Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Then and Now .....90 years ago and today

Havrincourt

Yes WithDoubleBass It just shows the devastation still left in the town , but how dearly both nations wanted to remember. During our visit last year we were lucky enough to see photographic displays in the shop windows of Soissons

I have created a link here so that the forum can see other original or larger versions ,hope it works! :mellow:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36149499@N05/

Andy

:rolleyes:

Well, phew the link works :D I will keep adding here first though

Here we see a couple of pictures concerning the French air ace George Guynemer killed in Belgium but of course remembered in his home town too

Andy

post-10939-1237053986.jpg

post-10939-1237054013.jpg

post-10939-1237054099.jpg

Phil , never too late , very nice pictures. I am hoping that we can all add more here as the weeks and months go by.

This week I will post some of the request photographs, in the meantime I will work on some other comparisons

Andy

Havrin,

Don't seem to be able to post any more - have exceeded 2 mg apparently so I have put several other photos here

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/Phil...%20and%20after/

if you fancy a look. Photos from 1918 (and a couple from 1929) were taken by Grandad, (John Alan Watson 291 SB RA) and later ones either by my (late) father or me.

Incidentally, I notice you are from Tadcaster - JAW became North Yorks Area Surveyor in the '30s until 1961 and was responsible for building of Tadcaster by-pass dual carriageway. He was also the bloke who managed to get Sutton Hill tarmaced and was very proud of the fact that the A1 through North Yorks was dual carriageway - N Yorks was the first county in Britain to have a dual carriageway road running all the way through it. Apparently he was also responsible for the fact that most villages in N Yorks have a village sign on a Millstone on entry to the village.

You can read his diary for 1915-1916 here

http://www.soar100.freeserve.co.uk/ -

it's a rather primitive website , but my first attempt and will be updated when my wife allows me to retire!

Regards

Phil

I realise that the old painting is supposed to be the 36th moving towards the German second line on 1st July (and this is bascially taken from the edge of Thiepval Wood) .. but a kindly bloke (namely Old Ted) shot me a pile of pics in and around Thiepval Wood area recently and I couldn't resist knocking this together.

Next step is to get a pic of the Pope's Nose section and try blending in the famous painting.

Des

post-1582-1237216646.jpg

Des fantastic view, the painting settles into view very well. I hope that you can get the Popes nose into the blend too, thank you

Here is a labelled view from the Thiepval memorial showing the direction of the attack that day

post-10939-1237316982.jpg

OK Andy - you have got me at it. I'm taking the postcards I bought in Arras back to France in May and will try to take some photos for your thread. Then I'll try to use my limited skills with Photoshop to layer them. Must be the drop in beer sales that's giving you all the time to do this! :P

Jim

Phil

Some nice pictures on the link , I know web sites take a long time to put together, ours is always being changed as we find out more and more from the locals or spending hours in the library!

Your dad is quite famous in these parts what with the A1 and of course the Tadcaster by-pass when I first came here it was just being finished and as a lad had a few days with my bike on the empty roadway........not recommended nowadays :lol:

I hope you don't mind but had a mess around with your pictures

Many thanks to all on the forum

Andy

Beauval

post-10939-1237318018.jpg

Superb Andy.

thanks

David

Some quick replies there!

Just after I had used my one fingured typing skills to update, I find you two lads had got in......will have to get the wife to do some quick typing [well. maybe not]

Mick the shot is part of the revolving panorama view from the memorial tower, I got a screen shot and labelled it......I would love to take my camera up there for real

Jim, you know me been hard at it looking after the stuff on my long shifts, never a shortage for some though :lol: . Get the postcards and camera ready I can't wait to see anything that you can add

Thanks David

A second one for Phil......Beauval

Andy

post-10939-1237319061.jpg

Last March I had the pleasure of a visit up to the top of the Thiepval Memorial. THE and I mean THE high light of my trip. The weather was fantastic and as it was evening you could see for miles...all the way to Amiens.

Sorry off topic but had to boast!!!!!

Regards

TT

And yes its as good as the images suggest!

TT not off topic as we have shown some Thiepval views, it must have been fantastic , my friend tells me that you climb to the top on ladders, is this true?

Andy

[if I had a green smillie I would be showing it here]

Thanks for those posts Andy. The second one where you have amalgamated "before" and "after" of Beauval is brilliant - Dad and Grandad would have been most impressed as I am.

I'm always amazed by how little Beauval changed in the 85 years between photos - the replacement of the 6in Hows with a War Memorial and a couple of lads playing football is the only change!

Incidentally - if the photos are of interest or use to any forum pals please feel free to use them - I can supply higher res scans if you want them.

Regards to all

Phil

Bit late on this thread but hope my contribs are of value

One wonders what the returning inhabitants of Albert made of the new phone box!

Bruce

Hi Des - I couldn't get the battlefield trip link to work - any ideas?

Simmo.

Simmo - is this the one you mean? I'm a bit confused. As far as I recall this is the only 'Battlefield Trip' article I've posted on forum.

Apologies if I'm missing something!

des

......................... my friend tells me that you climb to the top on ladders, is this true?

Andy

[if I had a green smillie I would be showing it here]

......... This is the final climb before you see sunlight again. The views are awesome, - you can imagine yourself being in a balloon looking over the battlefield - you really do get the "big picture"

regards - Tom

post-108-1237373685.jpg

• Admin

The views must be absolutely amazing but I couldn't get up there! I went up the steps at the top of the Villers Brettoneaux memorial on my hands and knees and was only persuaded to have a look at the view after a lot of cajoling.

Michelle (who doesn't do heights)