Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Then and Now .....90 years ago and today

Havrincourt

Thank you geraint , it is a pleasure to post on here

Gardening done :D .........Just looking again at google La Boisselle matches up quite well too

Andy

:rolleyes:

post-10939-1240749707.jpg

who ever took the modern photo certainly risked life & limb to take it !

Mick

Andy,

Great shot, am I correct in thinking the 'now' photo shows the Poppy restaurant on the right?

regards,

Scottie.

Hi Mick, yes must have been a quiet Sunday morning , this road is usually quite busy for this area

Thanks Scottie the Poppy Cafe is on that road in the village, I like the view of the Y crater on the old photograph.....this is the view the Tyneside Scottish would have had down the road on the 1st July

Andy

Thanks for the great picture posts. I am trying to get my bearings. would it be correct to say that the Glory Hole would have been roughly in the area of the white patches on the south side of the road east of the figures on the road?

Anytime Scottie

Hi Connor, yes the chalk spill shows it off quite well, maybe someone has an aerial view to post of the Crater?

Andy

post-10939-1241112295.jpg

Riqueval Bridge 1918 & 2009...the best I could do without falling in the canal,not sure how the 137th Brigade stuck themselves to the bank..it was rather steep :D

Regards Doug

post-696-1241122641.jpg

post-696-1241122702.jpg

Thanks Havrincourt for the post on La Boiselle. I love this thread. I am always amazed at seeing what has and has not changed in the passage of 90 years. Time to go back to the beginning of this thread to pass the evening!

cheers

peter

I have a 1928 shot of British Legion pilgrims at Ancre cemetery with Ulster Tower in the background - it has appeared on the Forum before. I precisely replicated it last Sunday. Position was critical - eventually I found the exact step that it was taken from by reference to position critical details in the foreground. Hopefully , I will post these pics next week when I return from holiday.

Andy & Connor.

I may well be wrong but I always thought that the glory hole was the other side of the road to the bit marked with the red ring in post 461?

regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

(Confused from Hertford!)

Riqueval Bridge 1918 & 2009...the best I could do without falling in the canal,not sure how the 137th Brigade stuck themselves to the bank..it was rather steep

Regards Doug

I LOVE this photo, the contrast with the colour, one with all the men, one without is fascinating to see.

Thanks!

Shirley

Shirley,

what I love about the 'then' picture of the bridge is some of the soldiers are actually wearing 'life belts' I assume as they had a canal/water to cross!

See 'elf n' safety' is not just a modern concern!!!!!! :D

Yet another place on my 'places to visit' list!

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

Yes, definitely a swift, raging torrent :) I agree, on the list to visit one day!

Cheers

Shirley

A wonderful comparison of the Riqueval Bridge Doug, must admit never been myself....another one for the list, I always wonder why they took this picture , was it just that the C in C was there?

Scottie, don't be confused .....if I read Peters question properly I am identifying the Y Sap Crater .....the Glory hole is indeed on the other side of the road.... :blink: .....I often read things at 100 mph!........a good spot

Ian, it would be great to see the comparison, I am still looking at Alans for Tyne Cot too

Keep the replies coming , a great big thank you to all......for me its back to the workhouse until this evening :glare:

Andy

Doug is there anything at the bridge to show that this famous photograph was taken here, a plaque/tourist sign or something?, Shirley more than a life jacket required here, safety net and ropes needed :rolleyes:

Whilst on the subject of the "Glory Hole" , here is a view in the village facing Albert

post-10939-1241213561.jpg

Andy,

thanks for the pm and also sharing this shot of the Glory Hole! Makes me want to hope over for the weekend! :rolleyes:

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

Andy

Western Front Association Memorial on Riqueval Farm Bridge.

Inscription reads 'On September 29 1918 the British 46th (North Midland) Division attacked the powerful defences of the ""Hindenburg Line"" A Company of the 6/North Staffordshire Regiment (137th Brigade) and a detachment of the Royal Engineers seized the Riqueval Farm Bridge, the last one left intact across the St Quentin Canal, an important feature of the German defences. This greatly assisted the forward flow of sappers to complete the successful storming of the ""Siegfried Position"" inaugurating the last chase of the victorious final offensive of the Allies which ended with the Armistice on November 11'.

Regards Doug

post-696-1241299563.jpg

Thank you Doug, thought there would be something, good old WFA

Still working my long weekend stint , before I start the slow walk to work......a comparison from the French link

Andy

post-10939-1241332580.jpg

..........and a morphed picture of troops outside the entrance to the Cemetery

post-10939-1241332923.jpg

Hi all,

Just come across this thread.

Can I just say what an absolute pleasure it's been to read and view the contributions.

A big Hats Off to Andy (Havrincourt) for the work and link, and fantastic links too from Paul, Des and others.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Bob

Hi Mike, thank you .......It is great to see other members putting comparison views and pictures of the battlefields here too, a few pages to go through so that should keep you busy for a while :D

Here is another from the Somme , Caterpillar Valley Cemetery

Andy

post-10939-1241444258.jpg