Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Then and Now .....90 years ago and today

Havrincourt

Des, superb link to a great site, can't imagine the thoughts that those lads must have had on their return to the battlefields, together with old friends visiting places that brought back good and yet awful memories.

These are the types of pictures that will still be out there somewhere - up in a loft or tucked in a shoebox under the bed, some might have gone forever, thank you

Jon, that's great, for those of us that are fortunate enough to visit.....I hope that we all feel the same and come back with lots of photographs to share

Your kind comments and contributions are welcome........staying on the Somme.....Thiepval memorial

Andy

:rolleyes:

post-10939-1235223855.jpg

.....and the 2 photographs side by side, the snow scene from 2007

Andy

post-10939-1235302004.jpg

Brilliant as usual Andy. Thank you. One thing I noticed in the old photo was the two flags. Do they not put them up anymore?

Diane

Lcpl Ewing of 14th R Irish Rifles in Thiepval Wood 1916 .. and excavated trenches of modern times ... and T'val Wood 30 June 2006 .. the only cool place on the Somme!

post-1582-1235343591.jpg

post-1582-1235343652.jpg

post-1582-1235343744.jpg

This is Fontaine le Croisilles....goods yard for the construction of the Hindenburg Line. Piles of steel, cement, aggregates can be seen. Today, village football pitch

post-2649-1235470979.jpg

post-2649-1235471004.jpg

Thank you Des and Peter, did not realise that the football pitch was the old railyard, when we visited we could see the locals training late on a summers evening

Diane, yes you can see in the top part of this "now & now"" :D ...one summer....one winter.....that the flags are still flown, on special visits/dates etc

post-10939-1235671764.jpg

....Staying on the Somme for now Serre Road Cemetery No1

One of the first places we visited on the Somme a few years ago now, following the action of the Leeds Pals on 1st July

See how the road has gained height over the years

Andy

post-10939-1235827985.jpg

Love the superimposed photos, especially the Thiepval one with all the people there. One can only imagine the emotions of all those there.

Don't stop!

Cheers

Shirley

Thank you for your kind comments Shirley. It is an impressive memorial and always worth a visit everytime we tour the area

Here we see Guillemont road Cemetery, look at the bare landscape in the background.... today trees shelter this peaceful place

Andy

post-10939-1235915800.jpg

I'm afraid I can only add two "then" items. These are postcards that belonged to my grandfather, who fought at Mons with the C.E.F. late in the war.

The first is a postcard showing the Square de la Prison in Mons. This actually is a "before then" image. My grandfather has written on the back of this postcard "This place looks very nice, even now when there are no trees."

Mons1.jpg

I'd be very interested in seeing if someone on the forum has a picture showing the park in 1917, as he would have seen it, in addition to perhaps what it looks like now.

The second image is a mystery,that perhaps someone here can solve, at the risk that this perhaps takes the thread away from scenes closer to the action. This appears to be a photograph taken by, or for, my grandfather and mounted onto a postcard backing. There is no notation on the back, and the only clues are the house number "52" and the uniforms worn by the two individuals at the right and the others further back down the road at the left of the photo. I'm afraid my knowledge of uniforms is very limited, but the uniform being worn by the fellow on the far right does not look English, so this may still be Mons. Post-Armistice? Or am I way off?

MysteryWW1.jpg

Thank you for any information.

Henry

Henry,

The uniforms look German (two more in the background, left), and the location looks Flemmish. Conclusion thus that this pic was taken by Germans whilst occupying the town. The buildings are not damaged, so behind the lines at that time, and probably used as billets. Maybe this was the family which housed the particular soldiers featured in this view?

No idea how your grandfather obtained this image, but my money is on it not having been taken by the C E F! Perhaps he 'libertated' it from an obliging German, or was given it by grateful villagers when passing through the town, or maybe he bought/bartererd it with some pals?

Nice pictures though - all you now need to do is obtain the comparison shots!

Ian

Here's one of a bunker at La Baraque. The story behind the photo....3rd October 1918, 46th Divisional signals ( pigeons, flags, batteries evident, St Quentin-Bellicourt road in background) setting up signal center in German bunker, present are a few military police, awaiting prisoners from next infantry assault. Later this afternoon a German plane drops a bomb, killing several of the soldiers in the photo, these are buried in the cemetery 50 yards away.

post-2649-1236072092.jpg

Stunning stuff MEBU.

Thanks

David

What a great pic, Mebu. Full of every day-routine. The idea a bomb is about to be dropped here makes it very poignant as well.

Roel

Mebu - top class picture. What a perfect illustration of the importance of logistics and communications. I.E. WW1 was not all bayonets and bombs .. without the 'tail' the 'teeth' were useless? And then, from out of the skies, death comes falling ... modern war encapsulated.

Des

What are the objects on the roof of the bunker ?

Great photo mebu !

Mick

Quality photograph and such a poignant event , thank you Peter for this contribution

Ian , great colourisation..... it brings the scene to life

Henry thank you for the picture at Mons , I hope that someone can take a "now" view this year

I will add more pictures shortly

Andy

I really enjoy this thread so much. Many thanks to all contributors.

If you bear with me over the next few postings, five in total, I'd like to make my own small contribution which consists of a 'before, after and during' and then a 'then and now'.

I hope the pictures come through OK as I'm a bit of a newbie technophobe.

Anyway, here goes with the before. The penciled caption on the back of this aerial photo is Guillemont, before bombardment, 1 July 1916.

post-27638-1236197183.jpg