Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Then and Now .....90 years ago and today

Havrincourt

post-10939-1238090216.jpg

....And Tom and TT, its torture ......let's see more of those superb Thiepval pictures :rolleyes:

sorry - been away from the pc.

Here is part of the main chamber above the Stone of Remembrance, and a view down in the bowels

post-108-1238090284.jpg

post-108-1238090393.jpg

And here is the view back towards Mucky Farm, then a view which you dont actually see until you examine the camera after taking it - 'cos looking at this would make you feint

post-108-1238090789.jpg

post-108-1238090861.jpg

Hello Andy,

what a great collection of old postcards and manipulated pics! You must have worked days and nights for the forum to share it with us. Thank you very much.

Cheers

Fritz

And here is the view back towards Mucky Farm, then a view which you dont actually see until you examine the camera after taking it - 'cos looking at this would make you feint

Yikes!!!!

• Admin

I'm feeling ill just looking at that photo Tom! As I said in a previous post- I don't do heights! I was a gibbering wreck going up the tower of Cologne Cathedral years ago.............

Michelle

I'm feeling ill just looking at that photo Tom! As I said in a previous post- I don't do heights! I was a gibbering wreck going up the tower of Cologne Cathedral years ago.............

Michelle

Great Photos Tom, I do heights, my only problem is finding a good anchor to attach the rope to for the trip down........ :lol:

Michelle

Michelle - many (many) years ago I was in Paris visiting a girlfriend who had landed a job there. We went up the Arc de Triomphe (about 15 ft higher than Thiepval) and the view over the top nearly had me on my knees. A couple of days later she came up with a great romantic plan for a trip up Mr Eiffel's tower ..................... but unfortunately when we got there we found that there was a lift problem between the second stage and the top, and we could "only" get to stage two (2.5 x Thiepval) rather than the top (6 x Thiepval + a bit).

Obviously I was devastated :lol:

Tom

My first attempt at a then and now . Everything crossed . Nearly Nery .Be afraid Chris Not quite got the hang as yet but you get the drift Cavalry billet during the affair .

Maurice

post-44645-1238160307.jpg

post-44645-1238160407.jpg

Andy, in reply to your query whether Lankhof bunkers were taken by the Germans....yes. on 27th April they pushed out 6th Leicesters, who tried to recapture on 28th but were unsuccessful.

Regards Peter

Thank you again for all the contributions here

Peter, just looking at trench maps this must have been the limit of the advance, were there any other grouos of shelters like these, I have seen the ones at Hyde Park , Ploegsteert

Maurice, superb , we were at Nery last year...and stood at the wrong side of the billet :blush: ......did you see the village graveyard?

Tom , those photographs are fantastic, I like heights myself but looking over the edge would have been a bit too much for me too....lol

.....I also think the site that you have is top drawer stuff

I will be adding more to Flickr this afternoon, in the meantime here is a comparison for Michelle, she might have a better one than this though

Puchevillers

Andy

:rolleyes:

post-10939-1238233703.jpg

Andy ,

Yes I have been to the graveyard . It always brings a lump in my throat after a visit .

Maurice

Here is another; Braisne in September 1914 and a modern day comparison. Captured by British Cavalry September 12th, 1914.

Maurice

post-44645-1238243359.jpg

post-44645-1238243372.jpg

Thanks for the photo of Puchevillers Andy- no I don't have a then and now.

Michelle (using Dads computer)

Just one more . Vailly sur Aisne British and French cemeteries 1921 .

Do you want any more ?

Maurice

post-44645-1238244061.jpg

Vailly now

post-44645-1238244337.jpg

Michelle, Maurice

Yes more please, last year we visited the scene of the 1914 battles at Vailly and the Compiegne

Andy

:rolleyes:

• Admin

I'll let Dad go live on the next one he puts up- I've been talking him through them up till now. Can you put the Paissy one up next please Pops?

Michelle

Maurice,

Braisne - even the roof tile variations remain the same! Not much changed over the years there. Good comparison.

Thanks

Ian

Andy ,

Did you get up to Rouge Maison Farm whilst you were in Vailly last year ?

Maurice

Hi Maurice

Yes, but no photographs :glare:

The views across the Aisne are wonderful, can you imagine the destruction that could be seen for miles on both sides of the valley

As Ian says a great comparison of Braisne

Andy

Hello Andy ,

As you say great views up on the Chemin des Dames . Have always wondered what might have been had we gained that ridge before the Germans closed the gap between their two armies .

Maurice

Great thread. It's long overdue a move to the Classics section, so here it goes....

Great thread. It's long overdue a move to the Classics section, so here it goes....

Congratulations, Andy (Havrincourt) well deserved recognition

Richard

Andy ,

As a new member I find this thread of great interest . Many thanks

Maurice