Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Then and Now .....90 years ago and today

Havrincourt

Hollebeke embankment, 1916 and 90 years later (sorry Bob, couldn't get exact angle as view from embankment is a lot of bushes, but I think it gives general idea).

following is 1917 aerial shot

Regards Peter

bunker can be seen in less than comfortable conditions (21st July 1917)

post-2649-1233740196.jpg

post-2649-1233740363.jpg

Hello Roel, yes bunker is still there on aerial shot (half way up, on right). There's another couple of years of shelling yet.

Sorry photos not as clear as hoped for, scanning problems again....

Regards Peter

Peter

Can you give us all info on that great 1916 shot, taken from the embankment? looking south? can you anotate a map?

Are there other photos of the same location?

Wonderfull..............

Bob

A hugely enjoyable thread. I think it indicates that a Forum camera safari "over there" is needed to get some really bang on "Then and Nows". It must be really difficult to take the Now pic that completely replicates the original - there are a fair few variables. Of course the actual position of the camera and it's height plus the effective focal length of the lens and the depth of field and any tilt.

Of course, the better the match the better the morph but criticising the morphs that are obtained from less than perfect matched photos is a bit silly as often no one went out to secure the match in the first place. You are just doing the best you can with the pics available. They can still work though. But do I detect a bit of sour grapes from purveyors of "Then and Nows" from "another place" who are limited to half a dozen a year. What upstarts these internet sites are.

These images do serve to point up how lucky we are to visit the Western Front as it is today - though I must confess to an envy of the battlefield tourists of the 20s/30s who had the opportunity to wander through the still fresh chaos - but of course their interest was often very personal immediate and poignant.

As has been said before - please keep 'em coming - even if they are less than perfect.

Thank you for your comments Ian, imagine the views from the 20's...where are those photo's now?

Peter another set of great pictures there, thank you for sharing here again

Andy

Ian, Andy, yes there must be an enormous number from the 20s tucked away somewhere. The attached is where the bloke who built Red House went back to find owner had built around it.....destroyed about 1990.

Regards Peter

post-2649-1233765914.jpg

Ian, Andy, yes there must be an enormous number from the 20s tucked away somewhere. The attached is where the bloke who built Red House went back to find owner had built around it.....destroyed about 1990.

Regards Peter

What's the Red House, where is/was it? How did someone build it then come back and find the owner had built round it?

Anthony

Love the bunker photos Peter, could start another thread, just on these !

Mick

Hello Peter, nice picture, what is at the location now?

Here is the morph picture from the Havrincourt road, stretched the road a little to get the chaps on the banking

Hope this looks OK

Andy

:rolleyes:

post-10939-1233779084.jpg

IanW

No I like my grapes nice'n sweet.....

Upstart websites ! I hope I am a commited member now and very pleased to see these comparisons from

others.

Keep em coming.

Bob

Anthony, in reply to your questions....Red House was at Potijze, in square ref I.3.d, artillery OP built into existing house by 6th Company Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers, a siege company, in 1916. It received direct hit by heavy shell (stayed in use) and effect was measured and recorded.

After the war a sapper returned and found house rebuilt around OP post.

Peter

Anthony, in reply to your questions....Red House was at Potijze, in square ref I.3.d, artillery OP built into existing house by 6th Company Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers, a siege company, in 1916. It received direct hit by heavy shell (stayed in use) and effect was measured and recorded.

After the war a sapper returned and found house rebuilt around OP post.

Peter

Thanks for that. Anything there today?

regards

Anthony

Bob - only joshing. I actually agree with you that getting some really bang on Then & Nows is great. I hope to get some on my next trip over. I have a photo of legion pilgrims at the Ancre Cemetery which could work well.

I really like the Havrincourt morph. This new art form is definitely more than a sum of the parts. As someone has said already, it replicates the feelings you get when you visit the Western Front.

Such a shame the Red House has gone. Obviously the OP was initially camouflaged by the roof. The owner then turned it into a feature "tower" - probably because he couldn't demolish it!

Bob - only joshing. I actually agree with you that getting some really bang on Then & Nows is great. I hope to get some on my next trip over. I have a photo of legion pilgrims at the Ancre Cemetery which could work well.

I really like the Havrincourt morph. This new art form is definitely more than a sum of the parts. As someone has said already, it replicates the feelings you get when you visit the Western Front.

Such a shame the Red House has gone. Obviously the OP was initially camouflaged by the roof. The owner then turned it into a feature "tower" - probably because he couldn't demolish it!

I really like that one too ... very clever. Again, thanks to all - what a great thread!

A great thread, some really remarkable photo's of then and how ( or not so now in some cases) and just love the overlaid one's, keep them coming.

Peter

Kondoa, good photographs of the Riqueval bridge....looks like a big drop into the canal from there!

Suzie Q , Peter, Ian your kind comments are welcomed

From the 2008 trip a view of London Trench Verdun

Andy

:rolleyes:

post-10939-1233991964.jpg

Des

I hope you don't mind but I borrowed your pic of Mill Road from post 214 to compare it with an old pic I took way back in the summer of 2001. My pic is taken looking slightly more to the right and further up the cemetery, but not to bad. The Ulster Tower is just peeping out of the top of the trees on the LHS of my photo.

I really do enjoy this thread each time I log on and I have a feeling there will be a lot of people doing a fair bit of photography out in France this summer. All I can say is keep them coming.

Regards, Tommy.

post-29775-1234018918.jpg

post-29775-1234018949.jpg

Nice one - by the way, is there any evidence that the isolated fir tree in the old pic is still in existence?

Can't remember seeing a fir tree shaped like that the last time I was out. Here is another picture looking the other way, November 05 this time, no fir tree that I can see. <_<

Regards, Tommy.

post-29775-1234030418.jpg