorry stood outside!

Andy

Happy Easter

Before taking my tribe out today thought I would post this one

Here is a view of German troops moving through the streets of Menin , the number of troops here in this one photograph must have made the Belgians think they would never be free from occupation

Menin

post-10939-1239526528.jpg

Andy,

Have returned safely from the Somme and got your pics of Guillemont Road & Guards cemetery Lesboeufs. PM me with your e mail and i'll send them to you.

Wayne

This one is a "then" and "before". The second southern Queen Victoria Auxiliary Hospital located on the Downs in Bristol. The colour one is when it was used as a convalescent home prior to WW1.

Norman

Norman,

Can you let me know where the hospital building is located ? I can't place it although I thought I knew Bristol well having moved here years ago and like many others, never went home, the city is just too good !

Guy.

• Admin

Guy

Top of Blackboy Hill on foot, Redland Hill by car, opposite the Glen (now a private hospital I believe, a nightclub in my days) I used to get into the grounds up some steps off Blackboy Hill, near to an Indian Restaurant.That led you to the nurses homes, I had a good view of the old hospital from my room. (But being a ground floor room also had a few peeping toms..........)

Michelle

Can't wait to see those photos Wayne

I will add more to Flickr by the weekend

Here is a larger version of Paissy from the Chemin des Dames comparison

Andy

post-10939-1239907456.jpg

Following on from Andy's earlier 'Then and Now' photos of Bouzincourt Communal Cemetery Extension (post 139), I thought I might share one of my own with you - my gg uncle Horace's grave at Bouzincourt c. 1919 and today:

post-2839-1239915156.jpg post-2839-1239915377.jpg

Incidently, the two matching grave markers behind Horace's on the 1919 photo are of the Lyall brothers, Archibald and James, both Lieutenants in the 15th Highland Light Infantry, who were both killed in action on 3rd July 1916 (there's a previous thread regarding these chaps elsewhere on the Forum I seem to remember).

Steve

Steve

These wooden cross pictures are great thank you for posting this comparison for your great great uncles grave at Bouzincourt, does he and the other lads appear in the overall comparison picture on post 139?

I have posted some other comparison requests on Flickr....... try this link please http://www.flickr.com/photos/36149499@N05/

It includes this picture of the memorial in Flers

Andy

post-10939-1240044472.jpg

Steve

These wooden cross pictures are great thank you for posting this comparison for your great great uncles grave at Bouzincourt, does he and the other lads appear in the overall comparison picture on post 139?

Hi Andy,

Horace's grave cannot be made out on your 1920s postcard for the sea of crosses, but the two identical grave markers in the civilian cemetery behind the hedge in my photo (rear right) can be made out on yours:

post-2839-1240084760.jpg

cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve, a nice Cemetery and always worth a visit when on the Somme

Going back to TT identifying the Pozieres picture made me make a look on google maps, it is possible to do some comparisons from there too

Andy

Mametz village

post-10939-1240143465.jpg

Cafe at Cerny on the Chemin des Dames postwar

post-44645-1240153479.jpg

Cerny cafe 1929

post-44645-1240233952.jpg

Here's some pics i did for Andy whilst over in Somme couple weeks ago

Pic 1 Guards Cemetery

Pic 2 Guillemont Road

post-29589-1240500480.jpg

post-29589-1240500558.jpg

Great photos Havrincourt, I have an old double set post card of Tyne cott cem somewhere Andy, if I send you a copy do you think you would be able to work your wonders with them?

Regards

Alan

Thank you Maurice for more of the Chemin photo's, there are some wonderful views from Cerny village

Wayne, I think it is great of you to make time on your trip to take some comparison photographs for the thread, did you have to get onto the road banking at the Guards Cemetery?........this is what makes the forum..... a big thank you, well done

Alan , nice comments..........and yes please it would be a pleasure to have a look at some of the Tyne Cot Cemetery postcards, if I cannot help I know a man who can :D

Speaking of postcards I have added some other comparison requests on Flickr , please take a look at the others on there too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36149499@N05/

The latest batch includes this one of Longueval

Andy

post-10939-1240588263.jpg

Hi Andy,

great collection. Thank you again for sharing.

Fritz

Your most welcome Andy, yep almost broke my neck up that embankment and some strange looks form passing farmer :P but def worth it.

Wayne

Fritz thank you , my wife tells me I should be cutting the grass and not enjoying myself on the computer :lol:

Wayne , well it was worth it......looks like I owe you a beer

Yes John some buildings survived both wars, It would depend on where they were and if the attackers looked upon the area as a target.....escaping some damage, here is a comparison of Pfetterhausen

Andy

post-10939-1240673363.jpg

........and a morph picture

post-10939-1240674126.jpg